Axiom advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

alduflux

Axiom advice

Post by alduflux »

I'm looking to buy my first xbow and have decided on a recurve. The axiom is what I have my eyes on.

I will use my bow for whitetails. Probably will never take a shot farther than 40 yards.

What type of accessories should I look to add and why? Specifically bolts and broadheads.

General feedback and opinion about the axiom would be nice.

Why should I NOT buy an axiom but instead get a pricier bow?

Also, can someone explain how the higher end bows are better? I know the lbs are higher so the fps is higher, but other than that isn't it just look, feel, and bells and whistles (scopes, dampeners etc.)? Again this is my first xbow so I don't know how the higher priced bows are better shooting other than fps.

I know this is an Excal site but the other bow i'm comparing the axiom to is the 10pt GT Flex. Any feedback on that comparison would be nice.
Boo

Re: Axiom advice

Post by Boo »

This is probably better answered by those who shoot the Axiom. What I do know about the bow is that the synthetic main frame makes the bow a bit noisier. It is a bit faster owning to the fact that the rail is a tiny bit longer than it's aluminum counter part and the deck surface is slick.
The Ten Point Flex is out right noisey. The cheek piece is too high for mortal men and the bow itself is no where near as stout as an Excalibur. Don't waste your money on the Flex. It's Ten Point's worst bow. It is however good for kids being ultra light in weight but that's not necessarily a good thing. Weight is good for a steady shot.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The Axiom is sold as a package for guys like you. It's the same poundage as a Phoenix [175]. It's an entry level deal and they've sold a ton of them..........

It comes as a kit w/ scope and all for under $500. I'm not exactly sure of what's in the package, but you will want Boltcutter b-heads[Excal's match for the included arrows] a stringing aid to adjust b-height, and a rope cocker. Make sure you get these 3 items............

The scope is not a range compensating type, will do fine w/ above bheads..........

Boo has/had a GT Flex and can comment on it.......
Good luck and welcome to the forum!

OOps, speak of the devil, lol.........He posted already...
"Eze 18:21"
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D the axiom is a great choice, love mine. i put s5's on it, a boo string, a few more acc's on it. at 40 yards i get 1''-2 groups no problem, you cant go wrong with it.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

I bought the Axiom last year & took a buck with it. I added the S5's & I shoot the bolts that came with the package,however I did refletch using the 2" Bohning Blazer vanes with Muzzy 125 3 blade BHs I was having trouble getting consistent flight from the BHs until I refletched with the Bohning Blazers,now the BHs have the same POI as my FPs. Believe me you wont be disappointed with the Axiom it is an awesome XBow & very accurate. You cant shoot the same spot when practicing or you'll be buying alot of Bolts when you damage them. Good Luck
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
rayman

Post by rayman »

I was like you a year ago man, very experienced at hunting but knew nothing about crossbows. After much time on this forum, searching reviews, and deliberation, went with an Axiom package with all factory set up - extra pack of bolts, boltcutter broadheads, stringing aid, two extra strings for when they need to be reserved, I think rope cocking aid comes with it, hip quiver because I can't stand a mounted quiver, extra replacement blades for the boltcutters, target block, and a threaded bolt puller. Have to assemble the bow but nothing to it, I promise. Started shooting snuff can groups out of the box with target points. The string may stretch a little so shoot a few times before you quit adjusting your scope. Not a noticable change in poi when switched to boltcutters. No change when shooting from 17' ladder stands. Every time I shoot a deer, the fletching part of the bolt will barely be sticking out of the ground. Never been more happy with a deer killing tool. :)

BTW - buy all your stuff from Danny Miller - Horizontal Archery 740-483-2312 and you won't have any screw ups. Prices are the same or less and support can't be beat either. :)

Good luck.
HIGHBOW

Post by HIGHBOW »

I love my axiom, I use to shoot very high priced compound bows and I am very glad that I made this purchase. Money well spent in my opinion.
EXCALIBUR Matrix Grizzly & AXIOM SMF, Firebolts and Boltcutters
Hunt safe and always respect what natural gives you!
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

If I could do it all over again I would get the Ibex. Only reason Im saying that is the camo on the Axiom has a little bit of a pinkish hue. I don't think it was an issue pre smf. Plus, I really like the thumbhole stock. I didn't know it existed in my price range til after the purchase. If not the Ibex, I would step up to the 330-350 fps range.

You can find alot of used bows on this site, and others.

I would definitely still buy an excal. You can't really beat recurve limbs.
When I was looking into compound xbows there were so many negatives.
That's why I went with Excal. I couldnt find anything wrong with them, besides the size of the limbs. That's the ONLY thing I dislike about recurve.
If you can live with large limbs, I would say go for it. It has plenty of fps to take any north american game. They are very accurate and reliable. If you bust a string, no worries you can swap it out without a wait or a trip to the store.
I shoot the axiom smf kit with s5 and cheek rest. I started out shooting Rage 2 blade, I cant say I care for them. I just upgraded to spitfire maxx, they are awesome. I haven't checked out the boltcutters yet so I cant comment. I think I had it sighted in maybe 5 or 6 shots.
I think you will be happy with any Excal. Great forum of guys and gals on here for support and the customer service is spectacular. Good Luck.
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
tharris811

Post by tharris811 »

you asked about 10 point flex.I have a 10 point gt curve. I really like it a lot.Opening day is in 10 days.I will have it in the tree stand.it is lite and can drill holes. I also have a exomax & a 10 point tatin all are good bows..
live everyday as it is your last..It may be
bwagss

Post by bwagss »

Last week my crossbow hunting partner purchased the Excalibur Axiom (I've owned a Phoenix since 2006). It came as a package deal for around $530 which included: complete crossbow w/scope, quiver, cocking device, 4 bolts and 4 150gr field points. We were shooting out to 40yds and it was dead nuts on! I'm very impressed with this set up. 10-30yds accuracy was even more impressive.

If I bought an Axiom I'd also purchase a sling, case and broadheads (my partner and I both use Excalibur products exclussively). Maybe even a scope camo cover. The sky is limit on what else you'd like to purchase. Really all you need with the new Axiom package for instant hunting satisfaction is broadheads and your good to go!
When you think you know everything, you find out how much you don't know.
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

I've been extremely well pleased with my Axiom purchase. It's very accurate and probably the best deal going for what you get! All you need are some broadheads and you're ready to go hunting.....
"The only difference between mediocrity and excellence is effort!" M.T. Walton
gameater

Post by gameater »

I just bought my Axiom last week and I love it! I took it out to a crossbow hunting friend's place to sight in the scope on his practice range. In no time I was getting 2" groups @ 40 yards. (this is the first crossbow that I have ever fired!) My friend was very impressed with the Axiom and had actually admitted that mine was quieter than his that cost double. He also said that the safety was unusually silent in comparison to many other crossbows. I cannot wait to get out there and get my first deer with it! I know that the limiting factor will be me, not my Axiom!
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I have an aluminum rail axiom...dead nutz out to fifty!! 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
axiluc

Post by axiluc »

love my axiom is all i can add to all the above comments :D :D :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

Don't own an Axiom (I bought a Phoenix when the first hit the market), but I talked to Danny Miller last week about a crossbow for my son. It sounds like the Axiom would be a fine choice.
Extremely low rate of problems with the synthetic rail. (And the cause of the extremely rare problem with the first few models produced has been corrected.)
I could buy a complete kit with the Axiom for about the price of a bare Vixen II, but I have to decide if my son needs the shorter stock of the Vixen II before I make the final decision. :roll:
wabi