Crossbow wont hold sights?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Odiin

Crossbow wont hold sights?

Post by Odiin »

I just bought an Excalibur Equinox light stuff package, bur it seems like everytime i shoot the xbow i need to re sight in my scope.
It doesnt always click on turns either. I find grouping to be 4-6" from a laying rested position. Should i look at trading my bow off since it's broken my confidence in the bow or is this a common issue?
wabi

Re: Crossbow wont hold sights?

Post by wabi »

Sounds like a bad scope or your mounts aren't tight.
Check all fasteners (did you loctite the scope base screws?).

Bad scope isn't common, but isn't unheard of either.

Contact Excalibur if the problem persists and they will help.
(In the US contact Dan Miller - 740-483-2312)
wabi
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Odiin wrote:I just bought an Excalibur Equinox light stuff package, bur it seems like everytime i shoot the xbow i need to re sight in my scope.
It doesnt always click on turns either. I find grouping to be 4-6" from a laying rested position. Should i look at trading my bow off since it's broken my confidence in the bow or is this a common issue?
Make sure you are cocking it the same each time. When I first started shooting mine I didn't pay good enough attention to the video and I wasn't keeping my strings beside the rail every time while I was pulling and I was shooting left and right until I started cocking it right every time. You should be getting 1 inch or less groups at 20 yards if you are squeezing the trigger. Try shooting it some more and get used to it and see if your group size shrinks.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Odiin

Post by Odiin »

I'm using the C2 cocking crank i think it's consistant on cocking, but maybe not?
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

As said ck yer rings mount even ck yer stock screws the Riser bolts. I have saw then have loose trigger screws & it would spray arrows when shot. No don't sell yer Excal, have faith work out the issues my friend. They don't make any better crossbows than Excal! This is Learnin class 101 lets sort it out. I own 3 Excals & i have had issues through the yrs but they are always fixable! :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
lscha

Post by lscha »

I just had that problem. My Vixen shoots dead on ALL THE TIME, so when I started shooting high and left I had about 4 hours of frustration trying to adjust my scope (I was by myself). I finally realized that my rail screws were loosening. I tightened them and all was good for 3 shots and the same thing was happening all over again. Seems it just took 3 shots to loosen the screws again. It is now fixed and all is good. The point is, loose scope screws = erratic arrows, every time. The crossbow always shoots where you point it. :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Odiin

Post by Odiin »

There is a larger gap in my rings on one side. Maybe i can try re mounting the scope, if the doesn't work then maybe i can send the scope to be repaired. Thanks for the help so far. Makes me feel better about my choice in bow. I'll keep you guys posted tomorrow
tsc

Post by tsc »

Odiin wrote:There is a larger gap in my rings on one side. Maybe i can try re mounting the scope
That sounds like the problem right there. If the rings are "off kilter" it will bind on the scope when mounting and with the crossbow shooting, it may throw the scope around. Basically, the scope is free floating and not solid on the crossbow (definitely not what you want).

good luck, hope you get it resolved
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Odiin wrote:There is a larger gap in my rings on one side. Maybe i can try re mounting the scope, if the doesn't work then maybe i can send the scope to be repaired. Thanks for the help so far. Makes me feel better about my choice in bow. I'll keep you guys posted tomorrow
1....Back out the screws on the rings.
2....Then turn them in evenly until the gap is equal all the way around both rings.
3....Tighten down until just snug and the gap is even all the way around.
4....Make sure the crosshair is level.
5....Then use a crossing pattern to tighten screws by half turns but do not over-tighten.
6....Stop this process once the scope feels solid.
7.... there will still be a small gap, but should be even at all locations.

This should all be explained in the video that came with the bow.
Good luck.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The most hassle is checking the trigger screws, one has to remove the stock to get at them .A quick test is to try and wiggle your scope mounted, up and down, Any movement there and it's to the pits, lol.

The next likely culprit is loose mount crews, followed by non plumb cross hairs in the scope. Double check it by putting a torpedo level on the rail while the bow is on sand bags, hang a 1/4" rope at 20-30 yds and see if vert hair lines up w/ it. Re-Test

use a braided rope, the twisted ones slowly unwind w/ a weight on bottom.

All the while watching the b-height for changes from new string. Adj and Re-Test

Next, take scope and mount off and install peep and pin. Set the pin 1 7/16" above base bottom and the edge of it a thumbnail shy of flush to inside edge of dovetail. Re-Test. That will tell you if the scope is dinged.

Actually, just before starting this would be the time to blue loc-tite the whole bow.............Saves hunting problems vs game...........
"Eze 18:21"
Odiin

Post by Odiin »

I think i discovered some of my issues.

1) I bought it from a dealer so i didnt need to watch the video to install i walked out of Cabellas with it in my hand.

2) i remounted the scope and it looks nicer and the crosshairs seem perfect as i put a level to it.

3) i used practice tips 150g excal brand tips. i could hit through the same hole consistantly, but then i switched to my hunting tips. 150g excal bolt cutters.
The arrow was way off again.

I resighted it in and can know the red out of my targets at 20y, but i cant switch back to practice tips and be on center again. Is this normal?

Also, i am having an issue shooting through my foam target, a bale of hay and it goes half way through 3/4" ply wood and dulled one of my good blade, so i could only shot one arrow to avoid wasting my tips.

Any ideas on a better shooting setup? I dont just use this to hunt, its a stress reliever to me too, so excessive use is my idea.
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

Its normal that fixed blade bhs dont hit the same spot as your field points.
Most people sight their bows in with what they plan on hunting with and then in the off season resight with field tips fo practice.
Even when I use mechanical heads I have to waste one to sight in my bow.
There are a variety of target bags you can buy for practice or even make.
A lot of people that use fixed or even mechanicals spend a good bit of time resharpening them.
Good Luck
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D i really like the boltcutter too, just have to adjust my scope alittle to sight them in. good luck.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
myflatline

Post by myflatline »

Don't give up, all good advise to check on. I had 1 bad scope and also finally found out my scope rail is bent. Right now I just put a cardboard shim under the front of the scope until after the season, then will be contacting D.M.
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Odiin,
You might consider switching to a different B.H. The Swhacker gets great reviews on this sight and I can personally confirm that they shoot the same P.O.I. as my field tips.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String