First Crossbow Kills Leave me Wondering about Broadheads?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AvianQuest

First Crossbow Kills Leave me Wondering about Broadheads?

Post by AvianQuest »

My son and I both scored on some tender does using our new Vortex crossbows with Bolt Cutter broadheads.

Both were shot at 20 yards, and both ran about 20 yards before going down. My son's deer ran in the open so he saw it fall, while mine ducked into heavy cover. Both were hit just behind the shoulder with the bolt passing out in the mid rib area on the other side.

My only concern is that there was almost no blood on the ground from my son's deer and I didn't see any at all from my shot. I watched the FireNock disappear right where I was aiming so I knew I hit it right, but I was dismayed at not seeing a blood trail. I was relieved at finding the deer along the deer trail that I thought it picked, but what if the shot were off a bit and the deer ran off through a maze of trails with no blood trail to follow?

Upon dressing my deer, all the blood had remained inside the cavity but with plenty of damage, not unlike what is typical from a rifle bullet.

So now I'm wondering if I should switch to the 100 grain Excalibur Mechanical broadheads? And why isn't that made in 150 grain? I take it that heavier Boltcutter is more accurate than lighter broadheads, while the Mechanical is plenty accurate in 100 grain plus there's some speed advantage, plus less wind drift.

In the past, I've read of problems with Mechanicals, but Excalibur's version looks pretty foolproof?
Nighthunter

Re: First Crossbow Kills Leave me Wondering about Broadheads

Post by Nighthunter »

Good questions and since I'm new to crossbow hunting as well, I'm looking forward to the replies because I'm shooting the same broadhead this season.
"The only difference between mediocrity and excellence is effort!" M.T. Walton
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Boltcutters are 150 gr for higher FOC needed by some b-heads, they work well w/ firebolts as you've seen. There's no need for higher weight mechanicals, they shoot good at lower FOC's, at least imho.

Your deer didn't run far enough for the cavity to overflow, so to speak. It happens. Keep the faith and congrats!
"Eze 18:21"
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I had the exact same results with my 1st CB kill. It seems that the blood trail did not start until the doe ran about 30 yards and then there were big splashes whenever she hit the ground. My son helped me find her after approximately 75 yards in thick brush.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
HIGHBOW

Post by HIGHBOW »

man 20 yards isn't very far for them to travel and it just hadn't bled enough yet to get it coming out, must have been excellent double lung shots. CONGRATS! I wouldn't change a thing
EXCALIBUR Matrix Grizzly & AXIOM SMF, Firebolts and Boltcutters
Hunt safe and always respect what natural gives you!
wabi

Post by wabi »

If the pic is showing the entrance wound it looks a little high and far back. (I know looks can be deceiving and if the deer was quartering away and well below you that would be a good hit.)

If the exit wound was also high it wouldn't leave a heavy blood trail right away, if at all.
I usually try for a hit in the circled area (on a broadside shot on level ground) when bowhunting, it leaves a much better blood trail. Think "top of heart" when aiming. :wink:

Not trying to be critical, just trying to be helpful.
And CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! on your Excalibur kill!
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

My friend yer shot is about 6-8 too high & 4-5" too fer back fer good blood trail. Put yer xhair tight behind leg & 4" up from brisket/sternum pop the heart & bottom of lungs & watch the red paint show! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

I have had the same problem with former B H,s :roll: I just switched to 125 grn. Swhackers, and problem solved, :) see my post, (Swackers Scored ) you'l see what i mean. :wink:

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

for those who use swhackers do you find the rubber band a hassle. ive used rubber band model broadheads years ago and just taking them in and out of the quiver ate rubber bands and o rings.thats why im a grimm reaper and spitfire user today but i see great reports on the swhackers.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Congrats on the purchase of your crossbows and the deer kills and welcome to the forum. I have used both the X-Act and the Boltcutter Broadheads and with good success. I am still using them.This year I will be using the X-Act Broadheads. I switch back and forth every year.
Raymond
AvianQuest

Post by AvianQuest »

Appreciate all the comments!

The photo shows the exit side. The entrance is on the other side just behind the shoulder. The shot was on level ground from a popup blind. Perhaps the impact was higher than it should have been.
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

foofoo wrote:for those who use swhackers do you find the rubber band a hassle. ive used rubber band model broadheads years ago and just taking them in and out of the quiver ate rubber bands and o rings.thats why im a grimm reaper and spitfire user today but i see great reports on the swhackers.
They don't have rubber bands or "o" rings,s they have a flat, shrink band,, and they stay in place very well,,,, But you can't shove them into your quiver too far or it will cut them,,, and that is no problem at all. :)

Dave :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
wabi

Post by wabi »

AvianQuest wrote:Appreciate all the comments!

The photo shows the exit side. The entrance is on the other side just behind the shoulder. The shot was on level ground from a popup blind. Perhaps the impact was higher than it should have been.
I'd say if you'd lowered the hit 4-5" you'd have had plenty of blood on the ground. Still a good shot, but just too high for much blood to spill out.
wabi
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

congrats on the does!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

It is not uncommon with any B.H. to not get any blood in the first 30 yards but the bolt cutter did its job congrats on your harvest.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.