Openin Day with Black Powders

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GooGoos

Openin Day with Black Powders

Post by GooGoos »

Well this morning a guy my dad works with Johnny, dad, and I went huntin. Johnny went in one spot, dad in one, and me in another. The spot dad had picked out for me he found last season while I was in boot camp and told me it should be a great spot for this mornin. I got settled in the stand and ready to go at 0630. At about 0730 we heard Johnny shoot. A few minutes later, I thought I heard something walking in the mud and I heard a squirrell barking too. Well I couldn't see anything; 15minutes later I see a deer commin through the thicket. She steps behind some thicket and stays back there feeding at 50yds. I must have watched her for almost an hour behind the thicket. She finally feeds off and disappears into the swamp at 0830. About an hour later, I thought I heard hogs grunting behind me in the pine thicket. Well, as it got closer it sounded more like a buck gruntin; I stand up and look, and sure enough I see brush moving but can't identify what it it. A few moments later it gets real quite, then I see a white flag walking straight out behind me walking briskly; wasn't running. 1000 comes by and I get out the tree and meet up with dad at the truck. He tells me he saw what look like a brute of a buck that was too far for a shot, and also tells me Johnny shot a 4point buck. We get over to where Johnny parked his vechicle and sure enough he has a nice lil 2x2.

I got the doe on video and after lookin back at it, dad told me I could have killed that deer easy. And now that I watched it a couple of times, I'd have to agree with him. Just at the time when I seen the deer, I didn't feel comftorable takin the shot in the thicket. Goin back this after in the same spot.
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
Boo

Re: Openin Day with Black Powders

Post by Boo »

Good girl! You made the right decision to do what you were comfortable with. You have all the makings of a great hunter and teacher!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

Not a bad little 2x2.
Good on you for not taking a shot ur not comfortable with.
I would have done the same. I passed on a nice doe the other evening because she didnt present a good shot.
Thanks for sharing.

dayelight
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
diesel

Post by diesel »

Boo wrote:Good girl! You made the right decision to do what you were comfortable with. You have all the makings of a great hunter and teacher!
X2
Very well said. you will know when the shot is right for you.
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

X3 You made the right decision as a safe and ethical hunter! Good luck on your next hunt...
"The only difference between mediocrity and excellence is effort!" M.T. Walton
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Yep, whenever you take a shot, you don't have anyone to answer to except yourself. YOU and only YOU have to make that decision and make sure that you're happy with it. :wink:

I've had plenty of shots over the years that I "probably could have" made, but I'll never know because I didn't take the shot. I'd rather be 100% confident that I can make the shot and the deer is going to go down than anything less than that. :wink:

Congrats to Johnny on his deer! :D Looks like a nice tender one! You should make sure that he shares some of that backstrap with you. :wink: :lol:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Never wrong to pass a shot if you aren't 100% sure it is ethical.

Congratulations to Johnny on his buck!
wabi
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Great choice your day is coming to put you one down soon
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Hey you tell Johnny congrats on his nice deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Boo wrote:Good girl! You made the right decision to do what you were comfortable with. You have all the makings of a great hunter and teacher!
Got to agree. Live and learn and if you're comfortable with the shot take it...if not wait for a better shot. Good job and good luck next time out.

Congrats to Johnny on his nice buck too. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads