Hearing enhancers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Hearing enhancers

Post by sumner4991 »

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... g+enhancer

Anybody tried these things? I can't hear as good as I used to, but, I've always counted on my eyesight most of the time anyway.

They have them at the local store for $16 . . .I was tempted, but, the tight wallet got the best of me.

FYI . . .I ditched all my plastic inserts today. Finally convienced myself that they are too slick to keep the string from sliding under . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Re: Hearing enhancers

Post by wabi »

Tried them a few years ago. They really boost the sound of the wind blowing. :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

sumner4991 wrote:http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... g+enhancer

Anybody tried these things? I can't hear as good as I used to, but, I've always counted on my eyesight most of the time anyway.

They have them at the local store for $16 . . .I was tempted, but, the tight wallet got the best of me.

FYI . . .I ditched all my plastic inserts today. Finally convienced myself that they are too slick to keep the string from sliding under . . .
How many times does that dog have to bite ya? I dont care for or trust the plastic suckers.Roughed up, squared up, there is still that thought in the back of my mind. The aluminum never has done that to me. Loose a little FOC, and gain a lot of peace of mind.Good call.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

flightattendant100 wrote:
sumner4991 wrote:http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... g+enhancer

How many times does that dog have to bite ya? I dont care for or trust the plastic suckers.Roughed up, squared up, there is still that thought in the back of my mind. The aluminum never has done that to me. Loose a little FOC, and gain a lot of peace of mind.Good call.
Bit me a few times . . .kept blaming it on different things . . .of course, I meant plastic nocks . . .not inserts.

wabi . . .I figured that might be the case . . .did they muffle the noise from a gun shot?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
strum

Post by strum »

i knew it would come to this for you ..and they got a good sell on walkers too :lol: :lol:

just messin with you scott..not sure about those but i tried some walmart cheepies a few years back ..complete junk
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
wabi

Post by wabi »

. . .I figured that might be the case . . .did they muffle the noise from a gun shot?
I believe they did, but not 100% sure. (You'll find your memory fades with age, too. :lol: :lol: :lol: )
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'm fighting old age on a daily basis. However, Mr. Old seems to be winning the battle lately.

Went from dragging the deer out to buying a cart. Now, I'm looking at ways to improve my hearing and I have little thingys in my eyes floating around. Getting older is still the best option.

I go for one of those up the arse checkups tomorrow. I'm already hungry. Can't wait to drink the prep juice.

Go ahead . . .beat a man while he's down. I won't remember it tomorrow anyhow. :shock:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ace_2930

Post by ace_2930 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have bad hearing too. Haven't heard a deer in the leaves in ...I don't know how many years. Totally rely on sight. I have not tried the enhancers you are talking about, but I do have a pair of muffs that do the same thing. I wear them anytime I hunt with a gun. As was said, they really enhance the stuff you don't want to hear, so I keep them turned down as low as I can, but these do cut out the gunshot noise....very well. While I can't do anything to get my hearing back, I try to do anything I can to not lose more. So I would recommend something like that.....for gun hunting. Whatever you get, make sure it has a good NRR rating. If it's not rated it's probably not worth having.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
rayman

Post by rayman »

Can't hear worth a flip anymore. Can't hear what my wife says half the time then she gets mad and shouts when I keep saying "what." Mostly from shooting pistols when younger I think. Doesn't matter for deer hunting but would be nice to be able to hear turkeys for spring gobbler. Got a game ear and can't stand it. Too much background noise. Hunted with a guy that uses the Walker ear phones last turkey season and they seemed pretty nice. Not cheap though. :)
the elf

Post by the elf »

If your hearing is bad or getting bad---have a proper hearing test done-------and get fitted for a proper set of hearing aid[s]. It may be pricey at the start---but your enjoyment of life in general will greatly improve.I was born with only 1 ear that worked;and when I finally had a proper test done--because I couldn't tell where the rustling wings were, when duck hunting---hearing aid was needed.The set I have now has a decibel limit [upper] that shuts my aid off if it gets too loud. The one thing I tell everybody is that I am amazed how much noise a single leaf makes as it bounces from branch to branch on it's way to the ground.
So--- since my hearing aid arrived---my life has improved greatly;and I can still say whaaat in those situations where I think it's needed. :lol: :lol: :lol:
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

I have the Walker Alpha power muffs, they really,do a good job, but they will enhance the wind noise, But on those calm quiet mornings i can hear a squirrel fart :shock: from a long way off, they go dead instantly at any loud noise, such as a gun shot, :wink: I got mine on sale at bass pro, for $49.95 they have them marked down pretty often. The best $50.00 bucks i ever spent :wink: It's amazing what i was missing out on in the woods !!! :D

Dave :wink:
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I couldn't check your link, my computer, but I had a similar product from Radio Shack a few years ago, under $10 that worked amazingly well. I had to fiddle w/ it a bit to get rid of the wind.

On hearing aids; I have them from the VA, had a pair stolen in a tank bag on a bike a few years ago, cost was $5200 to replace them, which I did for free, but still.........
"Eze 18:21"
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Scott, I use the Walker Game Ear HD. It works well on enhancing sound. The only knock I have on them is the direction which you think the game or sound is truly coming from. Sounds like the left coming from the right. Money is tight but two is the way to go. That is to get true since of direction.
Scott
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
wabi

Post by wabi »

sumner4991 wrote:I'm fighting old age on a daily basis. However, Mr. Old seems to be winning the battle lately.

Went from dragging the deer out to buying a cart. Now, I'm looking at ways to improve my hearing and I have little thingys in my eyes floating around. Getting older is still the best option.

I go for one of those up the arse checkups tomorrow. I'm already hungry. Can't wait to drink the prep juice.

Go ahead . . .beat a man while he's down. I won't remember it tomorrow anyhow. :shock:
The doctor put me on 5 days of Prednisone yesterday to see if it helps my hip. He thinks arthritis might be the culprit. :roll:
The walk in to my stand (downhill) is quick & easy, but the walk out (uphill) requires a rest about every 50 feet and I'm limping badly by the time I reach the truck. :(
wabi