Dissipator Bar or S5

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ScottGott

Dissipator Bar or S5

Post by ScottGott »

Hello,

I am new to Crossbows and hunting in general. I just purchased the Axiom (it arrived 2 days ago) and have loved the target shooting I have done so far. I do plan to hunt eventually but I want to become proficient with the crossbow first.

I am looking to make the crossbow a bit quieter. My question is, which will make the crossbow quieter the dissipator bar or the S5? Or are there other devices that will help with out slowing it down to much?

This is a really great group of people on the forum, I have been able to find answers to almost all my other questions.

Thanks
Scott
DRAINO

Re: Dissipator Bar or S5

Post by DRAINO »

Welcome to the forum. It is the best place to learn & grow with crossbow hunting. I have both on my Equinox and it's really quit. Enjoy and be safe. Remember keep your "FINGERS" below the rail!!

Cheers
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I have the S5's on my xbow and dissipator bars I don't really know about these 2 quieting your xbow. The bars should take some of the vibrations out of the limbs quieting it some and the S5's should take some of the twang out of the string. From what I've read about the S5's is they will you when you dry fire your xbow from possibly braking the limbs because these will take the shock.

I recently served in some rubber catwiskers on my string and this has seemed to help take out more of the twang of the string than anything.

I also killed 2 deer this year with my xbow with nothing on it. They heard the noise I'm sure but they didn't react quick enough. One was at 35 yards and the other was at 28 yards on relaxed deer.

The noise issue will probably be a personal choice for you instead of what is the best thing to do.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

I'd put an S5 and cat whiskers. Heavier arrows would also help. Other than that I don't think anyone has taken the time to silence the bow much more.
If I owned one I would spend the time experimenting with reversable modifications.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
ScottGott

Post by ScottGott »

Thanks for the quick replys.

I think I will get the S5 kit and see how that does and maybe some whiskers and experiment.

I guess I should get a better string at some point and if I want a Boo string I need to get to ordering soon. :)
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Welcome to the forum Scott Gott, I have them both on mine, my "Equinox" came with the dissipator bars, on when i bought it, I later put the S5's on, if i was to choose, just one of them i would choose the S 5,s :) The deer 30 yds. and under dont have time to respond to the noise, :wink: I "personaly, :roll: think there is too much concerne put into noise, :shock: Accuracy and short yds. will kill all the deer ya want, IMHO :) Good luck to ya :D

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Jim22

Post by Jim22 »

I have an Axiom and was shooting it this week at my sons house. Sounded pretty loud to me and it does have the S-5 on it. My son even said it was kind of loud. So I got an idea, told my son to shoot the bow while I was in the general vicinity of the target which was 20 yards away to get the deers perspective on the sound of the crossbow (only do this with someone you really trust, ha ha). The sound of the bow was not very loud at all. The arrow hitting the target made more noise and there wasn't much lag time between the bow going off and the arrow hitting the target, just a small fraction of a second. I think Excaliburs are oly real loud to the shooter or anyone close to the shooter but thats just me and I don't hear too good anyhow.
strum

Post by strum »

Boo nailed it ..S5 and whiskers..
too me the whiskers did the best job out of anything i have tried..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
gameater

Post by gameater »

You have to compare apples to oranges here! My friend and I compaired our crossbows for noise last night. Mine is an Axiom without any noise suppressing gizmo's. His is a compound with wiskers and bars. Guess which one was considerably louder. His! And with that "noisy" crossbow, he consistantly gets his deer, usually on his first time out for the season!