#3 Down For The Year

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

#3 Down For The Year

Post by Big58cal »

Yeah, notice the time. :roll: Just got done a little while ago skinning and deboning.

Hunted pretty much all day Saturday. Had a screwy ESE wind, so I had to hunt on the ground in the morning to get the wind in my favor. Didn't see anything though. Switched to another place around 11:00 AM and hung my climber (had to find me a new tree with the wind the way it was). Sat there until dark. Had 3 big ol' gobblers come in sometime, but never could get a shot at any of them. :x

I had been getting pictures of a decent sized doe with 2 little ones and I had vowed to make her babies orphans. :lol: All 3 of them came in right at dark. Picked out the momma and unleashed the Equinox! :D She was angled a little more than I thought so I didn't get the best hit in the world. :? At first it looked good, but when I took up the track half an hour later, I jumped her up. Backed out and went down to the truck to get a better light.

Went back after about an hour and found 3 spots of blood and that was it. Looked and looked, but couldn't find anything. At that point, I just started looking for the deer and still looking for some blood. 3-4 times I "smelled" the deer and knew she was around there somewhere. After about an hour, I finally found her. I hit one lung, the liver, and the arrow had exited, slicing her knee on her back leg and disabling that leg on the opposite site.

Though my shot wasn't perfect, the Swachers definitely made the difference on the shot with the 2.25" cut diameter. :D

Got back up here a little after 12:00 AM. :roll:

Didn't take any pictures in the field because it was dark and I was by myself. Got some in the truck but haven't downloaded them off the camera yet. I'll do it after I get something to eat and get some sleep! :wink:

95 lbs and 2.5 years old. :D
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
wabi

Re: #3 Down For The Year

Post by wabi »

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes those huge cut mechanicals can turn a bad hit into a good story. I had it happen several years ago with a 6pt and a Wasp JakHammer. Ended up cutting the liver in half and he only went about 30 yards.
wabi
Normous

Post by Normous »

How many tags left? :)
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Nighthunter

Post by Nighthunter »

Congrats and looking forward to the pics!
"The only difference between mediocrity and excellence is effort!" M.T. Walton
frisky

Post by frisky »

congrats on the deer. :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Boy hidy anther fat nanny, congrats & shoot on stick! :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Pictures :D My jerky and trail mix at noon yesterday were long gone by 6 AM this morning, not to mention having gotten up at 3:45 Saturday morning. :lol: Feel much better now after a little food and sleep. :wink:

I've actually got 1 more doe tag left, but I doubt I'm going to fill it. From what I've been seeing on the camera, there just aren't that many deer down there. Other than the momma and 2 little ones, I've been able to identify 2-3 other does that I've gotten pictures of. My brother has yet to start hunting yet. :lol: Figure I better save some for him. :wink: He's mainly a buck hunter, but will usually take a doe later in the season if he hasn't gotten anything.

You can see the entrance hole in the picture of her hanging. I've been trying to play everything back in my mind and I don't know if I just didn't notice the angle she was at or if she turned a little just as I shot. I think she must have started to turn because the shot was a couple inches further back than where I was aiming. At 23 yds, my scope is pretty well on. :wink:

Gotta love those Swhackers! :D :mrgreen:

HIGHBOW

Post by HIGHBOW »

Congrats to you Mark! I haven't even fired a shot yet and you have a freezer full.
Man wasn't that moon yesterday morning so pretty. I was sitting in my stand at BGAD by 6:45am and I just knew it was going to be a day of seeing deer as I had seen 12 does and 6 bucks on Friday while scouting. Well, I saw the buck at 7:15am , 8 point about 14 " wide and so I thought this is going to be a good day. Then at 8am I see a huge 10 point at about 80 yards standing in the road I came in on and I had to sit and watch as this 160 class 20+ wide walks into the woods and goes away from me. In the next 3 hours I see 6 more bucks all were 7to 9 point and none over the 15 inch minimum. The wind started getting bad and I had a button buck to bed down 20 ft from my tree, I finally came down while he laid there and watched me until I removed my stand. I never saw one single doe on Saturday but the bucks were sure on the move. There was two bucks checked in at the time I left and both were really nice.
EXCALIBUR Matrix Grizzly & AXIOM SMF, Firebolts and Boltcutters
Hunt safe and always respect what natural gives you!
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Nice fat doe I'm glad you backed out and let her expire its hard to track them after they jump up and run a while. Your entrance hole looked good she may have tried to get out of the way of the arrow which changed your exit point.

Congrats on another one.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Real nice deer there. Congrats 58. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
roland

Post by roland »

nice deer congrats
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Thanks folks! :D She should be some good eating. Been thinking about it and I'm kind of torn between going squirrel hunting now and taking the Excalibur and blind and seeing if I can get one of them big 'ol thunder chickens I saw. :wink: Got pictures of 9 gobblers that at least 1-2 of them are just begging for an arrow. :lol:

VixChix

Post by VixChix »

CONGRATS on the recovery and the harvest!!!

I think I missed your first two - I've fallen behind on reading the forum lately. :? My apologies and belated congrats on the others too! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

congrats on the deer!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Way to go Mark.....do you think she jumped the arrow? 23 yards is close. If she was walking or moving when you shot I'd say maybe but if she was still??? Maybe it glanced off a rib? With that Swhacker I have a hard time going there too. Twig close to her hit the fletching and kicked the arrow a bit?

Bottom line is Great job following through and finding the deer.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><