Time for a new String?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ScottGott

Time for a new String?

Post by ScottGott »

I feel quite certain I need a new string. I am assuming that it is no longer a good idea to shoot the bow with this string on it.

This happened after only about 100 shots. It was my impression that strings last a bit longer. It was the string that came on the bow. That I just got about a week ago. I had not waxed the string yet. It seemed to have some wax on it out of the box.

Should I get another Excel string or get the Flemish? I think I can get either at the local BassPro shop. (along with some string wax)

Thanks
Boo

Re: Time for a new String?

Post by Boo »

Are you in the US? You did not fill in your location.
Yes, stop shooting that string.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
peter p

Post by peter p »

Looks like you need new serving not a new string.
Boo

Post by Boo »

peter p wrote:Looks like you need new serving not a new string.
Sorry, you are right. I was thinking if he's in the US he should call Danny Miller and he's lmost likely to replace the string. Moreover he might want to repair the trigger unit that is eating the serving.
ScottGott

Post by ScottGott »

Yes I am in the US. Georgia. I'll update my info.

Can I replace the severing myself? I'm pretty mechanical.

I have not taken a close look at the trigger mechanism, but I did notice that where the bow attaches to the rail there might be a bit of a bump (that's not quite the right term...) where the 2 parts join. I know there is a name for the "bow" assembly but i can't remember it (I'm still pretty new to crossbows :) ). I'll take a picture and post shortly.

Thanks for the help.
Boo

Post by Boo »

You can but you need a serving tool, serving and preferably a jig. Your fastest solution is to call Danny at 740 483 2312. Danny is one of the US warranty reps for the US but more importantly he's Excalibur's string maker. You should also tell him that the serving tore on the right side where the latch holds the string.
ScottGott

Post by ScottGott »

Here is the picture of where the deck meets the frame. There is clearly a little lip where the two meet, but it is smooth to the touch, no sharp edges or anything.

The trigger mechanism parts appear to be smooth but I have not taken it apart to inspect it more closely.

I guess I'll give Danny a call.

But in the meantime should i get another Excel string or the Flemish. I will order the Boo string also, but I understand that it will be a while before that one will get here.

Or do i need to figure out what is eating the string first?
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

When you buy an Excal its good advice to buy an extra string so if you shoot much you will need to replace the serving. With the extrta string you just switch them out. Boo gave you some great advice and he also makes great strings and has a neat string jig on his website. It does look like one of your latches has a rough spot on it.

You can also save your next string by shooting it a while and when it shows wear simply flip it over by excanging sides. Mine was a little rough on servings when I first got mine but it seems to get better the more you shoot it.

You can take the scope and scope rail off yourself and get to the latches pretty easy and use a 1/4 inch wide piece of about 1200 grit Emory cloth and smooth them yourself one at a time if you are confident in doing so. I did this from Boo's website I think and it did make a difference in serving life.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

Three bits of information.
It takes a very minor irregularity to eat that serving in 100 shots. When a latch needs polishing you often cannot see what is wrong until you have that individual part in your hand with a good bright light.
The right side finger of the latch is usually the culprit.
Your string has 0.026" Angel Majesty and a replacement from Danny will be 0.036' Angel Majesty which is far more durable than 0.026" Angel Majesty.
ScottGott

Post by ScottGott »

Thanks for the replys.

I just looked at the information on your website Boo. And I watched the tutorials on resevering the string. It looks like I will have to get quite a few new tools to do that, but I think it will be a good investment.

I will definitely contact Danny.

I also read the information on polishing the latches. I already have all the stand paper and polishing material (from polishing pinewood derby car axles, horay for cub scouts :) ) I will probably do the polishing myself.

Boo thank you for making all that great information available on your web site.
ScottGott

Post by ScottGott »

I talked to Danny and he is sending some new strings.

He wants me to try the first new one and see if it's serving breaks fairly quickly also. If so he said I could send the stock back and they would fix it up. Pretty good customer service.

Again thanks for the replys and help
strum

Post by strum »

ScottGott wrote:I talked to Danny and he is sending some new strings.

He wants me to try the first new one and see if it's serving breaks fairly quickly also. If so he said I could send the stock back and they would fix it up. Pretty good customer service.

Your right when you say pretty good service..thats the best thing i found about the excals,,,what part of georgia ?
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
strum

Post by strum »

strum wrote:
ScottGott wrote:I talked to Danny and he is sending some new strings.

Your right when you say pretty good service..thats the best thing i found about the excals,,,what part of georgia ?
soory i didnt read 8) lilburn....im a bit too far north for you ..i was going to say come on over and ill fix that string up..and the offer is open anyway..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
amstaffer

Post by amstaffer »

I'm having the same kind of problem ,less than 150 shots on the Flemish Dyneema from my new Vortex and the serving looks beat to hell,I have an extra Dyneema flemish I got from Dan Miller, going to call tomorrow and get a couple more, won't have time to send bow to him till after hunting season ,if that's what he will want .sure wish he had an e-mail or web site
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D my axiom did that too when i first got it, got around 200 shots and my servin looked that same way, got some differnt strings and it got better over time. now i have over 1000 shots and servin looks great still( thanks to a boo string boo gave me at boofest). i love that string!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.