What To Do After A Fall

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dave1

What To Do After A Fall

Post by Dave1 »

I have seen alot of advice, encouragement, and instruction regarding the use a safety harness and safety line when hunting from an elevated stand, but I haven't ever seen any information as to what to do if a fall occurs and you are now hanging on the side of the tree. If you did fall from a hunting stand and was using a safety harness and line, how would you get down?

You may be alive, but hanging on the side of a tree with blood being restricted from your lower extremities, and in a different threatening situation. If hunting alone in a remote area with no one nearby to come check on you and/or help, the risk becomes much greater. If someone was near, how would they help you get down?

Hummm...... lots of possible dangerous scenarios.

Better carry an easily accessible cell phone with you and hope you have an adequate signal to make a call for help.

Dave
strum

Re: What To Do After A Fall

Post by strum »

Dave i think those are realy good questions..i spent a little time last season testing my harness and found that its not an easy task to get back in control after the fall..im glad i did it so ill know what to do ..one thing i found is if i can get turned around ..facing the tree i can get pressure off my legs and get back in the stand..i think i ff my stand was on the ground and i was hanging and could not call anyone ..i would try to hug the tree and shimmy down ..
they tell us to keep a screw in step in our pocket too that would give somthing to hang on too ..or rest your legs on ..
i recommend too every one to test their harness out at home. get just high enough off the ground to hang and have a friend there to help..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Normous

Post by Normous »

If you used climbing sticks or screw in steps then climb back into your elevated stand using your steps. My Summit climbing stand (Bullet/ Viper) has a surround bar that makes it almost impossible to fall out. My lower platform is tethered to the top platform so it can't drop far in case of crap.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

No matter the type of stand I set up my tether in a way so that I can stand or sit without adjusting it.
It won't allow me to fall below my stand platform.
My bow I leave hanging on the side of the tree so I don't drop it or worse yet have it go off.
If I hear something approaching the bow is just a short reach away.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
cmcsmitty

Post by cmcsmitty »

Any time your wearing a harness for fall arrest you need a rescue plan. Cell phone, make sure someone knows where you are, when to expect you back. If you do fall you have a very short window to get back in the stand or onto the ground. If you hang for long in your harness the blood flow is restricted in to your legs, and your blood pools in your abdomin. Most harness mfgs sell an optional foot loop that attaches to the side of your harness. You unroll them from the harness put your feet into the loops. This allows you to stand up in your harness to get blood flow. Temporary support but enough to hopefully give you time to rescue yourself or be rescued. Harnesses can kill you just as easy as a fall if not used properly. Enjoy your hunt, but get home safe.

Rick
Blackout Ibex "Dark Angel"
Big John GT 2's
PSE X-Force Vendetta
Traditions Pursuit XLT .50 Cal
DaGriz Custom
strum

Post by strum »

cmcsmitty wrote:Any time your wearing a harness for fall arrest you need a rescue plan. Cell phone, make sure someone knows where you are, when to expect you back. If you do fall you have a very short window to get back in the stand or onto the ground. If you hang for long in your harness the blood flow is restricted in to your legs, and your blood pools in your abdomin. Most harness mfgs sell an optional foot loop that attaches to the side of your harness. You unroll them from the harness put your feet into the loops. This allows you to stand up in your harness to get blood flow. Temporary support but enough to hopefully give you time to rescue yourself or be rescued. Harnesses can kill you just as easy as a fall if not used properly. Enjoy your hunt, but get home safe.

Rick
well said Rick,,,
when i was testing my new HSS harness.. i also tested my old harness i had depended on for years..i found that if i had ever fell i had about 2 mins or less then afixiation... realy taught me somthing..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Ont_Excal wrote:No matter the type of stand I set up my tether in a way so that I can stand or sit without adjusting it.
It won't allow me to fall below my stand platform.
My bow I leave hanging on the side of the tree so I don't drop it or worse yet have it go off.
If I hear something approaching the bow is just a short reach away.
I do the same thing. I set my tether so there is just enough slack for me to sit down. If I fall I won't fall past my stand platform. I also have a tree step strategically placed on each side of my stand to assist with getting back on.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
bigredopie

Post by bigredopie »

Unfortunately what few people realize is at hanging from a tree stand in a harness can be almost as dangerous as the fall could have been if you cannot get up or down quickly due to blood restriction. They make straps that you can use to "step up" to take the pressure off of your legs and groin to keep the blood circulating and these are even included with some of the better harnesses. I also took an extra precaution and bought a descent system that lowers you to the ground after a fall. I have seen these made by several different manufacturers but they all seem to work in a similar fashion. The one I bought is made by tree spider and called a "live wire" descent system. It connects between your harness and your tree strap and when it is subjected to a sudden weight (you specify the weight range when you buy it) it lowers you to the ground or 25' whichever comes first.

I usually hunt by myself and even if I were to call someone it can be over an hour before they could get to me. To me they are cheap insurance.
380 Matrix, Vortex, Y25, Exomag and Brown Vixen
Boo Strings & Big John Arrows to hit 'em
DaGriz Knife and Hatchet Set to Skin 'em
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I usually use climbing sticks that attach to the tree. We can only hope our safety harness will hold us long enough to get to the steps. I also use a HHS safety line when climbing and descending in most of my stands this thing is a little more aggravating but the security is great. I think the majority of falls are when someone is coming down or getting into the stand. Thats where the safety line is the most important.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads