Attractant Scents.........Do You Use Them?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Attractant Scents.........Do You Use Them?

Post by nchunterkw »

Although I have them and use them sometimes, I do not use them often. It always seemed to me to be counter-intuitive, since you want the scent up wind of the deer and thus you end up sitting upwind as well. Curious as to what everyone here does - or doesn't do?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
papa bear1

Re: Attractant Scents.........Do You Use Them?

Post by papa bear1 »

I personally don't use them, :shock: I always wear fresh, scent free clothing, and i wear rubber boots so as not to leave my scent on the ground, i am fortunate, to have several stands up, that i am allways down wind, I also use fragrance free deoderant :roll: "But" i do get busted once in a while when a deer comes in behind me, But that,s part of the game :wink: I have also been busted soaked to the bone, useing so called odor killing sprays, If, i use anything at all i'll use scent wafers, as long as the smell,s are digenous to that area...............
This a personal choice of each individual,s own choosing and i respect there personal choice, :) TETO :wink:

Dave :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
copperjohn

Post by copperjohn »

I don't use them. Just hunt sign and collect intel on when they are moving from my cameras. I believe that deer, especially mature ones, are not too keen on change.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buckinnuts

Post by buckinnuts »

Use them often...but know when and not use them too early spooks them...still cant find any of the jezabel by buck sense company must of went out of business..did find some harem..so..i hope it works just as great
GO STEELERS! GO PENGUINS!...I bleed black n gold!
HellBilly-X

Post by HellBilly-X »

I only use Deer Dander as a cover scent on my boots & a scent wafer on my hat. I don't spray anything on my clothing. I wash all my hunting cloths in baking soda then store them in a scent free bag & i don't get dressed till i get to the place I'm hunting. Back years ago i bought into all the estrous scents & all that & wasted a ton of money cause it spooked deer more than anything. I stick with what has worked for me & the Deer Dander on my boots, a earth or cedar scent wafer on my hat, washing my clothing in baking soda storing them in scent free bags & showering in scent free soap/ shampoo & scent free deo has helped me tremendously. I know that a human can't stay 100% scent free but doing what i do has helped with me not getting winded.
Axiom 175/S5's "RedRum"
Trigger Tech 2 stage trigger
Varizone Scope
Black Eagle Executioners w/2in. Blazers
Swhackers
Micro Raid 335 "Minster" aka (Mini Monster)
Trigger Tech
Hawke XB1 SR
Gold Tip Swift Pros w/2in Blazers
Muzzy HBX
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I try and stay scent free except for the earth scent that I use. I've used scents in the past with some good success with bucks but some does have been spooked by the scents. I killed a small buck one afternoon that stuck his nose up to the rag that I had hanging in a tree with deer scent saturated on it. I had used this rag dragging behind me on a string as I walked in.

My brother loves Code Blue deer scent he's killed several bucks in the area he hunts by using the scent hung up in a tree.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

I usually just use cigar smoke. Doesn't seem to make much difference to the deer, but puffing away on a stogie keeps me relaxed.
I did have a button buck that liked the smell of vanilla flavored cigars a few years back. I lit one up and had him almost stick his head in the blind a couple times. :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I use a white acorn scent wafer, but that's mostly just for me! :D

I love the smell of that thing! I have one hanging in my car! Reminds me o deer season year round
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

I think the best approach is the scent free approach.
I have used deer dander with some success. Meaning I have seen deer while using it, and have had deer come up to the spot where I sprayed it on the ground. The stuff Is 16$ a bottle (I expected magic).
I have used coon urine with little success. Some people love it but it hasn't worked in my area as a cover.
I haven't had any experience using urine or estrous urine so I can't comment.
I don't really think there is a sure product that brings in deer.
The more I hunt the more i realize it's about scouting and luck.
U can be covered in the most expensive highest rated scent in the world but if deer don't want to come into the area, they won't.
Good Luck.
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Hot dang i gotstid one word fer you Nature! I use real live walkin by me stand Doe or Doe's. They be all ya need & i have scads of the smelly varmits! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Seen this on another forum. Topic was Nose Jammer. Made me smile.

Here's a test. Go to a topless bar. Drink, smoke, and fraternize with the women. Come home and spray it in your wife’s face. If she doesn't detect anything then you know it works.
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
wabi

Post by wabi »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:Seen this on another forum. Topic was Nose Jammer. Made me smile.

Here's a test. Go to a topless bar. Drink, smoke, and fraternize with the women. Come home and spray it in your wife’s face. If she doesn't detect anything then you know it works.
I'm sure my wife would introduce me to another form of "Nose Jammer" (Cast Iron Nose jammer). :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:lol:
Onetimeonly x--> wrote:Seen this on another forum. Topic let was Nose Jammer. Made me smile.

let me know how that work's for you guy's!!!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

You guys have pretty much confirmed what I have experienced. I too shower before each hunt with scent free soap. wash my clothes in scent free soap and use Scent Killer on top of all that. I dont wear rubber boots, but my hunting boots go nowhere except on my hunts and I NEVER EVER get gas in my truck with any hunting clothing on. I have had deer walk right in on my trail. I also try to touch nothing with bare skin on my way around the woods. Maybe if I have gloves on I'll move a tree out of the way, but usually I just walk around it.
I have used Trails End #307 a few times early in the rut and shot a little 6-pointer that came back to it after he passed by and got a wiff. And I have also seen estrous scents spook deer - both bucks and does. Scent free, good scouting/reading the sign, and setting up a good ambush, seems to be the ticket for me too.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><