Dryfire

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Glenn Farm

Dryfire

Post by Glenn Farm »

Hi All -

I am a newbie here !

Like a jacka**, I mistakenly dryfired my equinox yesterday (first ever) while target shooting. I inspected my bow afterwards and didn't see any obvious damage. I took a few more shots after the dryfire and they weren't even close to my point of aim....obviously off as a result of the dryfire. I inspected the limbs again and noticed some hair line, parallel lines in the one limb coming through the camo paint (almost looks like a woodgrain texture). I ran a cotton ball across the limb and didn't have any snags. The other limb does not appear to have any parallel lines in the paint. Would this be considered a damaged limb? Please help and advise. Thanks
wabi

Re: Dryfire

Post by wabi »

Those lines are common on limbs and were probably there before the dry-fire. Is the bow still shooting tight groups?
If it's still grouping well, I'd just re-zero the scope and keep shooting.
The recoil/shock/vibration probably shook something loose (could have caused the scope to change, too).
Check all the bolts/screws!

I replace the string after a dry-fire. Just a (probably unnecessary) precaution, but it could break a strand where it isn't visible.
wabi
axiluc

Post by axiluc »

same thing happended to me a while back, had to reajust my scope,everything was great after that no problems good luck :D :D
Louvp

Post by Louvp »

Welcome to the DryFire Club, its has a large membership. Of which I am one. I know how you feel. But my Axiom is working fine.
Excal Axiom SMF
Firebolts / 2" Bohning Blazers
Muzzy 125 >>>------->
Primos Trigger Stick
Nikon ProStaff 550 Rangefinder
B3,

http://www.worldclasstaxidermy.net/
Boo

Post by Boo »

I participate in the Dry Fire Club a couple of times a year. Don't do it again...........too soon :mrgreen:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:I participate in the Dry Fire Club a couple of times a year. Don't do it again...........too soon :mrgreen:
And other folks help Don out by dry firing his bows for him( I promise, Boo, it wasnt me)
Boo

Post by Boo »

Danny comes to me and says I got bad news and I got worse news....
The bad news is someone boogered a couple of your arrows, yep he showed me the arrows.
Then he goes.....I dry-fired your bow and splintered it. Apparently someone came up to him and started to talk to him after he cocked my bow. He put the bow down stirrup on the ground and while talking pulled the trigger :shock: :shock: The dry-fire took off a long thick chunk off the edge of the limb but the zero didn't change! :shock: :shock: :shock:
strum

Post by strum »

Boo wrote:Danny comes to me and says I got bad news and I got worse news....
The bad news is someone boogered a couple of your arrows, yep he showed me the arrows.
Then he goes.....I dry-fired your bow and splintered it. Apparently someone came up to him and started to talk to him after he cocked my bow. He put the bow down stirrup on the ground and while talking pulled the trigger :shock: :shock: The dry-fire took off a long thick chunk off the edge of the limb but the zero didn't change! :shock: :shock: :shock:
well at least if you need warranty work you wont have to explain what happened :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I remember every one sitting under the tents lookin at each other saying " Ohhh that did not sound good :shock: " and then trying to guess who did it :lol:
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:lol: :lol: the wife coud not understand how someone could do that......until she did it to her vixen 2, you should have seen her face, it was priceless!!!!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

I've done it twice :oops: , first time was just that ugly sound, the second time the string got me across the face and the lobe of my ear, sure glad I was wearing shooting glasses, stung pretty good.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

The look on his face was EXACTLY how I felt when I dry fired my bow in the back yard. You just cant believe you just did that! At this point I was for thowing it under TPM's van and seein' how it would do as Roadkill. VixChix's bow seemed to survive just fine.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I thought I would never do it either maybe macho I guess. I have dry fired twice so far and been distracted both times thinking about something else. My first time was testing one of Boos strings that he sent me I was so worried about logging the chronograph speeds that I didn't load an arrow once. Really felt pretty dumb the first time and just shook my head and checked the Vortex out and the Vortex has survived both times.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Boo

Post by Boo »

The last time I did I'm blaming my bird dog. She's a field trial dog so she's a bit wired when she hears a shot. Last weekend I was checking my zero and after the first shot she was making me crazy by running around looking for a bird she assumed I shot. I yelled at her calling her an idiot and called her by my side and commenced shooting my freshly cocked but not loaded bow. :oops:
roly

Post by roly »

Boo wrote:The last time I did I'm blaming my bird dog. She's a field trial dog so she's a bit wired when she hears a shot. Last weekend I was checking my zero and after the first shot she was making me crazy by running around looking for a bird she assumed I shot. I yelled at her calling her an idiot and called her by my side and commenced shooting my freshly cocked but not loaded bow. :oops:
And what did she say after that :roll:

Congrats on joining the club Glenn.