Recommendations for meat grinder?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Re: Recommendations for meat grinder?

Post by VixChix »

automated11 wrote:From what I understand pork fat degrades rather quickly, Shelf life no longer than 6months even in the freezer. So I would think about putting pork in the meat unless you use it pretty quickly. I normally dont use any fat in my ground deer products and it always comes out great!
You can always add pork later, when you go to cook it.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

When I grind my beef or venison, I do not add fat or pork prior to freezing. If I need to I combine just before cooking.

As to how long your products can be kept in the freezer will depend on sanitation and temperature of product as you process prior to freezing. Quality of wrapping and sealing along with freezer temperature are important factors as well.

Grinding exposes a greater surface area to airborne contaminants and that's why it can go bad sooner. Fat alone is not the culprit.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

A vacuum sealer is handy too, but before we had one I double wrapped meat tightly in cellophane (to keep out the air) then sealed in a freezer bag from which I removed the air by sucking it out with a straw as I was sealing it. Never had any issues with freezer burn.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
rayman

Post by rayman »

Thanks again for the input. Hey VixChix are we going to get the blue hair for halloween again this year?
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

I've got a Waring Pro that I got at Lowes several years ago. I think I paid $100 for it and I've definitely gotten my moneys worth out of it, doing 2-3 deer a year.

Like others have said, I don't add any fat to my ground meat. I figure you can always put some fat in later (mix in a little hamburger) but you can't take it out. I make quite a bit of jerky with the ground meat and you don't need the fat in there.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
montana4me

Post by montana4me »

The Cabela's 1 1/2 horse model is one bad ass grinder. It will grind bones if you want to. Spendy but they reduce them from time to time but not by much. They are worth it!!!!!
There's plenty of room for all gods creatures. Right next to the mashed potatoes!