Recommendations for meat grinder?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rayman

Recommendations for meat grinder?

Post by rayman »

I know this topic comes up occationally. I've reached my witt's end with the meat processing guys. :? The only guy I still like had to quit due to medical conditions. I do everything except grind and package the meat anyway, so I have resolved to try doing it again. Standing around for 4 or 5 hours trying to grind 25 or so pounds of meat does not interest me, like I did with the old grinder I had, so I am hoping for some recommendations on something good that will get the job done. I am expecting to spend over $200 or so do don't be bashfull. :)

Thanks in advance,
Ray
georgiaboy

Re: Recommendations for meat grinder?

Post by georgiaboy »

I got the Lem #8 i think, it is from BP. I think it has a 1/3 hp motor, heavy duty & stainless steel. Between me and my father it grinds 6-10 deer a year and a few hogs. I have had it for three years...more than paid for the $300.00 i spent on it.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Check out cabelas ...they have some nice ones for a little over 200 that grind 3 1/2 lbs per minute
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

onebigskittle wrote:Check out cabelas ...they have some nice ones for a little over 200 that grind 3 1/2 lbs per minute
X 2 they have some good deals going on right now, :)

Dave
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Normous

Post by Normous »

The Cabelas 1/2 HP one works great 10/10.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hey Ray,
If your into a DIY meat grinder, check out this web page, "http://www.sausagemania.com/grinder.html". I made mine with a #32 meat grinder and it will grind anything you put in it. I do not have to worry about the silver skin slowing me down or clogging me up and I do not need to put any meat in the freezer to chill it hard in order to grind it either. Most people told me that bear meat gives them a lot of problems, not with mine, not a problem. I used to work in a store with a meat department and my grinder will grind just as well as a commercial grade #72 meat grinder and I can honestly say that I am certain that my grinder outperforms that one. It cost approximately $250 and that is including the cost of shipping for items that I had to order to make this grinder. If you were to make one like I did, make sure that the grinder doesn't come with plastic bushing for the worm shaft.
Here is a photo of my DIY #32 Meat Grinder.
I have made metal covers to cover over the belts and pulleys to make it more pleasing to the eye and make sure that hands can never get around the belts and pulleys. It is surprisingly quiet also. I can easily remove 4 nuts and 4 washers and remove the grinder so I can totally disassemble the grinder to wash and sterilize it after I am finish with it. The meat grinder where I worked is a lot louder than mine. You can talk normally while mine is grinding. I remember while grinding meat at the store, you needed to raise your voice to talk to someone while grinding meat. I need to take a few more photos and post them on my photobucket webpage to bring it up to date. I am going to make a meat holding tray for the top of my meat grinder, I just haven't gotten around to doing that yet. I can purchase one but I have decide to make it. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I will answer any and all your questions.
Raymond
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

rayman wrote: The only guy I still like had to quit due to medical conditions. I do everything except grind and package the meat anyway, so I have resolved to try doing it again.
Thanks in advance,Ray
Why not buy that meat grinder since he is quitting??
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

I do my own meat grinding for burger & sausage and I think that you would be very pleased with either a Cabela’s or a LEM 1hp grinder.

For 5 deer a year, a 1hp grinder serves my every need and it grinds faster than I can stuff meat down the tube.

If the price of a 1hp is a little steep for you, I suggest a 3/4hp, but no less.

With the #22 (1hp) and #12 (3/4hp) grinding heads, you will be able to use all the attachments that both companies sell.

I highly recommend that you consider purchasing the accessory foot switch. With greasy and both hand working at the same time, that accessory foot switch is worth twenty times the price.

My you eat as well as you cook and cook as well as you hunt.
rayman

Post by rayman »

Thanks for the input. Was looking at LEM and Cabelas. Both have good reviews, especially for the more powerfull models. The closest BassPro is about 3 hours. Georgia Boy's BP at Savannah is almost as close as the one at Orlando. Cabelas has the 1hp on sale right now and I have a substantial amount of Cabelas points, gift cards, and free shipping. Might get the cuber attachement too and call it all an early Christmas present.

Dont think I have the wherewithall to make one like Raymonds. Looks like a mean set up though.

Thanks again. :)
sullyy

Post by sullyy »

If you can get your hands on that Cableas 1HP..... do it.
The thing is amazing, and will last you a life time. Grinding up a whole deer (except the back straps of course) is an easy task.
bugs

Post by bugs »

I got the Cabela's 3/4 HP and LOVE it! I did 25 lbs in 7 min with no jamming. it went so fast I had trouble keeping the meat going in and I didnt cut the cubes that small either because I wanted to see what the grinder had. I wouldnt have spent so much but it was my Christmas Bonus so I could and it is worth it.
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol:
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

This is mine.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Waring-Pro- ... Id=9360755

There are other places to get it cheaper.
Make sure it is the model with all stainless steel housing.
Takes me longer to prep than to grind.
I bought mine on sale for $139.

Tip:
When prepping meat, just cut into long strips.
Does not matter if with or across the grain.
The auger will pull in strips of meat and you won't need to use the plunger very much at all.

By the time this thing wears out I will have gotten more than my moneys worth and without a huge investment.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

automated11 wrote:If you want a multi purpose device. I use a spam Aid Pro Mixer 600watt I believe and get the meat grinder attachment. I can grind probably about 50-60lbs of meat per hour at least. I have currently ground about 15-20 deer through it and it works great.
That's what we use and we're very pleased with it. Ran it for a huge pile of moose meat yesterday and it ran just fine. For the couple of times a year we need it, it gets the job done.

We cut our meat into strips and cut off as much of the white skin and anything not red so it runs pretty clean and quick. Like OntExcal said - it takes longer to prep than to grind, but the result is worth it!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

A meat grinder may chew through silver skin and sinew but I remove all of it just the same.
Doing this improves the texture of your ground meat.
The silver skin and sinew will not digest anyway and have zero nutritional value.

The reason I grind all my own meat is to improve quality.
Got tired of how much fat and junk is in the store bought burger and sausage.
rayman

Post by rayman »

To folks that have been making their own deer hamburger, do you preffer beef or pork fat and what approximate percentage? I think my favorite guy put about 10% to 15% beef fat in the hamburger. When I wanted him to do sausage, he made me go buy about the same weight in boston butts to mix in and used Old Plantation sausage seasoning. Just curious as to what others are doing.