Hunting river bottoms

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JohnnyDollar

Hunting river bottoms

Post by JohnnyDollar »

I have just started hunting river bottoms, I have no experience in hunting this type of terrain. It is all hardwoods, no food plots. There are sloughs and cane thickets and the land is all flat. My question is how do you find a bedding area in such terrain? Every 50 yds or so is a thicket. There are a lot of deer in the area I hunt but no really defined trails. I'm used to hunting ridges and such so this is all new to me.
I love the smell of damp rotting leaves in the morning
vixenmaster

Re: Hunting river bottoms

Post by vixenmaster »

Kinda sounds like huntin where me home is. Ms. Ok have you located any trails ? Sould be some around the sloughs specially if'en they be deeper than yer waist. They will bed up on any raised area out in sloughs/swamps. Bigger cane thickets sure will be good beddin areas. Any good white oaks droppin acorns set up on it, if'en not & you gotstid Pin oaks they will gobble them up. Sometimes its best to find the food source then worry about beddin areas
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
JohnnyDollar

Post by JohnnyDollar »

The sloughs run through it like creeks, I have found a few well defined trails, and the white oaks have dropped so many acorns that you will just about roll your ankle walking in the woods.
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Lots of sloughs where I hunt too. I look for good funnels, sometimes they use beaver dams as crossings. Just hunt the food and bottlenecks.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
JohnnyDollar

Post by JohnnyDollar »

sipsey wrote:Lots of sloughs where I hunt too. I look for good funnels, sometimes they use beaver dams as crossings. Just hunt the food and bottlenecks.

What are some of the things you are using to notice the bottlenecks? I have watched the deer walk straight across the sloughs like it wasn't there. It's not like I just started hunting, but this new type of terrain is almost overwhelming. There are some really nice bucks on this property, I just haven't figured out what exactly to look for yet.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

So glad you brought this up. Have I got something for you to help you on river bottoms. :) :)

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... bowfloatie
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Bottleneck/funnel anything forcing deer to go around or thru a certain area. Once located you can set-up fer watching & huntin
Half Bubble Off BD360

wabi

Post by wabi »

Not sure of any of the details, but a friend was telling me someone shot a decent buck "down along the river" recently. Sent me a pic, but I'll have to find out more.
Looks like "river bottom" bucks may be worth hunting, though.

wabi
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyDollar

Post by JohnnyDollar »

Those are pretty good ideas and a nice pic. You ought to make a rifle floatie to go along with the xbow floatie, maybe sell then as a Christmas package deal!
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Are your sloughs big enough and connected enough to paddle a small canoe or kayak in? It is legal in my state to use a non-motorized boat to hunt from as long as its not a captive flood situation. It's a lot quieter than walking and we have killed some nice deer this way.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Poke Boat trollin motor is legal in most states
Half Bubble Off BD360