Flemish string construction & twists

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

grousegrove

Flemish string construction & twists

Post by grousegrove »

I just mounted a new Excalibur Flemish string after reviewing the instructions and a lot of what's out there on the web. All seems ok in terms of brace height and I'm prepared to go through the time and shooting to get the string to settle in.

However, I noticed that because some of the twists on one end of the string are more closely spaced together than they were on the other end, there are actually more twists on that side of the serving than on the other. I tried taking it off and fiddling with it a bit to even things out but it did not work well, the twists remained pretty much the same. Is this something I need to try and rectify? Will it eventually even out just from tension? The only way I can think of to even it out would be to completely un-twist it, and carefully re-twist it -- but no blog or comment I can find has mentioned this as an issue so I wonder if I'm over-thinking this.

Thanks and forgive the ignorant question.
2011 Excalibur Vortex
Boo String
Excalibur VariZone Scope
Firebolts
Excalibur 150 gr. Boltcutter broadheads
Hester0305

Re: Flemish string construction & twists

Post by Hester0305 »

I only twist up one side of my strings including my Flemish string. It doesn't seem to matter that one side of the serving has more twists than the other. This seems the best way to set your brace height.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
grousegrove

Post by grousegrove »

Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear. Happy hunting.
2011 Excalibur Vortex
Boo String
Excalibur VariZone Scope
Firebolts
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

a flemish string is hand made... it may appear or actually have more twists in one side. if it shoots consistantly, dont' fret it. my FFF string, (excal version) is actually about 1/2 an inch off to one side on the serving, with more twists on one side, but does shoot very well. once your comfortable with a flemish... order a boo!
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
379 FPS over prochrono digital
140 Foot Lbs Kinetic Energy
grousegrove

Post by grousegrove »

Thanks for the confirmation, I'm looking forward to checking it out. Had to chuckle at your admonition that "if it shoots consistantly, dont' fret it" because the Vortex has been shooting very consistantly all along and I had no issues before I put the upgraded string on it... so I had some misgivings about messing with a good thing in the middle of hunting season! :-) Then again, I've got a few weeks until rut's in full swing here and I am sadly not planning to hunt this weekend - so with a window of time and I rolled the dice. I still have the original string as a backup in case this proves foolhardy.

Thanks for the advice on the Boo.
2011 Excalibur Vortex
Boo String
Excalibur VariZone Scope
Firebolts
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

well, i think sometimes people get a little to torn on the "speed bug". i know... the faster my bow shoots... the louder it is... and the more i tear up my block target.... but if its accurate, and your confident with it... at 275, or 325... who cares... shoot, and kill animals with it. i also own a vortex, and i love it.
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
Gamikatsu

Post by Gamikatsu »

i never experienced this, but i know others have. sometimes the smaller diameter FFF string can and will slip under or over the bolt/arrow on the rail, and cause a dryfire, or near dryfire. keep a good ear out for how the shots sound. not anything i'd worry about, because its rare, but it is a possibility. i actually prefer the way the heavier strings feel. i have a few strings, and my favorite is the boo Flemish. definatly the most consistant. the least creep... its SCARY accurate
GAMIKATSU///Edward

Excalibur MEGA 405
440 GN BE Zombie Slayer
miller1buc

Post by miller1buc »

I just recently installed the Excal Flemish and noticed the same thing and was curious about it. I tried to twist the one side to match, but seems that over time it settled back with more twists on the left side. I havent noticed any issues from it yet.
grousegrove

Post by grousegrove »

...After my initial twist / brace calculations I left the bow cocked most of yesterday and shot it abt 20x. Then today Went out and shot it in earnest for hours seeking good groups and trying out the three Lumenock equipped bolts I recently bought. All seemed to go well with the Flemish string. Can't say it was anything obviously different but it worked, which was the point.

As an aside, two of the three new (& pricey) lumenok firebolts shot well with broadheads and one was consistently off :-( So I' ll stick with some relatively consistent cabelas bolts I have in my 3- bolt quiver. Two of those are dead-nuts and the other almost as good. Plenty good enough I think. Hate to think I wasted money but Ill probably get over it when I connect with my next deer- who will not know nor care whether what hit him was illuminated or how much I paid for it.
2011 Excalibur Vortex
Boo String
Excalibur VariZone Scope
Firebolts
Dayelight

Post by Dayelight »

:lol: :lol:
I doubt he'll care how much you paid for it.
Thanks OP for this post. I have been wondering the same thing for the last few days after i put my FFF on.

Dayelight
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks