First Coyote

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

j.krug

First Coyote

Post by j.krug »

My brother Jerry came down to deer hunt with me at our uncle's farm this weekend. We saw a few deer out and about including a nice buck that passed behind us to the south on his way into the neighbours bush lot just before last light. The next morning we set up in different locations to try and intercept him on his way back. Jerry was my ground blind on the east side of the field and I was in a ladder stand in a hedge row about 75 yards north east of him. If the buck headed back the same route he came from he would pass between us giving either one of us a 35 yard shot max...at least that's how my brother and I saw it. :)

My ladder stand faced north and he'd be passing behind me so I spent more time scanning the fields to the north for deer. I didn't see any deer but I did see a lone coyote traveling west along the creek about 300 yards away. Jerry and I were keeping in contact with a set of Motorola 2-way radios I had just bought with an ear bud in our ear to minimize movement and stay silent. I told him I saw the coyote but he couldn't see it from his location.

Some time later I heard Jerry say into my ear over the radio that "he" just came out of the bush into the field. I asked back, "the buck?" And he said,"no. the coyote." I grabbed my binos and turnes as far as I could to my left to have a peek. The coyote was headed north along the ditch at the other side of the field. He had come out of the bush pretty close to where "our" buck had gone in the night before. He continued along the ditch until he was even with Jerry's blind and then cut right across the field headed straight at Jerry. The coyote stopped about half way across the field and looked back over his shoulder paced around a bit inevery direction and the sat down for a minute or two. I had turned around to kneel on the seat of my ladder stand and hopefully watch my little brother put an arrow through this coyote.

When the coyote got back up he headed straight north again towards the ditch hedge roe I was in. Once he reached the hedgerow I lost sight of him due to the tall brush...but that was okay because Jerry was keeping me posted on this dogs position over the radio ear bud. Jerry said I think he's going thru the ditch into your firld. I quickly turned back around and grabbed my Vortex and gave it a quick check to be sure it was good to go which it was. Then I heard Jerry say." No. he's staying on this side and headed your way." I had no shot as he would approch from almost directly behind my ladder stand so I hung my bow back up and quickly scrambled down the ladder. Once on the ground I grabbed my bow off the hook and shouldered it. I stood close to the tree and looked across the ditch through the one opening in the tall brush that I would be able to see the coyote through. All the while Jerry was in my ear keeping me up to date on the dog's location. He had a front row seat to the action from his blind.

I hear Jerry say, "He just passed the last tree in the ditch and is coming quickly." Then I hear, "Almost to you." I have my bow up and ready and I'm looking over the scope to watch for him. A second or two later he pops into the opening and in a split second I have him in the crosshairs just as he spots me too. He turned quickly to wheel off to his right but it was too late I had him in the crosshairs and pulled the trigger sending an arrow into his chest. I hear Jerry say excitedly,"NICE SHOT...YOU NAILED HIM!!"

The arrow went in his side and upwards and broke his back. His left side was quickly turning red with blood as he tried to pull himself across the field with his front paws. He only made it about 35 yards and layed down. Jerry and I met in the field and headed towards the coyote. We stopped a short distance away and noticed he was still alive. I had already reloaded so I got a little closer and put a finishing shot in him. I hate coyotes but even so I did not want this creature to lay there and suffer.

Jerry and I were pretty darn excited and bantered on and on and relived the excitement a few times over before taking some pics and then dragging it up to the house to show our uncle. Jerry thought this was the coyote I had told him about earlier and was surprised to find out it was a different one.

We didn't get a deer this weekend but it still was a great hunt. I've seen more coyote sign than ever around the farm this year and was glad to put this one in the dirt. I'll be out to thin them more with my rifle once deer season ends.

The coyote and the Vortex that snuffed him.

A look back from the stand at the bush where he came from. The coyote is the small whit speck to the right of the ladder.

A view from the downed coyote back to the stand.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
georgiaboy

Re: First Coyote

Post by georgiaboy »

Great story...congrats on your yote!! :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
roly

Post by roly »

Congrats j, good kill with the Vortex!

Good team work to get it done.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Great story, congrats!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Boy hidy you told a fine huntin story & a great endin, congrats on the nasty Yote. I was right thar wid y'all on yer hunt enjoyed it !
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

CONGRATS!! You guy's deer hunt and shoot a coyote Catcher goes coyote hunting and shoots deer :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great post and great story! Way to whack that coyote!!!

I'm with you on the finishing shot - had to do that a few times for other people's deer. Can be a little tough when you're up close and personal - but that just means you have human feelings and that's a good thing.

Looking forward to seeing your post when you get that buck! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
lscha

Post by lscha »

That was an exciting story! Thanks for telling it and the pictures. Congratulations!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

That's what I call great hunting team! congrats ! Looks like a big yote and great story and pictures. I also felt like I was on the hunt reading it! made my rainy day better!
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

great. I hope its not your last :D
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Congrats j.krug! The only good coyote is a dead coyote! :wink:

I bet you two were fit to be tied going back and forth over the radio. :lol: Great story! This is something that I'm sure both of you will remember for the rest of your lives. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

congrats on the dog!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Thanks for a great story! Nice red coat on that coyote!
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Congratulations J.Krug !! Boy :) ya shure had me sitting, on the edge of my computer, with that story, Great job you, and your Bro. done, :wink: Thanks for the story. :wink:

Dave
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
rayman

Post by rayman »

Good story. Saw an article today about a Florida woman being attached by a coyote while walking but don't know any details. Death to them all! :)