horrible feeling

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowrook

Re: horrible feeling

Post by xbowrook »

End of the road wrote:Reading your post sounded like what happened to me just this week. I had what I thought was a good solid broadside hit right behind the front leg and he ran off with the arrow sticking out of his side. All my previous shots have been pass throughs and this has been my worst fear since I started hunting a few years ago. I searched for him for several hours but all I was able to find was the back half of the arrow. It haunts me that this guy is out there with a G5 Montec in his side. So far I have not seen any unusual bird activity so I wonder if he is still moving around.

I too have thought about putting the bow down after that but thinking it through I think I probably hit him in his shoulder and not the boiler room. I decided I needed to make doubly sure I can put the arrow where I want it, every time. I've had problems getting my Montecs to fly true this year and thought I had it fixed but after this experience I went out and got a pack of Spitfires. Even though I have concerns about mechanicals I put in many hours of practice since and am more confident than ever I am proficient with the new heads. I think you can learn something from every disaster.
i hear ya, i hate the thought of this deer lying dead somewhere, going to waste.. but as i learned in natural resource college, it's not a total waste if he is in fact dead.. birds, coons, yotes, etc will feed off him, not that it makes it any less bothersome or anymore right... i switched to the 125 grain wasp jackhammers and will shoot them out to 40 yards to make sure the xbow is still dead on, as it should.. my bolt hit right where i was aiming, but the difference in both broadhead size and weight, i wanna be 110% sure.. i know the only thing to make me feel better, is to get right back out there and hunt.. and with the rut just getting hot here, it's the perfect time for it too.. best of luck all
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
leonk

Post by leonk »

I almost replied on the other forum you posted (OOD).
Anyhow - call someone with a dog, like me :-)
when MNR allows it :-)
THere's lots of deer been lost and at least some of them can be recovered.
I know the feeling :cry:

nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

End of the road wrote: I decided I needed to make doubly sure I can put the arrow where I want it, every time. I've had problems getting my Montecs to fly true this year and thought I had it fixed but after this experience I went out and got a pack of Spitfires. Even though I have concerns about mechanicals I put in many hours of practice since and am more confident than ever I am proficient with the new heads. I think you can learn something from every disaster.
Fixed blades are sometimes hard to get to fly right, but that simply points out that your arrow is not spinning true. When they are you can shoot fixed blade BHs out to any distance. Try refletching, check them on an arrow spinner, align a 3 blade to the fletches, even shoot them with different vanes in the channel.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

This happens to us all at some point if you hunt enough times.It even happens to rifle hunters.I bought some spitfire maxx to shoot.1 3/4" 3 blade head.Next time a deer walks up to you just take your time and pick a spot.Sometimes you may get excited and don't pick a spot.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
M&M

Post by M&M »

xbowrook I noticed in your first post you said you covered your boots and body with doe urine! In my humble opinion that is something you should never do, unless you are up for a buck attacking you! This has been known to happen before. There are other cover scents available but you shouldn't use doe urine or doe in heat type scents on yourself. Hunt safe and good luck!
M&M
Foonus

Post by Foonus »

M&M wrote:xbowrook I noticed in your first post you said you covered your boots and body with doe urine! In my humble opinion that is something you should never do, unless you are up for a buck attacking you!
He's really not attacking... his intentions are a little bit more friendly :mrgreen:
\\\\\___________________\"-._
/////~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/.-'

Equinox/Tact-Zone/FFF String/S-5/TAC Pak
CX Maxima Hunter 20'' W/ Muzzy Crosskill 125gn. Total 413gn.
Leupold RX-1000 TBR DNA
M&M

Post by M&M »

I understand that you are just poking a little fun at my post but I am serious people have been attacked by bucks because they were wearing doe urine or doe in heat scents on themselves this is dangerous
M&M
Foonus

Post by Foonus »

M&M wrote:I understand that you are just poking a little fun at my post but I am serious people have been attacked by bucks because they were wearing doe urine or doe in heat scents on themselves this is dangerous
Ya, it's good to point it out for those that might not know, and this is when they are the most aggressive too. We have moose out here and they are no joke either, those always seem to be aggressive, my brother had one charge at his truck a few years back.
\\\\\___________________\"-._
/////~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~/.-'

Equinox/Tact-Zone/FFF String/S-5/TAC Pak
CX Maxima Hunter 20'' W/ Muzzy Crosskill 125gn. Total 413gn.
Leupold RX-1000 TBR DNA
grousegrove

Post by grousegrove »

I admit this has happened to me a couple times -- including once with a .30-06 and a big bloodtrail and a daylong search. It really stinks, and I can relate with your experience and how disheartening it is. Others here on the forum are more expert than I at shot placement, broadheads, angles, and tracking. The wisdom I can impart you probably already know, namely that hunting is a natural experience, and I think that nature is what draws good hunters and anglers to want to hunt and fish. You have a bigger brain than other predators, and a code of ethics, and technology -- but failing to close the deal once in a while is also natural. Go ahead and feel badly, but give thanks for it and learn something from it, and keep hunting. Betcha the next one goes better.
2011 Excalibur Vortex
Boo String
Excalibur VariZone Scope
Firebolts
Excalibur 150 gr. Boltcutter broadheads
mfh

Post by mfh »

Sorry to hear about the loss of your deer. I hunt exclusively with archery tackle, and harvest about 10 deer a year and it is not uncommon to loose at least one a year. it kills me each time, but it happens. Even with solid shot placement, the simple fact is there are many variables that come into play and deer are amazing survivors. One old timer told me, its all energy in the universe. You can't create any more then what is already here...so although a loss to you, it is food for the foxes, coyotes and all the other animals that will feed off the carcass. Plus, it is also possible the animal will survive. I have cleaned many a deer that had clearly been wounded in the past. Hunting is about culling the herd, keeping numbers down and so long as you are ethical in the shot, and in giving the blood trail due diligence, then you should know its all a part of hunting. Again - I am sure this doesn't alleviate your pitting stomach, but it happens. Hit the target bag a few days, gain your confidence in your skill and gear, and get back out there.
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

thanks everyone.. nice to know people won't jump on you for making errors in the field.. i am prepped and ready to get back out there. i have heard, in reference to deer attacking, that using too much doe urine as a scent can lead to such scenario... i haven't ever had it happen and i've done it for almost 10 years , but i would imagine anything can happen... i don't use much, i use a natural earth cover scent for my clothing and use the doe urine mostly for my boots, unless it's really windy or the wind swirls and then i will put a drop or two on each shoulder.. sometimes i won't put any on me, i will spray some on the tree i am in, directly behind me... anyways, thanks again all and we're heading back out sunday afternoon, once my wife is off work...
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
bugs

Post by bugs »

That is my biggest worry but the only way I could cope with it is to know that everything happens for a reason and that other animals in the woods make sure nothing goes to waste. Sorry you had that experience
To be a vegetarian is to listen to the live carrot gradually screaming as it drowns in a pot of boiling water …. Which is more ethical to you ?? :roll: :lol: