What All Will I Need ??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Old-New-Guy

What All Will I Need ??

Post by Old-New-Guy »

Greetings everyone ..

I'm an Old gent (62 yrs ) that wants to be a new guy using a Crossbow. I've found Excalibur Crossbows look like what I want. Seems that the KISS mindset rules for a big a part. Maybe there's is no need for bling like pulleys and other stuff. Myself I don't want to fiddle stuff anymore than I have to . My dance card is full i now … I'd just like to fool with it and learn how to use a Crossbow , become a good shot…. Then I think I could go hunting …

Another thing I liked was the "Selecting The Right Bow " section. Lot's of great info ! What hit home for me was the "size of the person" info. I'm 5'6" … on a good day …. I was also in a motorcycle a few years ago. My left shoulder got crushed. So my left arm won't rise much above my head ….. So I can't hang sheet rock above my head now … Thank you lord ….. for the most part …. But my left arm is still strong. I can toot 5 gals of water with that arm or do curls with weights. But to be honest … not like when I was a youth.

The XBows that I like , that should be good for me ... are the "Vixen II " or the "Phoenix ". Both models seem to be designed for smaller framed people. But as I get it the Phoenix is a bit more powerful and would be harder to cock. Any thoughts on an aging "gimp" … there ?

If you folks would be kind and give me your advice from for your experiences I'd sure love it. As much as I can I'd like to buy once. I'd like to get everything that keeps the bow in good health. Lubes …. Stringing aids /tools … ( for when it's not in use ) or what a guy needs.

I foresee me doing target shooting for a while. What targets do you think will last , be easy to move , and what distances should I set them ? Please .. if you have the time and energy fill in me on this … Do I need a tool to pull out the bolts ….

Thanks for all help ....
Woodspike

Re: What All Will I Need ??

Post by Woodspike »

Can't help with a lot of the questions, as I am still waiting for my Excal to arrive. But as far as targets, I highly recommend the Rinehart 18-1. If you plan to do a lot of shooting, blow through that target in a year and they will replace it for free.

Welcome to the club.
-woods
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I am 73 & have a new Equinox that I have absolutely no problems cocking using the rope cocking aid. I believe that the Equinox is a very powerful CB that will shoot an arrow/bolt completely through any North American animal that I may hunt. You may want to look at the Axiom SMF or Vortex models. I believe that you will be amazed at the accuracy of the Excals with which ever model you choose. You can also make your own stringing aid using a rope that is about the same size as the rope cocking aid. I use a bowline knot of about 3" at each end adjusted for length & just cock this stringing aid rope which will allow you to change/adjust your string. The starter rope for lawn mowers will work for this.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

I shoot the Pheonix (Iam 60 years old) sounds like about the same size 5' 6". My wife shoots a Vixen and it has plenty of power (can't tell the difference between the two, but Iam sure there is) She just took a 8pt. with the Vixen. Either bow will do the job!
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I have three in our family equinox down too a vixen and if one bow for hunting and target I would have just the vixen because it,s easy too cock and a real pleasure too shoot with all the power I need. they sell them with the lite stuff package that should have everything you need too get started.could not go wrong with the phoenix also .I picked one up for the first time the other day and loved it! mite have too have one!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I'm 72 yrs young and with both shoulders and back surgically altered (back twice).
The Phoenix is my every day bow, which I use for both hunting and practice. I have no problems with cocking it for repeated shooting. The Vortex is my hunting designated hunting bow - despite owning a compound speed crossbow as well. I like the feel, stock, trigger, eye/scope alignment, and knowing that it will go 'thump' when I do my part. Cocking is a bit harder, but not much. I've shortened the rope of my cocker so the bowstring has to be pulled up some 6" to the second hook. This makes cocking much easier by reducing the angle of pull on my shoulders.
Good luck. You can't go wrong with an Excal.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Old-New-Guy

Post by Old-New-Guy »

Thanks everyone....
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Well, I think you could probably get by with just about any of the Excal. bows, but the lighter poundage bows are easier to cock and if you are planning any extended shooting sessions wont leave you as worn out.They are also fast enough and have enough kinetic energy for most anything in North America.Shortening the rope cocker as mentioned earlier is a great tip, just makes life easier all around.Rinehardt target mentioned earlier is great. You can shoot broadheads or field tips into it, but a bag target is just as good for field tips and much easier to remove arrows from.A "Danny Miller" arrow puller is the best around, and ordering one will give you a chance to talk to Danny(1-740-483-2312). He's also the best around.You are going to need a stringer to change strings or change brace height and I myself like the S-5 string stopper offered by Excal.It will tone down the noise and vibration some and is insurance in case of dry fire.After that its pretty much just go shoot, and have a good time. Be safe,keep your thumb and fingers below the rail and enjoy your bow.Excalibur bows are one of the few things left that are better than you hoped for when you purchased it.You will be amazed at how easy it is to set up and shoot well.
P.S. the forum is a great place for questions like this as everyone seems eager to help and there is a wealth of info in some of these folks. Also in the "Trading Post" you can find forum members that make custom strings, quiver mounts, and arrows. All are top notch products and the people making them are great to work with.Have fun
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Welcome to the forum Old-New-Guy :) I'm 71 and shoot the equinox with busted up shoulder and neck," But " i'm 6'4" and 250 lbs. The best advice i can give you is go to a excal dealer and let them help you, IF, thats possible !!!! that way you will know if it,s right for you or not, and ask a lot of question,s here on the forum there is always someone here that is more than happy to help you, I know that for a fact because someone here on the forum just pm,ed me and put my brain back in my head for me :oops: Thanks V.M.------ you have already gotten some good advice here, people here are very knowlagable. :wink:

Dave
Last edited by papa bear1 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D :D
Any of the excals will more than do the job...but there's something about those vixen's!!! :) :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the forum!

Myself, I'm a young person (61 years old for another 3 weeks) and normal height (5'6") and weight (170#). I've used a Phoenix for several years now and love it!
One thing that makes the cocking rope easier to use is to keep it short. I have mine adjusted so I hook one side on the string, then have to pull the string back 3-4" to hook the other side. Keeps it so I don't have to lift past my shoulders. :wink:

As for targets, a good quality "bag" target (one designed for higher speeds) & field points will give you a lot of practice before it falls apart.
wabi
tharris811

Post by tharris811 »

I have an exomax I really like it but I have a gt curve IT is a LOT easier to cock.But I hunt with the BIG BOY
live everyday as it is your last..It may be
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Get a Phoenix and you will have no requets. Old vixens people brag about are not the newer speeds of Vixens of today. It has been my experiances anyways. I am sure others will differ in my opinion.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

:lol: Did someone jus holler about Vixens ? If'en you like regular stocks then the Phoenix is a fine Model, if'en you like Thumbhole stocks the Ibex is the cats meow if find the older Alum. rail model. They also made the newer Ibex smf which seems to be very good. All Vixens are very good they jus be 150 lb Killers! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
lswoody

Post by lswoody »

Another vote for the Phoenix. Other than the other stuff mentioned, you also need a case for your crossbow. I would reccomend a soft case, either the Excalibur case or the one made by October Mountain Products.
Proverbs 3:5-6