Excalibur on the way..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

westernMDhunter

Excalibur on the way..

Post by westernMDhunter »

I have been searching different forums online for information on the Excalibur Equinox and after browsing through here yesterday was eager to place an order through Dan Miller at Horizontal Archery. I called him up yesterday and told him what I was looking for and he had everything in stock ready to go. I couldn't believe what a nice guy he is and could tell in the background he had lots of company plus calls coming in on the other line, but Dan made sure he answered all of my questions. So today I decided to call him again to make sure I had everything I needed to start hunting with the Excalibur. He asked what broadheads I use (Slick Trick 100 grain) and he said he would switch the firebolts out and replace them with Goldtip II bolts. He highly recommended the Swhacker broadheads so I will try them out too. I asked him about if I needed rail lube and he said do not use rail lube. If anyone has any information that would help me out with the Equinox and accesories that will help me out please share your thoughts. As far as I know this is what I will be using.

Excalibur Equinox
Shadowzone scope.
Goldtip II bolts.
100 grain slick tricks but I will try these 100 grain Swhacker broadheads too that he is sending.
No rail lube?
No wax on the string?
Factory string.
maple

Re: Excalibur on the way..

Post by maple »

Looks good to me. Although there are a few more things to remember.

- below the string keep your fingers when you fire.
- bolt on the rail make sure you have before you fire.
- enjoy I'm sure you will.

Yoda
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I would suggest that you start out with a brace height of 1 & 1/16" to the forward edge of the string and you will have to adjust this as the string will stretch a bit until it settles in. The 1 & 1/16 is measured from the limb joint. To adjust the string twist CCW looking into the end of the string after you have cocked the CB using the stringing aid which you can make using a small rope about the same size as the cocking rope. A lawn mower starter rope will work for this and I use a bowline knot in each end about a 3 inch loop adjusted for length. You CB will come equipped with S5s & this 1 & 1/16" BH will hold the string just off the S5 pads about 1/16". Hope this helps and I found that the BH is critical for accuracy on the 3 Excals that I purchased this year.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
westernMDhunter

Deerstalker wrote:I would suggest that you start out with a brace height of 1 & 1/16" to the forward edge of the string and you will have to adjust this as the string will stretch a bit until it settles in. The 1 & 1/16 is measured from the limb joint. To adjust the string twist CCW looking into the end of the string after you have cocked the CB using the stringing aid which you can make using a small rope about the same size as the cocking rope. A lawn mower starter rope will work for this and I use a bowline knot in each end about a 3 inch loop adjusted for length. You CB will come equipped with S5s & this 1 & 1/16" BH will hold the string just off the S5 pads about 1/16". Hope this helps and I found that the BH is critical for accuracy on the 3 Excals that I purchased this year.
Thanks for the info. and the tips.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The 1 & 1/16 is measured from the limb joint.
Am sure he meant where the rail ends and the riser begins............ :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Welcome to the forum and have fun with that new Equinox. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!!! :D :D
I use Dalton's string wax...the string about every 100/150 shots, the serving about every 25. I use nothing on the rail.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Congrats on your purchase.I have used the Shwacker and the 100gr 3 blade spitfires and in my opinion i like the spitfires better.I think the spitfires leave more blood at the entrance site than the shwacker does.The shwacker opens inside the chest where the spitfire opens going in.I also like 3 blades instead of 2.My buck i killed this year only went 40yds with the shwacker but i had little blood at the spot where i shot him.Try them out and report back with pics! Again Congrats!Here is the entrance wound from the shwacker.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
wabi

Post by wabi »

Welcome to the forum!
I'm sure Dan Miller will have you set up with good equipment, and I've learned his advice is good!
I tried the Swhacker 100gr 2" cut heads this year (one deer so far) and was pleased with the results. A 15 yards shot from 15' in the air (ladder stand) and I had a good blood trail from where the deer was standing to where it fell. The exit wound was low from the elevated stand, and the results were good - about a 40 yard (maybe less, I didn't step it off) recovery.
wabi
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

georgiaboy wrote:Welcome to the forum!!! :D :D
I use Dalton's string wax...the string about every 100/150 shots, the serving about every 25. I use nothing on the rail.
love that stuff,works great!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

X3 on the daltons. Good stuff
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
westernMDhunter

I got it all put together and sighted in today. Impressive to say the least. Only problem I had was a couple of inserts on the bolts pulled out and are stuck in the bag target. Tried a swhacker broadhead on the bag target and it didn't open up, so I am a little leary of them. The slick tricks flew straight as always and blew through the bag with about 4 inches of bolt sticking out the backside at 30 yards. Very pleased with the bag target Dan Miller recommended (Bone Collecter 400 fps Morrell target). The crossbow itself, no complaints. Trigger seems to get smoother with each shot fired today. It might have been my eyes playing tricks on me but sometimes using the rope cocking aid it seemed there was sometimes more serving showing on one side than the other when the bow was cocked. Not sure if the cocking aid brings the string back to the same position everytime or not. Can't wait to get a shot oppurtunity at a deer soon, hopefully. Thanks for all the tips and if you have any suggestions as to anything I stated please let me know. Good luck hunting to everyone.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Your bag target isn't going to last long if you keep using broadheads on it.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

you will enjoy the bow! and welcome to the forum!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Congrats on your new Excal Danny is great to work with and talk to. The Slick Tricks work great as well as a lot of other mechanicals. A lot of people use Spit Fires but I'm shooting the Slick Tricks but going to try some QAD Exodus heads after season goes out they are 3 blade fixed heads and look and shoot pretty awesome from what I've saw.

Welcome to the Forum and good luck shooting.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads