The Definitive Answer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

The Definitive Answer

Post by awshucks »

Most of those that know me..........well, re: Mowerman's thread: Need Help Please -----

I decided to call Danny Miller over this. Got ahold of him at 11 a.m. our time today. Remember, this guy does NOT do computers.

Sent him via email [good addy] a link to the thread. I had this nagging feeling that the dings in the nocks looked too similar to be near Robbin Hoods.

Sent him a link, got a call right after that, helped him find the thread, yada, yada, yada.

What he told me and I'm sharing now, is as I suspected, due to arrows striking a previously shot arrow, I.E. near Robbin Hood.

Thought y'all might appreciate this............
"Eze 18:21"
gerald strine

Re: The Definitive Answer

Post by gerald strine »

Nice of you to go the extra mile to help out a fellow hunter good job.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Thanks. He gave me a pregnant silence once I explained the problem. His opinion followed mine, once you eliminate the obvious [no part can do the damage]
we are left w/ the obvious remainder............

He's quite the man...........
wabi

Post by wabi »

Went back and looked at the thread & pics. No doubt in my mind it's a result of shooting more than one arrow at the same spot on the target. (I did it several times before I learned better :oops: )
wabi
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

It looks just like one of mine also, but the guy did state,"It is not a case of a near robin hood as I have had it happen this afternoon with only shooting one arrow."

So he either shot one of his already nicked arrows or ----!
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

awshucks wrote:Most of those that know me..........well, re: Mowerman's thread: Need Help Please -----

I decided to call Danny Miller over this. Got ahold of him at 11 a.m. our time today. Remember, this guy does NOT do computers.

Sent him via email [good addy] a link to the thread. I had this nagging feeling that the dings in the nocks looked too similar to be near Robbin Hoods.

Sent him a link, got a call right after that, helped him find the thread, yada, yada, yada.

What he told me and I'm sharing now, is as I suspected, due to arrows striking a previously shot arrow, I.E. near Robbin Hood.

Thought y'all might appreciate this............

I don't blame Danny for not doing computers.
I can just imagine all the nonsense he would have to deal with otherwise, yada, yada, yada.

The man is trying to run a business.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I applaud you awshucks ! I'm sure the fellow members will also
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
strum

Post by strum »

im in the group that belives its a near RH issue..but my issue is ..here we all are trying to take a guess and he dropped off the planet :?
i wish he would have let us know if its been resovled..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'm sticking with the near robin-hood answer.
If you look closely at the nicks they are coming from the rear (nock end) of the arrows!
I copied the pic posted on the other thread and took a closer look.

The arrow in the center shows it pretty clearly!

The arrow shaft shows no unusual damage or wear lined up with the cut, but the metal from the nock looks like it "flowed" forward (toward the fletching). Looks like a case of damage from a "rear end" collision to me!
wabi
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

No doubt in my mind Awshucks, I agree w/ya
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

strum wrote:im in the group that belives its a near RH issue..but my issue is ..here we all are trying to take a guess and he dropped off the planet :?
i wish he would have let us know if its been resovled..
Big 'ol +1 from me. Gotta appreciate the fact that we are all trying to troubleshoot and figure it out... But who are we helping if the OP up and disappeared? :wink:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

fuzzy wrote:I understand the deductive logic, but I'm not buying it. :o No three near robinhoods are that symmetrical to each other in size, shape, depth - no way. That kind of consistency is mechanical in nature. Until the OP clears the air, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :) Good luck.
I can respect that. Btw, I meant no dis-respect to the OP either. Being more or less buds w/ Danny, I figured I'd get his opinion.

I honestly thought w/ all the problems he's gotten, this would be a 'quickie'. Didn't happen.

The similarity of the dings bothers me still. However, there is just nothing on the xbows that will cause this, which Miller concurred w/.

If you stop to think about it, why do they all look the same? There's a threaded hole in the nocks, a field point hitting the hole is a Robbin Hood. How can a hit from another arrow give relatively every one a similar ding? There's quite a bit of room from the hole outward to hit. One would assume that there should be from minor damage to major, not quite a perfect Hood?

I don't recall ever seeing posts of near misses w/ major damage to the nocks, but that could be my memory problems, lol.

Now, I have to go out in the shop and inspect my nocks, lol. Life is tough :mrgreen:
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

iv,e had many nocks that looked like that and it only went away when I started shooting one arrow at each bull !
Last edited by Masboy on Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We get these all the time in 3D... Playing "Nick-A-Nock." :)
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.