Rattling

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mijo

Rattling

Post by Mijo »

Never was big on rattling deer but after seeing these tv shows I gave my doe bleating a break. This weekend I had two different bucks out of bow range and once I rattled, tail up and gone. Am I doing something wrong? I know these bucks could of just been scared being rut and all! And advice would be helpful.
Equinox
Lumenok fire bots
Boo string w/ wiskers
X-act or thunder Heads " depending on mood"
Lumi-zone scope
Dayelight

Re: Rattling

Post by Dayelight »

Its hard to say considering I wasn't there in person to see what happened. Heck, even if I was there I probably wouldn't know.
If the buck to doe ratio is off they won't be competing. I could see how that could scare them off. That might be something to look into. If its not normal for them to have to compete it might spook them.
Another thing is the size of the rack you were using. I was reading some from Alsheimers hunting book and if Im not mistaken the size of the rack makes a difference in the sound. Small deer are intimidated by bigger deer.
One other thing I can think of is how old the rack you are using is. According to Alsheimer if the rack is old the sound will be off.
Good luck.
Axiom SMF
S5, Cheekrest, Munch Mount
Vixenmaster FF
BEEs
Spitfire MAXX and Slick Tricks
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Spot on.
Round here, there are plenty of does to go around, so there is no need to compete. Situation like that, two bucks going after each other would sound unnatural, and would most likely spook any deer that's been around long enough to know it.
Second point, I've heard sheds make horrible rattlers, given the tone change once they dry out. Cut off the skull is apparently the best way to go, even if a couple years old.

Learn your area, learn your deer... Best advice I can give.
I swear I spend more time just watching them than I do actual hunting.
dewy

Post by dewy »

I have very little experience rattling so you can take this for what its worth :wink: Here is what has worked for me and my buddy the last few days.

My friend and I are hunting urban areas were the deer numbers are high. We have both had good success "tickling" antlers together the last few mornings for 30- 45 seconds and then following that up with a few doe bleats spaced out 3 to 4 seconds apart. We have each brought in bucks with this method. Granted not all of them were shooters but one was and my buddy drilled him at 15 yards after he came in to investigate what was happening on his turf.

As stated earlier by others the size of the rack may matter. I'm using a small 9 point rack, basket size with thin tines.
Micro 335
15" BEE's
125gr Shwackers
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Takes the right conditions : high buck to doe ratio (competition for breeding rights), right stage of the rut. Bucks won't come running - even with lot's of competition - if it's not breeding time. Then too, smaller bucks who got their tail whipped by the area boss buck will actually run from the area if rattling is too loud.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!