luminocks??? need a little help!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowjay

luminocks??? need a little help!

Post by xbowjay »

Went to buy a pack of luminocks to add to my firebolts. The guy at the store told me I had to heat the nock end of the firebolt with a candle to melt out the old nock. The other guy said I had to boil the nock end of the bolt. I didnt try either yet, figured i could get a straight answer from here. Thanks in advance.

side note- ive read through some of the other post about luminocs, cant really afford to buy bolts with luminocs already installed before hunting this weekend, so just want to purchase a single insert.
Axiom
707 acers pure deer bliss
Meldrum Bay, Manitoulin Island
huddles

Re: luminocks??? need a little help!

Post by huddles »

grab a lighter and heat the carbon near the nock. use a field point and pull the insert out when heated. it should come right out - just did it myself. before putting the luminock in make sure to clean out the bolt of any excess glue.
xbowjay

Post by xbowjay »

perfect. Thank you very much.
Axiom
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It is generally not a good idea to apply the heat directly to the carbon. I like to use a longer threaded rod and heat it (3-4" away from arrow shaft), letting the heat radiate from the rod to the inside of the aluminum inser/nock. If you don't have that then leave the field point in and heat the field point, it is a slower, more controlled way of applying the heat. Heat directly on the shaft can weaken the carbon and may cause future problems.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
xbowjay

Post by xbowjay »

cool, what size threaded rod. im at work so i can grab some if i know what i need.
Axiom
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I do not know, I just dug through my screw bin until something fit. The rod I ended up with is actually a screw from a ceiling anchor.
Awshucks knows the exact numbers, it was him who taught me this years ago.

Ok, found some of his posts, it is 8/32.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sipsey

Post by sipsey »

Just screw in a practice point and use a set of pliars. Hold the tip over heat and twist, pull the insert as it loosens. You may have to use Emory cloth or fine sand paper to clean out the residue. Be sure and practice with the lumenok to check your point of impact. Mine shot 5" lower than my regular firebolts, I went back to using my non-lumenok arrow. Gook luck.
Exomax
Lumizone
Boo Trigger
Firebolts
125 Stricnines
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

I used the hot water not hot enough to boil.
Had no problems at all.
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Pydpiper wrote:It is generally not a good idea to apply the heat directly to the carbon. I like to use a longer threaded rod and heat it (3-4" away from arrow shaft), letting the heat radiate from the rod to the inside of the aluminum inser/nock. If you don't have that then leave the field point in and heat the field point, it is a slower, more controlled way of applying the heat. Heat directly on the shaft can weaken the carbon and may cause future problems.
This is my prefered method also. Works like a charm. :wink:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads