deer came to call tonight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

deer came to call tonight

Post by Masboy »

had my first buck come in to my wabi call tonight . he came in after a couple of short grunts and just stood there t 30 yds looking to see where it came from and I had the crosshair on him and I thought he would never look away so I could rest my bow . my arms still hurt! he was a fat little 4 but not what I, m after . then a doe came out of the thicket and they both went into another thicket and disappeared then I made one short grunt and back he came to the same spot and was looking again . then they both went back the way they came.then I got down and met my son who had been watching a nice buck chasing a doe in the field and did not respond to his calling .he said they both ran by my jeep parked along the field no more than 20yds from it and close to two of our field stands.was an exciting night and maybe next time I,ll be the right place the right time! we have like 10 stands in that area and it,t hard to pick the right one!!!!!
wabi

Re: deer came to call tonight

Post by wabi »

Good to hear the call worked, even if it wasn't a buck you wanted to shoot.
But it's fun just to call them in. :D
wabi
Hemlock Ranger

Post by Hemlock Ranger »

I'm now hooked on calling them. A couple years ago I called a 9 pt. to my rifle, and this year I called and used a decoy. The buck wasn't the biggest in the area but he put on a great show and I could not resist shooting him. Keep it up and you will be hooked too! So far I get more results with grunts and doe bleats and some snort wheeze. Not so much with rattling.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Sometimes they work and sometimes they scare deer. Be careful blowing when they are close, they can lock on to the sound and make you, then will be looking for you in that stand thereafter. Bucks that are hooked-up (tending a doe) are tough to divert and very single minded. A friend walked up on a buck that was hooked up to within 40 yards and the buck grunted a challenge at HIM.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I,m an experienced caller this was just my first buck using my new wabi call.I love this call it sounds great but the deer just havn,t been paying much attention to calls till here lately? but I agree that I hardly ever call once they get close. that,s the only bad thing about calling they no exactly where it came from and are really looking when they come in. I make a couple calls and don,t move and just watch and listen for quite a while.I love calling be it turkey or deer . nothing more exciting than calling one in for me!!!!!
Hemlock Ranger

Post by Hemlock Ranger »

What is the wabi call, and where are they available?
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

wabi is one of the forum members on here and makes beautiful calls that sound great and were on the trading post. best sounding call my sons and I have used !
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Love my Wabi call too! Worked for me.

Mine is made of wenge wood - the grain is beautiful and I often find myself
admiring it while waiting for deer.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I used Mikes call this year to call in and fill 4 family tags this season, this is now my favourite call.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Hopefully this "so close" day of hunting will put you one closer to a successful score. That must of been exciting and heartbreaking at the same time. Keep at it Masboy; were praying for safety and success for you and your boys.