Can't seem to get it right...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GooGoos

Can't seem to get it right...

Post by GooGoos »

Well as most of you all know, before I went to basic training last year I was on fire with my Axiom. Then I took my bow out for the first time this year and missed a doe, as most of yall saw in the video I posted. The shot went right over her. Well Sunday night, I had hogs chase a deer away; there was about 20 lil hogs rootin around with mama. Well mama came in and got so close I could hear her crunching on the acorns. I put the 20yd pin on her and shot right under her! About 5 to 10 minutes later I hear dads black powder go off. Take a wild guess at what he dropped. If you guess hog you are correct. What do you guys think I am doing wrong? I really wanna drop something with the bow this year. This really has me bummed out.
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
Normous

Re: Can't seem to get it right...

Post by Normous »

Maybe jitters, maybe not enough practice. Have you practiced much? Remember, a clean miss is much better than a poor wounding hit.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Do you have a rangefinder? I realized why I was not a fan of tree stands. It was because I have no sense of distance. I borrowed a friends range finder & was able to score a doe because I finally knew the correct distance of each tree around me.

Worth a try!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Do you have a rangefinder? I realized why I was not a fan of tree stands. It was because I have no sense of distance. I borrowed a friends range finder & was able to score a doe because I finally knew the correct distance of each tree around me.

Worth a try!
x2
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
wabi

Post by wabi »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Do you have a rangefinder? I realized why I was not a fan of tree stands. It was because I have no sense of distance. I borrowed a friends range finder & was able to score a doe because I finally knew the correct distance of each tree around me.

Worth a try!
X3

I use a Phoenix and a Leupold scope (single crosshair) sighted in at 25 yards. A "center of the kill zone" hold will take a deer from 0-30 yards that way. I range objects so I'll know if the deer is inside 30 yards, and if it is all that is required is a good hold and trigger squeeze.
wabi
cooterdog

Post by cooterdog »

Hate to suggest it but I would seriously check the scope for tightness then take a few shots to be certain where its hitting. If all that goes good then could be as said before maybe just jitters.
Excalibur Equinox
Standard Firebolts
150grain slicks
JRT hunting partner
(coming soon)
HHA Opimizer
Redfield 2-7
EZ Fletch Bolt
Blazers
maple

Post by maple »

If you need some help with those hogs, I'm on my way!

Shoot some 'practice hogs' and see what's going on.

Me, I'm a lousy freehand shot. Too much unsteadyness going on. Do you use a rest of some sort?

I know you can do it.
diesel

Post by diesel »

enormous wrote:Maybe jitters, maybe not enough practice. Have you practiced much? Remember, a clean miss is much better than a poor wounding hit.
May be practice from the tree stand with the range finder . We will use a range finder when putting up stands and put 30 yrd markers out around the stand to help .
peter p

Post by peter p »

Try sighting it in again and see how she shoots.
something may be outa wack.

Peter
frisky

Post by frisky »

I hunt from a ladder stand. I cheat, I MEASURE the distance to some favourite, trails and mark spots, on trees with spray paint. :D :D :mrgreen:
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Another option would be to find an easy to pack, portable target (rinehart! :wink: ) and try taking a few shots from your stand....

Or pace it off and take a few shots from the garage roof.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

All replies to this point are useless. Get a rf and shoot the spots you expect hogs to come into before hand.

I'm too much an Excal fan to believe other wise.......... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

frisky wrote:I hunt from a ladder stand. I cheat, I MEASURE the distance to some favourite, trails and mark spots, on trees with spray paint. :D :D :mrgreen:

Great idea!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yo spect yer either droppin yer arm or movin yer head or jerkin trigger before yer arrow clears Riser
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

Not holding your mouth right :lol: next shot you take pucker up like your giving the critter the kiss of death ....only kidding ....re check your distances and re site in to make sure nothing is off .
Good luck