Excalibur flexion concern.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Joshua 24:15

Excalibur flexion concern.

Post by Joshua 24:15 »

Good day all,
I would like your researched opinions. Below are two links. In these links an Excalibur is filmed performing in "slow motion." The poster, "crossbowreview" on YouTube, has posted several other xbows in the same manner. However, the Excalibur has more flexion compaired to the other xbows--especially at the scope. This is a concern for me.

I'm asking due to recently buying and then returning another brand of xbow that I researched to be a good and less expensive xbow. I went through major hoops to return it. I returned it due to wanting, what I've heard to be the best xbow on the market, an Excalibur. I recently purchased a Vortex, which is soon to come.

After you viewing the video, do you think this will cause issues later with the scope or other components or to the integrity of the Excalibur xbow?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmntwlIhco4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fv04d9nBl4&feature=plcp
1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
Perforator

Re: Excalibur flexion concern.

Post by Perforator »

I've seen the same video before. If my Exocet hasn't already shown itself as accurate as a laser beam (OK some exaggeration) I would be concerned.
The arrow is gone before the scope starts to bunny hop, as long as it always returns to the same spot it's fine.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

There are thousands of satisfied Excal owners killing deer............
"Eze 18:21"
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Welcome to the forum!! :D
Your vortex will be DEADLY accurate...don't worry. :wink:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
wabi

Post by wabi »

I wouldn't worry about it. Overall Excaliburs are very accurate and trouble free.

Having said that I would go further and guess that all Excaliburs are not created equal. I've owned three, and shot several others. Each had it's individual strengths and weaknesses. I would guess the one in the video had a "sloppy" fit somewhere in the assembly that holds the scope. Would it be a problem? Could be, but if it does Excalibur will correct it!
My first Excalibur was a gem. A Vixen that was a great performer as far as accuracy and durability, but it never got the advertised arrow speeds for a Vixen. (no big problem)
Second one was an Exocet (the old 175#) and the trigger was terrible out of the box. I was able to make it better by cleaning it with WD-40. It was "good enough", but never great.
Third (and present) one a Phoenix, and it has been a destroyer of scopes. I had 2 TenPoint scopes fail, 1 (not 100% sure of brand) spare riflescope used as a backup fail, 1 Excalibur Varizone fail, and finally my Leupold 2-7X shotgun scope has survived for several seasons now.
I'm guessing it may be like the one in the video that really shakes the scope around?

But the majority of Excaliburs have no problems, and it's worth the trouble of correcting the small problems (or living with them) to have the benefits of the Excalibur.
wabi
Bones

Post by Bones »

awshucks wrote:There are thousands of satisfied Excal owners killing deer............
Have to agree !! If my Exo 200 could talk it would have me up on abuse charges!
It has never let me down in the 8 years i've had it. No need to worry.
Hemlock Ranger

Post by Hemlock Ranger »

I have another brand of crossbow thar broke the mount completly in two on the first or second shot. They replaced it free of charge. When I remounted the scope I "bubba" fixed it by adding a zip tie around it to control the recoil. Resulted in broken scope. No problems with my Axiom so far.
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

I noticed that video a while back.

I only shoot 3D tournaments with my Equinox and wanted to quiet shot vibration on the bow as soon as I got it. without affecting its speed. Here is what I did; heat shrink on the arrow retainer, Limbsaver Tentacle Wrap over the stirrup, Bowjax Super Maxjax Dampener over the rubber stoppers on the STS System, Bowjax MonsterJax Limb Dampeners attached to the side of the rail near the riser.

After viewing the video, I bought some 1/8 inch rubber cord (only size that I could find) used to make O-rings. Cut a ~6 inch length and tied that around the scopes tube leaving two 1 inch and a bit tag ends. Put a drop of Krazy Glue on the knot to help keep it tight. Repeated this until the area on the tube between the Objective Bell and the Elevation/Windage Adjustment had five of these tied side-by-side (five was all I could fit). The first shot after doing this told me the cord was definitely dampening the rocking scope. It felt VERY VERY different from pre-cord shots. Give it a try. Depending on what scope you have you might want to use a slightly longer or shorter piece of cord.

Down the road I am planing to try different cord thicknesses and tag end lengths to see if it makes a more positive result.
Equinox (2011)
Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR Scope
HHA Optimizer
TriggerTech Target Trigger
OFAH Member
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

On my 2nd season with my Ibex.
Had one problem with a scope it was replaced by Don withing 2 days.
(it was a factory problem) As far as replacement people bent over backwards to solve problem.
She has been thru hell with me and is still a tack driver.
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Please don't worry yourself over a you tube video slow motion videos show a lot of things in vertical and crossbows but the bottom line is most of them still shoot great. The Vortex you ordered will be top notch from what I've seen out of mine. They''ll shoot 1-2 inch groups out to 50 yards with the right combination.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Rudolph

Post by Rudolph »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPNJIXmyAvY&feature=plcp
First see the rail of this 10 point and than worry about the accuracy of Excal :D .

By the way we in the air gun division use for our magnum spring- piston air guns special ultra tough optics. The spring piston air guns have not one, but 3 recoils, once backwards, than fast forward and than once again backward recoil. This makes almost every good rifle scope go bye bye after 100- 200 shots. They are simply designed for one powerful backward recoil. For our springers we use special ultra tough scopes, like the Leapers, Bushnell and the special series of Nikko Stirling( like Air King) . They cost usually under 100- 150 $. This optics are designed to survive the recoil(s) of a magnum springer, they can survive even on a howitzer :D That's just an advice. For shooting at 30 yards you don't need a glass anyways 8) .
2012 Phoenix
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Don't fret the videos or worry about trouble with your Vortex. In the unlikely event that you have a problem with it Excalibur's warranty and customer service is second to none! I shoot a Vortex and just love this bow! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads