red dot- scope or sight??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jody5252

red dot- scope or sight??

Post by jody5252 »

greetings everyone! hope you all have some venison (or any delicious wild game) in the freezer by now or at least made an honest effort. for some of us thats the only reward we got :( the good lord must still have me on the bottom of getting any deer list!! :roll: considering going to a different sight. i currently use an excellent fiber optic sight from bad river. however, my eyes are aging faster than i am, so i am looking toward getting a red dot sight. (excalibur model #1960) has any one ever used one? are they rugged or do you have to baby them? how do they stand up to rain and snow? what about accuracy? also what about a red dot scope (tru-glo, red hot, etc.) are they any better? any info. would be greatly appreciated... happy thanksgiving to all, each and everyone of us has something to be thankful for!! god bless... j.
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
SPITFIRE

Re: red dot- scope or sight??

Post by SPITFIRE »

Personally I prefer a scope with a cross hair. I don't need a lighted cross hair either. I found that I don't have any trouble turning them on. I just never can remember to turn them OFF!!!. :shock: No problem with the cross hair scope but a red dot is finished with a dead battery. Many people like them and they work fine, just not for me. This is "JMO" You must decide for yourself.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Red-dot sights work fine, but the dependency on a battery is the down side for me.
If I were going to use one I'd get a single dot and sight in at a range where I could hold dead-on from 0-? yards like I do with my Leupold scope.
For my Phoenix that's a 25 yard sight in and any deer from 0-30 yards is dead with a "center of the kill zone" hold.
wabi
Bunt

Post by Bunt »

I would consider the varizone or the lumizone scope. You can shoot with pinpoint accuracy from 10-50 yards.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Those sight's do not like water , Many dot's when wet, stick with a scope.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2 on the Vari-zone..........
"Eze 18:21"
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

I am going to try a Burris Fastfire II scope next year. Small, lightweight (2 oz) and 4 MOA dot. I think if I dial it in for 25 yards, I will be good to go for all the ranges that I shoot.

Im using a Lumizone now.
BryanOney

Post by BryanOney »

I have tried red dots, sights and scopes on x bows over they years. I like the scope best. When using sights I would sometimes get excited and not line them up very well and miss. With a red dot I had trouble seeing the dot under certain light conditions and I would forget to turn off the battery and it would be dead when I needed it. With a scope no batteries to go dead, put the crosshair where you want the bolt to go and squeeze the trigger. I like a scope with a FOV of greater than 66 feet. That way I can see all of the deer when it is close to the base of my tree through the scope and not just brown fur.
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

Catpower i have the Burris fastfire the problem is right at dark it will go off and have no dot i thought i might try and put a sight light on it and see if that would help
mitch

Post by mitch »

X3 for Vari-zone.
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »