S5 string shock suppression system review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Peacemaker

Re: S5 string shock suppression system review

Post by Peacemaker »

In my opinion, after many shots with and without the S5, and with adjusting the brace height, I agree with most of the initial assessments. It does not reduce the overall loudness (amplitude), but it does reduce the length of time of the noise. Moreover, in more technical terms, it does nothing for the initial "thwack," but it does reduce or eliminate the "twang" which follows.

A little more data, based on my target practice and testing: If the brace height is adjusted so that the uncocked string is just touching the S5 pads, there is not "twang" at all. If you adjust the brace height so that it is just off the pads, then there is a slight twang. The farther off the pads that you are, the more "twang" that you hear.

My opinion is that it is worthwhile. It reduces noise, it gives you some dryfire protection, and most importantly, it looks cool.

Anybody have any idea how long the pads should last? After about 50 shots the pads are not yet split (I rotate them every few shots), but one is started to do so....).
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I've shot mine over 500 times at least and only turn them when I see signs of wear.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

We put the S5s on my son's Axiom SMF and it seemed to me that it changed and quieted the sound somewhat. Another advantage was that it is easy to check the BH and we found that BH really affects the accuracy of the CB. We keep the BH at 1 & 1/16" which is just off the S5s. We will do my other son's Vortex next week.
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
miller1buc

Post by miller1buc »

robertyb wrote:
miller1buc wrote:As I have commented on this topic in several places, the s5 is a waste of money if you are wanting to make your bow less noisy. For that purpose they are a $30 paperweight.

The only real purpose I can see for keeping them on is in the event of a dry fire. Other than that ... worthless.

Opinions are like assholes.
Everybody has one. :mrgreen:

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And some stink.
BigBadJohn

Post by BigBadJohn »

Has anyone ever tested the S5 system with a sound meter to see exactly how loud and long the sound is before and after installation? Just curious! BBJ