Upgrading Optics

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ont_Excal

Re: Upgrading Optics

Post by Ont_Excal »

FWIW:
Target Shooting!!
I would add an HHA Optimizer and shoot the scope you have for long distance targets.
The optics in any scope are most accurate at the center of the lens.
Distortion increases as we get farther out from center.
This is more critical at longer yardages so you want to keep your target in the center of the scope and not use chevrons.

For this I keep my old Maxzone scope and will add an HHA Optimizer when funds will allow.

Hunting Situations!!
In this case I use a ShadowZone and am satisfied with it's performance out to 50 yards although I only shoot at longer yardage while hunting to remove feral cats and coyotes.
For my deer hunting the ShadowZone fills the bill.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
rej

Post by rej »

Deerstalker wrote:I suggest that you keep the old scope until you are satisfied with the Leupold scope. I tried the Crossbones scope on my Equinox & it would not adjust enough. Leupold CS suggested a shim under the front scope mount. I went back to the Varizone.
X2 on that. I got a Hawke XB30 and things are going fine but I kept the shadow zone, just in case.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I bought the Excalibur Equinox Shadow Zone package this year and successfully harvested a large white-tailed doe this past early November. The Excalibur Chinese made Shadow Zone scope worked flawlessly for me, but I will be swapping it out for a Leupold scope.

I recently picked up a lightly used Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm NWTF Edition Shotgun Scope in Dark Earth color with Turkey Plex reticle. This finish should match the Equinox camouflage very well. My plan is sighting in at 25 yards for center cross hair and testing from 0 to 40 yards too see how far the arrows hit above and below.

http://staging.leupold.com/hunting-and- ... f-edition/

yooper_man
Last edited by yooper_man on Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I think scope choice depends on everyone's own hunting and shooting situations. I have eye problems and the deer here don't move till dark thirty so I need a scope that fits that . You may need something completely opposite
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

yooper_man wrote:I bought the Excalibur Equinox Shadow Zone package this year and successfully harvested a large white-tailed doe this past early November. The Excalibur Chinese made Shadow Zone scope worked flawlessly for me, but I will be swapping it out for a Leupold scope.

I recently picked up a lightly used Leupold VX-I 2-7x33mm NWTF Edition Shotgun Scope in Dark Earth color with Turkey Plex reticle. This finish should match the Equinox camouflage very well. My plan is sighting in at 25 yards for center cross hair and testing from 0 to 40 yards too see how far the arrows hit above and below.

http://staging.leupold.com/hunting-and- ... f-edition/

yooper_man
That "dark earth" color matches some of the older Excal rails pretty well. I've got aLeupold 1-4 x with same reticle you have and am working on gettin' the scope mt. and rings done in same color.If I get it all worked out I'll post a pic or two.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

flightattendant100,

I have been thinking about using Duracoat in Leupold's Dark Earth to finish all the metal furniture on my Excalibur Equinox. My Equinox has a mixture of black and green, so it would be nice to color the scope base/rings, foot stirrup, S5 String Shock Sound Suppression System and Dissipator Bar equipment.

Plus I would finish the Munch quiver mount, but I cannot decide on which model too purchase.

I wanted a Leupold's heavy duplex reticle but wanted Leupold's Dark Earth finish, so I was happy to see Turkey Plex reticle has heavy vertical and horizontal bars and will be easy to pickup in low light conditions like I wanted. I don't think the center circle will add anything, but might help guild my eye to the center.

yooper_man

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
flightattendant100

yooper_man wrote:flightattendant100,

I have been thinking about using Duracoat in Leupold's Dark Earth to finish all the metal furniture on my Excalibur Equinox. My Equinox has a mixture of black and green, so it would be nice to color the scope base/rings, foot stirrup, S5 String Shock Sound Suppression System and Dissipator Bar equipment.

Plus I would finish the Munch quiver mount, but I cannot decide on which model too purchase.

I wanted a Leupold's heavy duplex reticle but wanted Leupold's Dark Earth finish, so I was happy to see Turkey Plex reticle has heavy vertical and horizontal bars and will be easy to pickup in low light conditions like I wanted. I don't think the center circle will add anything, but might help guild my eye to the center.

yooper_man
I got the reticle with the circle thinking that it would work better for changing the power setting to act as yardage marks like the varizone. I think now that its too busy and so a bit confusing.I have since found another 1-4x with the regular heavy duplex and a straight 4x with the heavy duplex. I am going to play with these this off season and see which one I like best.
Does the duracoat color match the Leupold dark earth color pretty well? I hadnt thought about that option as I was going to check with the local anodize place and see what they could do and how much it would cost.Thanks for the idea, I will look into that. I am old enough that guns were polished and blued not painted. It never crossed my mind about the duracoat.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

flightattendant100,

I did see that the Leupold Turkey Plex reticle is 6.5 inches at 45 yards when its set on 4x magnifacation. Obviously this is used for Turkey hunting, but can this help for anything on my crossbow.

I might be able too use this circle as a measuring device at known distances if I consider the kill zone too be 6-7 inches high or low who knows.

No matter, I am planning on using the center cross hair for 25 yards and see how the arrows hit from 0 - 40 yards. I have read some folks say its only a few inches higher or lower off of the 25 yard mark if only using the center cross hair.

yooper_man

xbowkidd

Post by xbowkidd »

i shoot a leupold vx-2 shotgun 1-4 power. excellent optics for the money.
Team Dryfire
Cat power

Post by Cat power »

I installed a Burris Fast Fire II on my Ibex. Dropped a ton of weight off the bow.

flightattendant100

Cat power wrote:I installed a Burris Fast Fire II on my Ibex. Dropped a ton of weight off the bow.

I have been looking at the Fast fire for the same reason and have looked at Leupolds little tiny one.I figured you could loose some more wt. off the mt. by cutting it down a quite a bit. Those little sights weigh in at 1-2 oz. so they are approx. same wt. as the iron sights on an Excal. May be one in my future.
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

flightattendant100 wrote: Does the duracoat color match the Leupold dark earth color pretty well? I hadnt thought about that option as I was going to check with the local anodize place and see what they could do and how much it would cost.Thanks for the idea, I will look into that. I am old enough that guns were polished and blued not painted. It never crossed my mind about the duracoat.
I am not sure how well the Lauer's Duracoat Leupold Dark Earth will match the actual Leupold's Dark Earth scope finish, but I am sure its better than all the black and green mixed. I also may not painting anything, first I will sight in the Leupold scope and see how it performs.

Duracoat is a spray and wait using Lauer Duracoat Shake N' Spray kit or your own airbrush.

Yes I know what you mean, I have a Ruger M77 MKII in 270 Winchester and its is gloss blue finish with satin walnut stock and I installed a gloss finish Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40mm scope. I do like my hunting equipment all matte finish, but I have taken deer with this rifle and the shine has never been an issue.

yooper_man
Last edited by yooper_man on Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryon

Post by Cryon »

Any one who is shooting the leupold vx 1-4x
How would you rate it for light gathering capabilities with it being a 20mm objective as opposed to the 32 or 40 mm objectives of the varizone lumizone or shadow zone?
Exocet 165
Vixen Deluxe
Shadow Zone
Ibex SMF
Boo Custom Strings
Vixenmaster Strings
Munch Mounts
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Cryon wrote:Any one who is shooting the leupold vx 1-4x
How would you rate it for light gathering capabilities with it being a 20mm objective as opposed to the 32 or 40 mm objectives of the varizone lumizone or shadow zone?
Used to have one of the 20mm Leopolds on my 22. Didn't much like the poor light gathering performance under low light conditions, so swapped it out for a Bushnell 3-9 x 40mm. MUCH better!

I am not overly concerned with the weight of my bow, stand hunt as much as anything, and even when spot 'n stalking, the weight is minimal compared to several of my rifles. I am thinking of going with the HHA Optimizer and a 50mm Leopold for target shooting over the off-season. Depending on just how that works out, may even leave it on the bow for hunting down the road...

General rule is the Bigger the objective lens, the better performance in low light. 50mm should do the job just fine for those early morning Twilight Shots!! :twisted:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I traded my Lumizone for the Leupold shotgun scope. . .I really can't tell a big difference in the light gathering abilities and really don't give that a lot of consideration. In reality, the difference might be 10 minutes of illegal shooting.

I'm more concerned with being able to zero in the scope to dead center and it staying there. The Leupold is awesome at that job!

That was a great trade . . .one of my few really good ones. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen