My first duck hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

UPSMAN

My first duck hunt

Post by UPSMAN »

Want to thank my coworker buddy,Rob, for taking me along on my first ever duck hunt. It was a wild time. Managed to kill 5 birds out of a 6 bird limit. I can possible see a duck boat and maybe my own dog in the future. Got a long way to go to be able to hang with the Duck Commander Boys.Image
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Masboy

Re: My first duck hunt

Post by Masboy »

some nice ducks! looks like a lot of fun and I always wanted to because I live close to the river and always see a lot of ducks and geese while fishing but don,t know much about ducks. looks just like my lab!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Great hunt!
UPSMAN, now I see where the name comes from.. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Masboy wrote:some nice ducks! looks like a lot of fun and I always wanted to because I live close to the river and always see a lot of ducks and geese while fishing but don,t know much about ducks. looks just like my lab!
Masboy,
Hunted since I was about 10 years old, but this was my first duck hunt. Can't tell you what a blast it was. FAST & FURIOUS is the only way to describe it. It was a very foggy morning on the lake. The birds were screaming when they materialized out of the fog. It was such a joy to watch a dog retrieve those birds. She was as excited as a kid on Christmas morning. She truly loves being in the water.
Zombie Slayers
Boo String
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

My labs our house pet but we took her out in our goose blind and when we shot she would run out and jump on them . once she seen what was going on she would sit in the blind beside us and look up watching for the geese. she was so excited and I got a kick out of watching her!!!!
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Masboy wrote:My labs our house pet but we took her out in our goose blind and when we shot she would run out and jump on them . once she seen what was going on she would sit in the blind beside us and look up watching for the geese. she was so excited and I got a kick out of watching her!!!!
It takes a lot of time and effort to properly train a water dog. Some of the birds we shot fell several hundred yards away from the boat. There were cattails, lily pads and floating grass everywhere. My buddy had to give the dog hand and verbal signals on which direction to swim. Watching the dog work was as much fun as doing the shooting. :D :D
Zombie Slayers
Boo String
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

When I was a kid growin' up, we didnt have a deer lease or any place to deer hunt, but my dad and the neighbor had a duck blind on one of the area lakes.I think thats the coldest I have ever been! But also a lot of fun.I havent been duck huntin' in years but still have some fond memories.
RobB

Post by RobB »

Nice looking ring necks and scaup. Those sure are some fast birds to hunt, but nothing like seeing them decoy over a spread. Good job!

Rob
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Very nice, and a handsome dog too. Good to hear your first duck hunt was a blast! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

It is an addictive sport. Once you're hooked you'll live for it. I took my kids back to my old stomping grounds in Arkansas the week of Thanksgiving for their first "real" duck hunting. Shooting geese here on the Shenandoah doesn't compare to duck hunting in the timber of Arkansas. They had a blast and want to make it an annual trip. My profile picture was from opening day (17 Nov).

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

DuckHunt wrote:It is an addictive sport. Once you're hooked you'll live for it. I took my kids back to my old stomping grounds in Arkansas the week of Thanksgiving for their first "real" duck hunting. Shooting geese here on the Shenandoah doesn't compare to duck hunting in the timber of Arkansas. They had a blast and want to make it an annual trip. My profile picture was from opening day (17 Nov).

DuckHunt
My buddy wants to go to Arkansas next year. He asked me to go with him so I think I might. He is still in search of a quality guide service. Do you happen to know of any?
Zombie Slayers
Boo String
GooGoos

Post by GooGoos »

Hell yea way to go!
*PRETTY IN PINK, DEADLY IN CAMO!

*In the fall I get to kill em in the rut, but in the spring I get to watch em strut.
*You can take the girl outta woods, but you can't take the addiction outta the girl!
*Can't kill anything sitting on the couch.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Congrat's on some tasty duck treats !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

UPSMAN wrote:My buddy wants to go to Arkansas next year. He asked me to go with him so I think I might. He is still in search of a quality guide service. Do you happen to know of any?
I would hate to give bad advice. I know there are lots of outfitters. My only recommendation would be to stick to East Central Arkansas. Stuttgart is called the 'Rice and Duck Capitol of the World' for a reason. :)

I grew up there so our hunting was all do it yourself on public land. It was a lot of work and a lot of very early mornings, but I would do it every day if I had the chance.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

What's the best broadhead to use for ducks? :mrgreen: :twisted: