Rocket steelheads impress me

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

Rocket steelheads impress me

Post by Masboy »

I,m a fixed head fan but always trying something just to see how they do and have practiced with quite a few expandables and always bent the ferals ,blades tips and then they would wobble and not spin well. I had these 3 100gr rockets all summer and they been shot a lot . thru deer braking ribs and into the ground and no blades have broke yet but I have sharpened them a few times an all the heads still spin like tops with no tip damage. I shot them on my range with targets on a piece of cardboard and the entry hole looked like a fieldpoint hole . so I though no entry hole on deer. well I shot deer and was supprized at the size of entry with a nice size hole about the same size as the exit hole.I could not tell any difference In the hole size on deer compared to my slicktricks . what I like about them is there as tough as nails,don,t get dull in my quiver,real fieldpoint accuracy from my target bow, and I can resharpen the little blades and shave hair with them. right now all three are in my quiver razer sharp with the same blade they came with and all spin great.they are a real penatrating killer from my vixen! they fly great in all conditions wind or no wind!!!!!!
Normous

Re: Rocket steelheads impress me

Post by Normous »

I used Rockets for about 6-7 years before I started using the Rage 3. The Rocket 2" by 2" four blade 100gr. always left huge gaping holes in all the deer I harvested with them. I never had a bad experience with them.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

This is a 100gr Steelhead shot, very good BH's
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

very impressed with that hole!!!! I,ve spent a lot of money on broadheads every season and this is the first year I have found and recycled all my broadheads I've shot in practice and hunting and all the heads are in great shape! thanks to the all steel heads of rocket and slicktrick! for me I think it,s all about shot placement and learning to be patient and pick your shot no matter what broadhead you use. patients was always a hard thing for me when you have a nice buck standing in front of you! but old dogs can learn because I,m getting better at it. I think !!!!!!!!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Steelhead deer
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

looks like one of them hit by an axe hit you here about! nice shot placement!!!
Moedaddy

Post by Moedaddy »

Been using steel heads for years!!! They are great.
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Might be a dumb question "but" who makes the Rocket steelheads ????? and what grain weight are they. :roll:

Dave
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

trophy ridge makes them. and I use 100gr and suppose to be 1-1/8 cut I think but I measured them opened all the way back and only get 7/8 inch . but they sure put a hole in deer and I think they come also in 125gr.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

enormous wrote: The Rocket 2" by 2" four blade 100gr. always left huge gaping holes in all the deer I harvested with them. I never had a bad experience with them.
Norm, I don't think the 2" four blade is available anymore . . .it was ahead of it's time and Rocket didn't get the attention/sales numbers they were looking for . . .

Rocket was bought out by Trophy Ridge a few years ago and they have made some really good improvements to the ferrule.

They do make some big holes. Here is the entry wound and then the exit would of a doe I killed in October.

The entry . . .

And the exit . . .

The exit doesn't look all that impressive in the picture, but, it was dramatic for the deer. I have pictures of the deer I took in November too around here somewhere, I think . . .but, if you seen one big cut, then you have seen them all.

This deer amazingly went almost 100 yards. It was all downhill, but, still surprises me considering it had two punched lungs and a broken front leg. The other one I shot went about 20 yards on a solid double lung.

Anyway, these were taken with the Rocket, now Trophy Ridge Stricknine, a three blade 2" cut. Trophy Ridge stands behind their product too, great guys there.

Masboy . . .on the width of the cut. . .make sure you have a solid retainer(spacer) ring at the base of the broadhead where it screws into the arrow. It needs to be the same width/diamenter as the arrow too. Otherwise, I have found that aluminum will allow the blades to spread wider when open and make your cut smaller, so will a spacer that is not large enough. I use steel retainer rings. I'm not sure what comes with the broadheads.

The other tip I always give out for you guys that haven't read my "spill" before . . .I use dental elastics to hold my blades in place. They are more consistant than the bands that come with the broadheads. Any kid with braces in their mouth have way more than they will ever use, so steal a pack. :wink:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I carry 2 fixed (100 gr Wasp Boss) and one machanical (Trophy Ridge Hammerhead 2" cut) in my hunting quiver. If I have a clear shot I'll use the mechanical, if I have a chance of shooting through leaves I'll shoot the fixed.

Mechanicals aren't for everyone, but that 2" cut makes a HUGE hole!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.