Assembly Torque

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

zirguy

Assembly Torque

Post by zirguy »

I'm a rifle/shotgun hunter who has just picked up a new Axiom package and a few Excalibur Flemish strings. Being new to crossbows i am hesitant to assemble the riser to the stock and the foot stirrup to the riser without any torque values.

I have the wheeler torque driver with my scope lapping kit and use it religiously on all of my firearms. If i had a torque value i would feel a lot better assembling this thing.

I was thinking 200 in/lbs (17 ft/lbs) for the big riser bolts to the stock
and 100 in/lbs (12.5 ft/lbs) for the foot stirrup bolts

is that overkill for those bolts?

I will be using red (permanent) loctite on those main bolts, and blue loctite on the scope bolts. Scope bolts im guessing are the standard 15 in/lbs and 20 in/lbs for the rings / rail mount screws.

Thanks for the input.
bdog

Re: Assembly Torque

Post by bdog »

check ur pm's
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

First, you must be an engineer. LOL.

Second, I would avoid LocTite or any thread-locker on the main assembly bolts. You will want to dis-assemble the crossbow more than you realize and you don't want to have to break LocTite. A lot of us use a standard double rifle case and take the crossbow apart commonly to transport it.
In the Wind.......
zirguy

Post by zirguy »

thanks bdog.. but i get this message..
"We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature."
zirguy

Post by zirguy »

Thanks See4miles ... i plan (wife...xmas...) on getting the Excalibur soft-case for it, so takedown.. maybe some day, maybe i should just stick to the blue loctite all around..
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Do not use red LT unless you apply to to the screw and let it dry, that stuff is very hard to loosen if it sets in the threads. I'd use blue or even purple, and not much at that.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
zirguy

Post by zirguy »

Thanks Cossack, i will use blue loctite for my entire assembly.

More worried about the specific torque values.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Just use the allen wrenches they send you and go tight w/ them.....They are the short ones for a reason........

X2 on the blue loc-tite........
"Eze 18:21"
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Clean and degrease the screws and their tapped counterparts and use 100% silicone caulk. It sets up and is rubber like,wont let the bolts vibrate out and is easy as pie to take back out. A win win deal.You will never bugger up heads again.
Normous

Post by Normous »

flightattendant100 wrote:Clean and degrease the screws and their tapped counterparts and use 100% silicone caulk. It sets up and is rubber like,wont let the bolts vibrate out and is easy as pie to take back out. A win win deal.You will never bugger up heads again.
Bingo, good advice. The factory machining oil must go on fasteners.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

I called customer service and asked them about torque specs last week (yep, another engineer). There are no torque specs, I was told.

Which brings me to a question (not intending to thread-jack). I installed the limb on my exocet exactly as in the DVD, with zero space between the limb and the "barrel." Tightened it down HARD. After about 30 shots, it had slightly moved to where there was a small space there (a few thousandths). So with great effort I loosened the two bolts (yes, the washers are where they should be), moved it back down, and tightened it back down again.

Do others have the same experience?

Thanks
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

X2 on the silicone ! I use it on all even my arrow tips . best thing I ever used!
antler fool

Post by antler fool »

As far as that space between the riser and the rail I don't think you can stop it from happening. It's caused by the forward motion (momentum) of the string I only opens up about a 16th of a inch then that's it. Doesn't hurt anything.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

A small dab of blue is not the end of the world . I have put it on my riser and stirrup screws because it prevents the steel to aluminum problem with screws .
As for torque settings . Tight not johnson bar tight though . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Tight not johnson bar tight though
There's the words I was lookin for, lol.
"Eze 18:21"