Lost Another One

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

va3cgt

Lost Another One

Post by va3cgt »

I was out yesterday evening deer hunting. 10 minutes before the end of legal shooting hours, two does walk in. Luckily the night before I replaced my Excalibur Vari-zone with a Vortex Crossfire 3x32 illuminated scope and sighted it in. That lit red dot sure came in handy. Anyway, the doe was 45 yards and I took the shot from a rest. I knew it was a good shot because I heard a thump when the arrow hit the doe. She took off and I quickly checked the area for blood. No arrow or blood. So I backed out. I went back this morning to have another look and found blood. We followed the blood trail through a swamp which froze over. I wish I had higher boots. I ended up going for a swim up to the knees crossing the swamp. We had good blood sign for about 75-100 yards from where I had taken the shot. We found where the doe had bedded with a little blood then nothing. I can't figure that one out. How does a deer just stop bleeding? We found some foamy blood as well. We searched all day today, no deer.

I don't know if it's the broad heads I'm using or what. I'm still using the Excalibur Bolt Cutter 100 gn. I've lost three deer in the past six years with these heads.
So, I'm thinking of going to the Excalibur X-Act heads. What do you think?
Gwen's Dilemma

Re: Lost Another One

Post by Gwen's Dilemma »

I think you're shooting too far. I learned (the same way as this thread) 25 years ago to keep my shots within 25 yards. My carved tip exomag is too noisy for longer shots. They always react too fast for accurate shots at longer distances. Before I get ragged on I'm stating my opinion. I don't mean to offend.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Most likely you hit a little high. I shot two does this year and one arrow entered about two inches higher than the other . . .the lower hit went 20 yards and the higher one went almost 100 yards.

Most broadheads will kill the deer on a perfect hit. The reason I use the bigger cutting mechanicals is for their ability to drop a deer when I have a less than perfect hit.

Did you range the yardage or was it a guess? I never take that long of a shot without using a range finder . . .and even then, I doubt I would take that long of a shot that late in the day . . .things that normally show up in a scope do not show up when the light is failing. . .like small twigs.
Last edited by sumner4991 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Rage 3 blade 100gr head with a well placed shot puts them down for me in a hurry!

This guy only went 40 yards with the double lung shot & a huge blood trail.

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Peacemaker

Post by Peacemaker »

maybe someone else found her, finsihed her off, and took her home?
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

I have darn ner stepped on a deer looking for them,Sometimes they camo up prettty good and tuck the white under them making it hard to see them.
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Couple of things! You are shooting to far! Sounds like you didn't get a pass thru. You more than likely hit one lung and it's bleeding internally.
If you or something kicked her out of her bed; she ran until she died on her feet Bleeding all internal from a non pass through and a marginal hit, will not leave a a good blood trail
If the other three deer you lost were same distance ; you need to re-evaluate your hunting and shooting methods
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

DaGriz wrote:Couple of things! You are shooting to far! Sounds like you didn't get a pass thru. You more than likely hit one lung and it's bleeding internally.
If you or something kicked her out of her bed; she ran until she died on her feet Bleeding all internal from a non pass through and a marginal hit, will not leave a a good blood trail
If the other three deer you lost were same distance ; you need to re-evaluate your hunting and shooting methods
X2
frisky

Post by frisky »

You said
How does a deer just stop bleeding?

I have heard water will stop the bleeding, I don't know for sure. :( :(
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

limit your shooting distance 45 yards right before dark is not a shot i would take.
wabi

Post by wabi »

You heard the thump, but at that range the deer could have easily dropped several inches after hearing the sound of the shot.
Hopefully that was what happened.
A high hit will usually bleed a lot at first, but soon clot and then there's no more blood trail. If that was the case the deer has a good chance of survival.

I've learned to limit shots to 30 yards and under, and usually keep them much closer than 30 yards. Actually I've only tried 2 shots over 30 yards and am 0 for 2 as far as hits. Watched one arrow sail over the buck as he dropped, and watched the other arrow go under the doe as she stood there (used the wrong yardage mark :oops: ).
wabi
bdog

Post by bdog »

at this time of year(rut)a whitetails metabolism changes so blood will clot quicker for their own protection....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

sumner4991 wrote:Most likely you hit a little high. I shot two does this year and one arrow entered about two inches higher than the other . . .the lower hit went 20 yards and the higher one went almost 100 yards.

Most broadheads will kill the deer on a perfect hit. The reason I use the bigger cutting mechanicals is for their ability to drop a deer when I have a less than perfect hit.

Did you range the yardage or was it a guess? I never take that long of a shot without using a range finder . . .and even then, I doubt I would take that long of a shot that late in the day . . .things that normally show up in a scope do not show up when the light is failing. . .like small twigs.
x2
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

Thanks for the replies.
That's the longest shot I've ever taken. Checked it with my rangefinder. I figure I got a little impatient because I was losing light. I should have let her pass. All my shots in the past have been under 25 yards. I lost one shooting from the ground and this one and another have been lost shooting from a tree stand. Looks like I don't take into account the elevation change.
rayman

Post by rayman »

Hard to tell much about it without seeing the blood, smelling for a paunch hit, etc. Sounds like you looked hard enough.

If it was a good hit, it would not be the fault of the boltcutters. That's what I use. Sounds like a less than perfect hit.

Second what others have said. 45 yards is for those who practice far more than me. I try to limit shots to 20 yards. Not much more and not much less. I hate bloodtrailing bad hits.

Keep your head up and learn from the experience. Build confidence and know your limitations. Do that before changing broadheads. :)