American Archery Supply

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Long Trang

American Archery Supply

Post by Long Trang »

With a big bear hunt coming up, I decided to get back into the crossbow game 3 weeks ago. I checked all around for recent info, to see if there was much new to the Excal world. Seeing the Equinox and Twilight Scope was the best package available, I ordered the set from American Archery Supply.

The bow made it here within a few days and with the weather staying cold, it has sat in the box awaiting its christening. Lo and behold, I see a few days ago that there is a new big daddy to be on the block, the Matrix.

I contacted AAS and spoke with Russel. While his order page plainly states, no refunds after 14 days, he went further on the phone in saying "I dont do refunds." Odd considering the order page states otherwise. I also found the short snappy response uncalled for since I was polite to begin with.

At this point, I explained that I wasnt looking for a refund, only a possible exchange (with expected price difference) and reassured that the crossbow was still in the package, unfired and ordered just 3 weeks ago. Russel's response, "No, Im not doing that."

AAS's quick/short attitude with a customer who generously spent $1000 is a bit to be desired. This is just a FYI for you guys and his questionable return policy.
onebigskittle

Re: American Archery Supply

Post by onebigskittle »

Put yourself in Russels shoes for a sec...would you do that for everyone that bought something?...maybe he has been down that road and it hurt him in the end.
Long Trang

Post by Long Trang »

Ive been in the hunting-trading business a long time. Longer than his store has been around.

My questions are, why promote a return policy then turn around and say you do not do returns?

If I'm not wanting a return at all, why is an exchange or credit not even possible? Esp given the fact that I was willing to take a loss on a brand new product?

Ive never once spent that kind of money on a weapon, then be treated so rudely.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed May 08, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

American Archery has been around for a long time. It is also local for me. Or use to be. His archery shop was becoming second to his online sales and I believe online sales are all he does now. I have dealt with Russel. Purchased my Exocet from him. He has some of the best online prices around. His being so competitive in price might be why he is tight on his return policy. Its hard for someone to be profitable if taking returns for people simply changing their mind. You did mention his site said 14 day return policy and your purchase was 3 weeks prior.
Why ride when you can walk!
Long Trang

Post by Long Trang »

groundpounder wrote:American Archery has been around for a long time. It is also local for me. Or use to be. His archery shop was becoming second to his online sales and I believe online sales are all he does now. I have dealt with Russel. Purchased my Exocet from him. He has some of the best online prices around. His being so competitive in price might be why he is tight on his return policy. Its hard for someone to be profitable if taking returns for people simply changing their mind. You did mention his site said 14 day return policy and your purchase was 3 weeks prior.
And you would be correct. But when I spoke with him on the phone, he said he doesnt do returns at all. And the crass of tone was irritating.

He does have good prices though, but Ive never dealt with a sporting goods store that wouldnt even offer store credit for items still in the box....
yooper_man

Re:

Post by yooper_man »

I bought my 2012 Excalibur Equinox Shadow Zone lite stuff package from American Archery Supply, they were best NEW price I could find at the time and still get the Excalibur full 5 year warranty. I received 3 free extra firebolts, nice discount on the deluxe T-form padded case and I added 12 more firebolts shipped free with my purchase. Their Excalibur accessories are discounted and most are shipped for free. I spent over $1,200 and I am totally happy with the purchase.

I shot my first deer this year an adult white-tailed doe at 25 yards and the firebolt made a complete broadside pass-through and still buried the arrow 6 - 8 inches into the unfrozen ground. I used 150 grain boltcutter broadheads, so I am sure my setup would drive through a big bear with ease.

I can understand that Russell cannot accept returns or exchanges when a customer changed his or her mind or is over the agreed time. I can understand if there was an order error on his part he would most likely authorize a return/exchange. Plus as stated before you are over the 14 days, so this is probably the main reason Russell isn't authorizing a return/exchange.

I cannot speak for his tone of voice since I made my transaction on-line and never spoke with him, but there is always two sides of a story or conversation.

http://www.americanarcherysupply.com/info.html
WE DON NOT ACCEPT RETURNS WITHOUT A RETURN AUTHORIZATION NUMBER

You have an awesome Excalibur Equinox crossbow and I am guessing the NEW Excalibur Matrix isn't much of an improvement over it, but I am not sure.

yooper_man
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's