Wylie takes another whitetail from the ramp stand ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Wylie takes another whitetail from the ramp stand ...

Post by R.J. »

Hello all > are you ready for Christmas Holidays !

Some of you may remember a thread I posted last season ... " If you build it , they will come "

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hilit=ramp

Here is a file photo ( view from "deer trail" to "ramp stand ")

Well Wylie , put some long hours again this season and took a beauty "smoothhead" this morning !

8:05 am , I get a phone call , and in an excited wisper , I hear " Rick , I just arrowed a doe "

8:20am .. Wylie's truck rolls up to my back door . He tells me the story > Seemed like a text book 20 yard shot , behind the shoulder , Excalibur Vortex , Boo custom string , Big John arrow with a 150 Gr boltcutter broadhead on board . Doe went down hard when her legs got knocked out from under her , but she got back up and ran into the bush > slowing down after 20 yards , then walking out of sight .

8:30am .. Decide best to go for breakfast and let her lay .

9:30am .. Back to shot site . Only cut white hairs to show impact area .... no blood spray ?

9:35am .. I find the arrow , only light trace of blood with fatty residue along arrow and over fletchings ... this is not looking good .

9:45am .. From the "standview" vantage point , Wylie guides me to the direction the deer ran after the shot ... I find minor blood in a hoof print approx 80 yards into the track , and I bump bedded deer ! :shock: ( couldn't believe they stayed bedded after all the talking we were doing back and forth from the stand ?

10:00am .. We back out to let things settle down ... Wylie wants to wheelchair dredge through the bush to keep searching , but I tell him , from my past experience it looks like it may be low thru brisket which would explain the the impact hit ( loud smack and knocking the legs out from under ) , the fatty residue and absence of blood on the arrow ... we would only chance bumping it again . Best to back out .

I head home for a nap before an afternoon search and Wylie reluctantly heads home to meet visting relatives ... I told him , don't sweat it > I will search again after lunch and if that doesn't pan out , I'll call Pyd , his son " Hunter " and Pyd's " blood hound in training " for round three of the search .

12:00pm .. I pick up the trail again , but only tiny drops here and there .

1:00pm .. I've lost the trail so I keep zig zagging thru the bush on a kinda grid search ( best grid I could do with the tangled terrian ) ( or maybe I'm a little lost ! )

2:00pm .. I'm just about to give up ... I'm digging my BlackBerry out to call in reinforcements , when I look ahead and there she is ... stone dead just past two fresh rub tree's !

2:05pm .. I call Wylie and give him the good news ! He says he's on his way , but I tell him don't sweat it , I've got trails cut to the back and I can drag her close to a pick-up point with my Kabota .

An easy roll into the bucket and I'm on my way ..

Dragged / tagged / transported / field dressed and hung , with pleanty of time time to take my wife shopping ... It's approx 3:45pm now .

For those that are interested in why so long a recovery distance > The shot looked almost perfect on the entry side ( just behind the shoulder )( maybe a tad low ), but because of the steep angle , the exit was low ( about 1 inch above the opposite side brisket ) ... the arrow came in behind/under the lungs but one blade did cut the tip of the heart > when I field dressed her she was full bled out ... she managed to run approx 500 yards in a circle but couldn't survive the 150 gr bolt cutter blade cut at the bottom of the heart !

Still ... a good end to an exciting hunt ! ... Congrat's Wylie !

Good luck to all that venture out during the holidays > Safe hunting > Merry Chrsitmas and Happy New Years as well ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Fletch2

Re: Wylie takes another whitetail from the ramp stand ...

Post by Fletch2 »

Way to go! Thats quite a recovery vehicle,great ending :D
2012 vortex
vixenmaster string
wabi

Post by wabi »

Congratulations to Wylie, and congratulations to you on a great job of trailing and recovery!!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
roly

Post by roly »

Congratulations on a great deer

good story and excellant recovery
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Congrats Wylie on yer nice deer & great recovery
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Way to go! Great story and pics. It sure will be a Merry Christmas at your house. :D
frisky

Post by frisky »

Congrats to Wylie, on his doe. Congrats to R.J. for a good job of trailing the deer. :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

:D great job!!!! that is one great stand!!!! that took alot of work and thought, just great!!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
leep53

Post by leep53 »

congrats, great job,hope whatever rubbed those trees shows up for y,all as well!
maple

Post by maple »

Congratulations on the doe Wylie, and fine recovery RJ!!

That ramp-hunting setup is a great gift for all involved. Well done guys!! Good teamwork.
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

I'm glad you didn't give up on her and I Know Wylie is glad he has friends like you to help him out. Congrats Wylie on a nice doe.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

Are you going to get this story in a mag.?
What a wonderful story.
Congrats. to all involved, owner, builders and recovery team.
Wylie can be proud.
mark 10 :13
Big John

Post by Big John »

CONGRATS Big Wylie!!!!!!
That should make a very Happy, tasty Christmas.
She looks like a good size Doe too. 8)

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on your early Christmas present. All the best toward the next one.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats on the doe!! Great story
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen