Phoenix Fun at 80 yards

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

Phoenix Fun at 80 yards

Post by taz3 »

I'm impressed, after reading the other thread about shooting at 100 yds, from Woodspike,I just had to take the Phoenix out to see what it can do. Keep in mind I didn't set my scope, I was free standing and winging it for the most part. The penetration was surprisingly deep and trajectory rather straight at impact too. I was not overly concerned with placement, I just wanted to keep them apart, so I didn't hit the arrows with other arrows, being the scope wasn't tuned for long distance.

2012 Phoenix
New Flemish string, chrono'd at 296 fps
DB bars
S5 silencers
Factory fletched Firebolts with original field points

First 3 are at 30,50,60 the depth of the arrow will tell the respective distance.
Here's a pic 70 yds over my shoulder toward the target.
.... And the last 3 one at 70 and 2 at 80, first one at 80 is in the snow like I mentioned I was just adjusting with the scope not set for this distance. The arrows hit very straight and deeper then I expected too.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
pinshooter

Re: Phoenix Fun at 80 yards

Post by pinshooter »

nice shooting!
John 3:16
Camo Matrix 380
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Nice shootin' there. That looks like alot of fun. I'd hate to miss and bury one of those arrows in the snow. :shock:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Great shooting ... thanks for sharing.
Yuke

Post by Yuke »

Nice! Great to see that. I have not shot mine over 30 yds yet. I do LOVE my Phoenix. It's a keeper. :D
Phoenix
TruGlo Dual Color 4 Dot Sight
FireBolt Carbons/Lumenocks
Magnum Slick Trick 150's
S5's
FF String
taz3

Post by taz3 »

It's great where I live, I have about 35 yards across my backyard and a farmers field right behind me, so I can safely shoot longer distances. Seems at 40 yards they remain fairly flat, at 50 I start seeing them begin to arch. The first one I shot at 80 fell short, but I seen the snow fluff up and heard the impact of the target. Man that was a relief, I wasn't looking forward to digging through 8" of snow to find it. :roll:

Depending on the flight of the bolt, you can just see it in flight and impact the target. The Flemish string shoots much different to the original Excel string, but I'm not sure how to describe it. They're worth about 10 fps faster and the impact at the target is louder too.

As for the new S5, it helps change the thwack sound of the string to more of just a wack sound and reduces the vibration significantly. I think their best feature will be insurance for a dry fire though.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting