Time to try a new Shotgun

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

UPSMAN

Time to try a new Shotgun

Post by UPSMAN »

Had a chance to do a little duck hunting yesterday. It took me 2 1/2 boxes of shells to kill 5 ducks. I should have killed at least 3 times that many. Felt like I couldn't have hit a Bull in the ass with a snow shovel. The birds were all over me. BANG-BANG-BANG and the birds would just laugh at me and fly away. Been using my Franchi I-12 that is set up for Turkey hunting. It's the only 3 in chambered gun that I have. I think the fiber optic rifle sights kind of hinder my pass shooting abilities. I went to Bass Pro and got me some 2 3/4 in shells and I am going to take my old Remington 1100 and see if my shooting improves. Guess I will find out tomorrow. Will be on the water when the sun comes up. :? :? :?
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
TPM

Re: Time to try a new Shotgun

Post by TPM »

Ditto on the fiber optic sights. They're going to cause you "aim" your shotgun not "point" it. Don't forget to follow through on your swing. It's a common mistake to stop the swing when you pull the trigger and that will cause you to shoot behind every time. As for shells, if you're just shooting ducks then 2 3/4" should be fine just make sure you're using high velocity shells. Also nothing tighter than a modified choke is needed if you keep your shots within 30-35 yards.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

TPM wrote:Ditto on the fiber optic sights. They're going to cause you "aim" your shotgun not "point" it. Don't forget to follow through on your swing. It's a common mistake to stop the swing when you pull the trigger and that will cause you to shoot behind every time. As for shells, if you're just shooting ducks then 2 3/4" should be fine just make sure you're using high velocity shells. Also nothing tighter than a modified choke is needed if you keep your shots within 30-35 yards.
TPM,
What really sucks is that in my younger years, I was a very good dove hunter. I hunted every weekend and shot frequently. I once killed 75 birds with 4 boxes of shells. (That was in my outlaw youth days :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Zombie Slayers
Boo String
Boo

Post by Boo »

Like Tim said but you don't need a front sight or bead. You need to either train youself to mount the gun correctly or have the stock modified so that it mounts correctly. Having the gun mount correctly is 90% of hitting the bird. Remember with shotguns you are looking at the bird and should be barely aware that the gun is between you and the bird. Concentration should be 99% on the bird. Once concentration is broken all is lost.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

as an old trapshooter would say keep your head down on the stock an eyes on the target an follow thru!!!!!! a lot of times shooters will push the gun away with the forend hand and I learned long ago coming from a family of trapshooters to move your body to move the gun and stay locked in on the gun. practice on the wall moving your gun and see how moving your body to move the gun works.
Last edited by Masboy on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Hope your dilemma works itself out soon enough. I tried trap shooting this year for the first time. Took a good long while to get past aiming to pointing. If you need an excuse to purchase a new shotgun ... you seem to be on your way. :lol:

All the best.
*KATO*

Post by *KATO* »

I started trap shooting with my Rem 870 and did well my first time out. When I concentrated on the target and not mounting the gun I had the best success. But you have tonnes more shooting experience on me (and using a semi) so there is that to consider as well :)
catcher

Post by catcher »

What kinda ducks ya shootin ?
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

catcher wrote:What kinda ducks ya shootin ?
Ringnecks mostly and some blue bills.
Zombie Slayers
Boo String