How Long Do They Last?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rej

How Long Do They Last?

Post by rej »

Putting aside the new Matrix bows, how many shots can a set of limbs be expected to give, practically speaking. I know there are a lot of variables like draw weight, maintenance, accidents, etc. I have < > 2000 on my Vortex in temps from +33C to -28C and they still check out. The only time it is unstrung is for transport. I remove the riser and use a double rifle case.
Tom

Re: How Long Do They Last?

Post by Tom »

If you do not abuse your bow, it would probually outlast you. By abuse I mean dryfire, leaving it strung in a hot area (real hot like inside a closed car on a hot day), dropping it on limbs. Yes these bows can handle dryfires, drops from trees, even run over by a van (just ask Vixchix :oops: ) but the more these things happen, the closer your bow limbs will come to the failure point.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thru the summer and fall I attend 3d shoots nearly every weekend plus practice . Have shot thousands of arrows thru my excaliburs still going strong . Dry firing , heat , dropping from height on the limb could / would cause a failure . The limbs on my Excals will probably outlast me !
rej

Post by rej »

Thanks for the replies. I am careful about heat and give the vortex the same respect my rifles get. I was thinking I would get a Matrix 380 when I shot the vortex out but it seems that would be sometime in the next life so I best get out and order one.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I think it was a bit of a mistake for Excalibur to say the new limbs have a longer life than the current ones. It creates a bit of shadow in the minds of people on the fence about the bows.
The term "lasts longer" implies the others don't last, which we all know isn't true.
I have a test arrow that I use to run over my chrony to keep track of my limbs and bow, and after all the things the poor bow has gone through (dryfires, excessive heat, dropped, dragged..) it still runs that arrow over the chrony at 301FPS, just like the day I bought it.
I don't anticipate that is going to change any time soon either.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Even though my bow has only been in use for a few months, I have no doubt that (taken care of) it will outlast me.

As a point of reference, I have a '57 Bear Kodiak (Wood/Glass Recurve) that was handed down to me by my Grandfather... I checked the draw-weight last spring, and it hasn't lost a pound.

A lot of worrying for nothing me thinks. :)
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Lifetime bows
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-