matrix 380 arrows not recommended to take 20"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ngamokai

matrix 380 arrows not recommended to take 20"

Post by ngamokai »

Hi all, I have been looking into buying the Matrix 380 however the deciding factor for me NOT getting one is this, the Matrix will not take 20" arrows. here is the quote I received via email from Excalibur:
"No, sorry, it will stick out past the riser and not release properly."
Peter Balfour
Communication Manager
EXCALIBUR CROSSBOW CANADA INC.
so if that is the case and the supply of 18" arrows is, lets be honest, really hard to find then really whats the point?
Does anyone who now owns a matrix 380 use 20" arrows? and if so why would Excalibur say you should not use them and the release is not good if they are working ok? I am a little disappointed by this. 20" arrows are a legal requirement in my country.
Dream as if you'll live for ever, Live as if you'll die today!
http://www.bowandfishnz.com
KATIPO matrix 380 blackout
seporith

Re: matrix 380 arrows not recommended to take 20"

Post by seporith »

I shot mine today and she shot very very well with Firebolts and Accuspine arrows both at 20". I did not use the Diablo arrows at all but if they shot any better they would almost all be robinhoods at 30 yards. I used the Shadow-zone scope off my Equinox and that was the only thing different and should not affect the flight. Anthony
Last edited by seporith on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seporith

Post by seporith »

[quote]Re: Matrix
by Excalibur Marketing Dude » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:03 am

Glad to hear most like our new models. We have been working on this new concept for quite a while and have been very excited with the performance. Here are a few answers to some of the questions posted:

At the moment these crossbow models will be sold in kit form only.
The 18" arrows is recommended due to the short mainframes but you can use 20" if desired.
Our existing limbs are already bullet-proof however, through multiple dry-fire testing the new limbs did even better if you can believe it!
The anti-dry-fire unit is called the guardian and is available as an accessory, it will fit every crossbow model we have ever made!
These new bows are small, when you place one beside any of our classic models the difference is huge.

Many dealers have these new crossbows already although they are barely getting out of the boxes before they're sold. You really need to get one of these bad-boys in your hands to appreciate them. I hope I helped with some of the questions.

Peter

Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

ngamokai

Post by ngamokai »

Hmmmm its a strange comment from Excalibur then. also a post here states that Bill T said you could use 20s so why the conflicting stories coming from Excalibur? is it a marketing ploy for the 18s or is there good reason for the comment ? I thought perhaps its to do with the speed claims more than anything, be interesting to get some speed results from the 20s, here In New Zealand bow hunting is big and we have awesome hunting grounds, private and public, the law states that when hunting with a crossbow the min arrow length is 20" so if Excalibur says you can't use em they will loose a lot of sales here, not that there is a supplier here, all the people I know buy theres Via the USA on line, but all ive spoken with here are steering away from the new range because of this fact, info, info, info.... be good to hear from others firing there 380s with 20s cheers all :)
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Bill T made a post on the 20" arrows, basically, good to go................
"Eze 18:21"
secret

Post by secret »

Then dont buy a Matrix get a Ecomax/Exomax then its only 30fps.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
ngamokai

Post by ngamokai »

secret wrote:Then dont buy a Matrix get a Ecomax/Exomax then its only 30fps.
its not about the speed, its about the size, the scrub in NZ can be hardcore, and the size appeals, so the whole "don't buy one then" is not the answer i'm looking for, what I am doing here is gathering information to make an educated decision based on current 380 owners experiences using this unit with the 20s. make sense ?
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

ngamokai wrote:
secret wrote:Then dont buy a Matrix get a Ecomax/Exomax then its only 30fps.
its not about the speed, its about the size, the scrub in NZ can be hardcore, and the size appeals, so the whole "don't buy one then" is not the answer i'm looking for, what I am doing here is gathering information to make an educated decision from people who are actively using this unit with the 20s. make sense ?
The size of the bow is appealing to many of us.
The only real issue I see using 20" arrows is that they may extend out past the stirrup.
If that indeed is the case then heavy cover would knock the arrow off the bow.
Just something to consider.
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

I talked to mr miller in the us , and he said its fine to shoot 20 in bolts In matrix
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
secret

Post by secret »

Wow! ..... There some states here in the USA that wont let crossbows at all. The Matrix is not that much smaller than a standard Excalibur , So maybee you should start a campaign to change
the rule in your country. When people on this forum need help in there state most people here help!!
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
ngamokai

Post by ngamokai »

secret wrote:Wow! ..... There some states here in the USA that wont let crossbows at all. The Matrix is not that much smaller than a standard Excalibur , So maybee you should start a campaign to change
the rule in your country. When people on this forum need help in there state most people here help!!
I wish mate, I'm sure all governments are the same anywhere, they have a we are right mentality as a rule, the other thing is the bow is 6" narrower than the equinox which is quite a lot when you think about it, there are other brands with high performance that I can buy here that have a very narrow profile but are compound, I however like the Excalibur bows, if the 18s were an easy arrow to obtain then id for sure go for it because the reality is you never get checked but having said this I like to live within the law.
secret

Post by secret »

Check this out

Code: Select all

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46159
Exocet 200
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
ngamokai

Post by ngamokai »

this whole arrow length is now the deciding factor for me, because the 18" arrows are just too hard to find ATM, shame but ill be going for a different unit. I have been talking with other bow hunters today and they all agree it is not a viable option yet.
Boo

Post by Boo »

What is wrong with an arrow saw?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Woodspike

Post by Woodspike »

Boo wrote:What is wrong with an arrow saw?
X2!

I use a dremel tool to cut my bolts, and an ASD to square 'em.
I don't see any reason why bolt length should affect your decision to buy a Matrix...