New to Crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BowmanPa

New to Crossbows

Post by BowmanPa »

Hi,
I am new to Crossbows and have been interested in them for a long time. Since here in Pennsylvania we are now aloud to use them I am interested in getting one. I have read allot about the Excalibur Crossbows and I like them due to not having allot of stuff to go wrong like on a compound crossbow.

My question is I like to hunt for a Treestand and would like a Crossbow that will work out of a stand. I really like the looks of the New Matrix but I cannot see me spending $1100+ on my first Crossbow.

What is some ideas on which bow would work for me.

Thank You,
BowmanPa
BowmanPa
maine hunter

Re: New to Crossbows

Post by maine hunter »

:D welcome!! they are all great bows. the best thing is to go to a store and shoot a few and see what fit's you the best. some have a traditional stock, and some have the thumb-hole stock. i have one of each,axiom,and the vortex. the axiom is a real good bow,175lb and comes with the whole package. the ibex is the same way,just in a thumb-hole stock. let us know what you pick,good luck.
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Welcome Bowman, I have hunted out of tree stands with all the Excalibur crossbows (except the Matrix) since 1992. They all perform very well from elevated stands.
I suggest watching the trading post area for some used Excaliburs in your price range. I would not hesitate buying a used one here. You can't go wrong with any of them.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Deerstalker

Post by Deerstalker »

I have used the Equinox from a 2 man tree stand where I can cock & de-cock from the stand. The shooting rail on the stand is great to steady the CB for your shot. I would check on Ebay for a Vortex or Axiom which are great CBs. I believe that you will like any Excal that you choose and all of them are powerful enough to kill any NA animal. :D :D
Semper Fi

2012 Equinox
Firebolts & BEEs w Boltcutter & Slick Trick BHs 150gr
S-5 & Boo string, TT trigger, Nikon Bolt Xr scope
2012 Vortex w/S5 & Nikon Bolt Xr (son # 1)
2012 Axiom SMF w/S5 (son # 2)
BowmanPa

Post by BowmanPa »

Thank you for your replies. I have been looking on Craigslist and found a couple on there. 1 is an Axiom for $400 but not sure on composit rail. I think I would like the thumb hole stock.

What is a good price for a crossbow but I guess it all depends on what crossbow it was.
BowmanPa
BowmanPa

Post by BowmanPa »

enormous wrote:Welcome Bowman, I have hunted out of tree stands with all the Excalibur crossbows (except the Matrix) since 1992. They all perform very well from elevated stands.
I suggest watching the trading post area for some used Excaliburs in your price range. I would not hesitate buying a used one here. You can't go wrong with any of them.

What did you mean by trading post area?
BowmanPa
BowmanPa

Post by BowmanPa »

BowmanPa wrote:
enormous wrote:Welcome Bowman, I have hunted out of tree stands with all the Excalibur crossbows (except the Matrix) since 1992. They all perform very well from elevated stands.

What did you mean by trading post area?
I figured it out. :oops:
BowmanPa
secret

Post by secret »

Welcome fellow Pennsylvanian! Your in good company here! Every deer but 1 i shot out of my climbing stand if that helps.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
cspot

Post by cspot »

Welcome from another Pennsylvanian!! My son and I used the Vortex this year and took 4 deer out of ladderstands and 1 out of a blind. We also got one turkey out of the treestand. We had no issues at all other than skinning and butchering alot of deer. I hope that helps. That being said I am planning on buying a Matrix because of the narrower width, shorter length, and less weight. I will be keeping the Vortex because I like it that much.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

BowmanPa wrote:Hi,
I am new to Crossbows and have been interested in them for a long time. Since here in Pennsylvania we are now aloud to use them I am interested in getting one. I have read allot about the Excalibur Crossbows and I like them due to not having allot of stuff to go wrong like on a compound crossbow.

My question is I like to hunt for a Treestand and would like a Crossbow that will work out of a stand. I really like the looks of the New Matrix but I cannot see me spending $1100+ on my first Crossbow.

What is some ideas on which bow would work for me.

Thank You,
BowmanPa
These crossbows work great anywhere, tree stand, blind etc. Just find one that fits you and your wallet. I bought my Equinox a couple years back and it was the top of the line. The new Matrix is out and though its nice new and shiny and I could afford to buy one,my Equinox has many many years of life left, it'll probably out due me. Their warranty is second to none and that is on ALL models. Just go to a local store that stocks them and see what fits you best.
Okiedeerhunter

Post by Okiedeerhunter »

I just thought I would throw in my two cents. I have been using the Exocet since 20007. I killed 3 deer with it this year and all were shot from ladder stands. Excalibur is second to none in my opinion. I just swayed my cousin into buying one and he loves his. In fact I am probably going to sell Exocet after season ends here in Oklahoma. The only reason for selling is to buy a matrix.
diesel

Post by diesel »

Good to see you post Emmett . Here is another great guy sure glad to call him friend.
BowmanPa

Post by BowmanPa »

diesel wrote:Good to see you post Emmett . Here is another great guy sure glad to call him friend.
Thanks Diesel. Cannot wait to buy my first Crossbow.
BowmanPa
secret

Post by secret »

Theres some great deals on the trading page
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Any Excal will work just fine from a tree stand. Welcome to the forum. Good luck choosing a bow. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads