Short arrows in a vixen

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Masboy

Short arrows in a vixen

Post by Masboy »

I hunt with a vixen with no stirup and starter cord on the front and have over three inches out over the front . I plan on shorting my arrows and wondering if I could cut them off to about 15 1/2 without any problems .looks like no problem with broadhead clearance and weight will still be around 400gr with my light arrows. if no problem I,ll cut some an test for accuracy.getting tired of having 3 inches hanging over the front. an could make two arrows from one shaft and be stiff. the shorter the better if they still shoot good I guess.
hikerman

Re: Short arrows in a vixen

Post by hikerman »

How do cock your bow? As long as you don't go below the minimum weight, give it a shot. :D
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

i just have the cord in each hole where the S5 would go with a knot in it an a loop that hangs down an works like stirup but hangs down out of the way. I love it an it makes the bow alot shorter for hunting out of my stands.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Im not sure about 15-1/2"in. arrows, but, I've made many 17" and 18" in. arrows for Vixen shooters at the 3D tournaments. Watching them in action I would say they shot excellent. They were also made to bare 325 gr. min. for optimum speed from the Bow.

Big John

"My mistake, they were 327 gr. except for Vixchix' Vixen arrows, hers were 350 and change." :wink:
Probably should have looked in my book before posting on grain weight. Make so many it's hard to remember without looking up sometimes. :roll:
Last edited by Big John on Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

no more arrows sticking out past the front of my vixen . I cut off one of my good 2114 with a brass insert 110gr that weighed 470gr with a 125 tip . I cut it to 16 inches and now weighs 430 gr. then shot it at 30 yds in the wind that was blowing this morning and deadly accurate sitting on my rear resting my elbow on my knee. only shot four shots and all dead in line same as my 522 gr hunting arrows only a few inches high an the group was around 1 inch . I did see a little bit of fishtail but thats normal in this wind. so with a 100gr tip would be 405gr. only thing they burried the fletching in a spot on my sons block target that had not been shot.can,t wait to get my rag bag bact together for some more shooting.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed May 08, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Years ago I shortened a couple damaged arrows to 16".
No problems out of the Vixen.
wabi
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I don,t plan on cutting down any arrows for our Knox or vortex just my sweet little vixen that has no metal stirup on the front and short for my tree stand hunting. it,s problaly the closest I will ever get to a matrix ! I will just have to make do but that,s ok with me!!!!! unless I could sweet talk the wife a bunch! but don,t think that,s going to happen !!!!!
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

made a batch of 16 inch arrows from 2114 with 110 gr brass inserts and blazers set to the rear an 125 tips at a weight of 430 gr. an shot them this morning without wind an no fishtailing an deadly accurate from my vixen . no more long arrows for me . shot out to 40yds an could tell no differene in accuracy from the long arrows ,just a height Change an dead in line.sighted in an ready for hunting!