Best Sling For Excalibur Wolverine

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

maple leaf

Best Sling For Excalibur Wolverine

Post by maple leaf »

Last week I purchased my first crossbow, an Excalibur Wolverine with a 175lb draw. I want to get into hunting, so this will fit the bill very well.

The only downside is that there is no sling. So my question is, what does everyone suggest I use for my sling? Also, there are no sling mounts on my unit, any advice for how to do this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
wheelie

Re: Best Sling For Excalibur Wolverine

Post by wheelie »

Go to your local gun supply store and as him for them Then the excalibur slings will fit. Just drill a pilot hole in front and back and screw them in. Just like the modern rifles sling mounts. Forget what they call them but the gun store will know. Thats what I did for my wolverine.

Taked to Bill T at great lenght about wolverines and they only did a couple test wolverines at 175 pound. All that were sold were 150 pounds. So I highly doubt yours is a 175 pound.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I really like the Claw rubberized sling. Small and unobtrusive yet slicks well to the shoulder. Uncle Mikes sling studs and QR sling loops
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
maple leaf

Post by maple leaf »

wheelie,
Thanks for the response. As for my wolverine being a 175lb draw, that's what the gun shop owner told me. Is there some other way to verify if he lied to me about that (such as a serial number or something)?

Thanks
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

No not really other than messuring the rail and matching the measurement with someone elses. Thought mine was a 175 at one time also. They do shoot a little faster than the 2008's and newer 150 bows. Carved tip limbs are faster than moulded. Many will disagree with me but I have both kinda limbs for mine. Wolverines rails were all cut by hand so some are a touch faster than others but not 175's as we know them today. Not a stock wolverine unless someone changed the riser but I highly doubt that.
maple leaf

Post by maple leaf »

Thanks for the sling response and for the details on the wolverine! Is my wolverine safe to hunt moose?
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

oh yes they are gr8 bows and take any kinda game. :D :D
maple leaf

Post by maple leaf »

Well I wanted to update everyone on what I ended up doing for a sling set-up on my bow. I purchased a Quake Industries The Claw (black) and Uncle Mike's Quick Detachable Super Swivels with anchor screws. It turns our that the claw sling comes with swivels, so I used one screw from my purchase of the Uncle Mike's product.

The same day I received my package, I came across The Xbow Buddy sling system online. I really liked it, and felt bad on buying the sling I did - until I went to the Toronto Sportsman Show!

As a side note about the sportsman show, I found that the people at the Excalibur booth were less than eager to help me with my questions about their crossbows. I also was shocked that they had tons of Excalibur products, but NONE FOR SALE (as they had all that product for show and not sale.)! I was told to go to the Shooter's Choice booth if I wanted some of my questions answered and some of the products I was interested in. Which begs my to question WHY WERE THEY EVEN AT THE SHOW? The only good thing about the Excalibur booth from my experience was being able to hold the new Matrix series bows ( :mrgreen: drool).

So I went over to the Shooters Choice booth. BTW, I highly recommend this company, great prices and service. I had all my questions answered and I was even talked out of buying $40 worth of product because the sales guy said I wouldn't need it! That to me is great customer service (trying to save me money on needless purchases). So I invested that saved cash into firebolts they had for sale at a discount :D ). I ended up spending about $90 that day with them because of their prices and service. At their booth I came across something similar to the xbow buddy sling. It is called the Allen Crossbow Sling (product #6011). I got it on sale for $10 (tax in). These slings allow the user to carry their bow hands free and also ready to fire at a moments notice. I liken it to a tactical sling for crossbows. Here is a link to one on ebay for sale (lots of pictures): http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALLEN-CROSSBOW- ... 0931131853

Once home, I installed it on my bow. The Allen sling has two main portions, the front section that mounts onto my metal foot portion of the bow (with a break down rigid pole and the remaining sling material. I took off the remainder of the sling and attached my Claw sling. Now I have the best of both worlds. If I knew how to post pictures, I would. It's quite the nice setup and adjustable depending on what type of clothing I am wearing.

Thanks again for all the responses and I hope my response help someone too.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Cool Glad you got it sorted out. Here is my wolverine. Built to handle any string now with the new limbs. Got a groove filed for a rope cocker and special adapters and a Munch mount. I did send it in to Excalibur to get the trigger checked over since it is an old bow. Something maybe you should do as a precausion. Things can wear out after 20 some years of hard shooting and you don't really know how much shooting it has had in the past. That was my thinking anyways. I would rather be safe than sorry. Excalibur will do you good. As for gun show they were likely busy and had alot on there minds as they are ussually not like that. Guess it depends who was working the booth. Don't let that bother you, as you will find they are gr8 people to deal with.
Maybe Doemaster can chime in on opinion of getting trigger checked. I think he knows or has owned some of these bows in the past. His opinion would be valued.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Well I see Wheelie can`t sleep neither . :shock:
Yes there was a 175 pound version . It was a long deck Relayer that was converted to the newer riser system instead of the single Daco limb . Any of the ones I`ve saw are a clear coat finish instead of camo .
It is also a good idea to send it in if the trigger is giving you problems .
Unfortunately I am no longer the warranty person . But I do know the parts will eventually become unobtainable .
As for the Excalibur booth not selling . We are not allowed to sell as a manufacturer . It would be like Chevrolet selling direct to all consumers . The dealers would not carry your product then .
Thanks Kevin for bringing this post to my attention . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Doe Master wrote:Well I see Wheelie can`t sleep neither . :shock:
I see alot of first periods of hockey games :lol: :lol: :lol:
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

That is not good if you are the goalie . :shock: :lol:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Doe Master wrote:That is not good if you are the goalie . :shock: :lol:
Maybe thats why my team don't allow me to take out a beach towel. Looks to much like a blanket! :lol:
shooter00

Post by shooter00 »

Got a couple questions Maple Leaf,
Does the Allen sling have the stiff insert for the front part of the strap like the X-bow buddy ?
And have you compared the two for quality differences ?
That's a good price difference between the two....
Thanks