hunting light advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IH8ATTN

hunting light advice

Post by IH8ATTN »

Hey just wondering what people are using or recommending for a light going in and out of the bush during hunting and locating. I've been using a mag light but its just to heavy and bulky. I 'm looking for something like an LED, maybe something I can put on my head and is rechargeable instead of putting in batteries all the time. Thanks in advance
Boo

Re: hunting light advice

Post by Boo »

This is the best one I've used so far. Check out the specs. I usually carry 2 head lamps, one for back up. They are certainly cheap enough.

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCam ... adlamp.jsp
Some people just like stepping on rakes
taz3

Post by taz3 »

^^These Light s are great, I use one camping and portaging, they are an excellent hands free way to navigate in the dark. :wink:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

I use thin long LED lights with AAA or AAAA batteries. I fashion a cord and wear these flashlights around my neck under my shirt. When I need it I have it readily available. I also wear a compass the same way.

Fran
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Spypoint gave me a ball cap with some LED lights in it which works great when its not cold out, when its cold i have a regular LED flashlight and a LED headlamp in case i need to track a shot deer in the dark.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I use a Zebra light, best headlight I could find.
Goes to just a couple lumens for reading in a tent or a blind and will run at that brightness for about 280 hours, never dims.
On high, it will do a few hundred lumens of very floody light, I have navigated my canoe in the pitch dark through rapids with that light on, You see everything! It will run at that brightness for a couple hours, never dimming.
Lots of levels in between too, I typically use about 60 lumens, plenty of light to wander the woods with extreme visability (even on a bike), and will run full brightness for about 20 hours on that setting.
Light runs off 18650 batteries (one), Lithium Ion. Rechargable, They are the cells that all my high end lights use, so I always have spares. Charges fast, huge shelf life and doesn't care about temperature.
There are newer models available (over 600 lumens), but this one has stood the test of time for me, so Im not swapping it out any time soon.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

Thanks everyone ill be looking into these
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I use a Petzl headlamp, don't remember which model. It's small and light weight and it's plenty bright for findind tiny blood drops in the dark. It also has a low white setting and a hi and low red setting and will blink/flash in white or red. Runs on 2 AAA batteries that will last quite a long time under normal use.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

Here are two different headlamps and one handheld flashlight that I have had great results using. The top two can use either AAA batteries or can use the rechargeable 18650 size batteries. The bottom one uses AAA's only.

These are made in China, although the quality and durability of all the ones that I have tried so far have worked very well for me.

1200Lm Cree XM-L T6 LED 3-Mode Headlight 18650/ 3x AAA Head Lamp $20
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120941283743?ss ... 1423.l2649

New 1600 Lumen Zoomable CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch 12W Lamp Light Black $11
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-1600LM-Zoom ... 337caa1af5

CREE Q5 LED Zoom Flashlight Headlight Headlamp 220 Lm $9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-Q5-LED-Zoo ... 2a1f0b40ad
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

Ended up going with this one and just bought another stand alone (just the flashlight) unit for the truck. I must say for such a compact light its sure bright. I was at the sportsman show in Toronto and there were 3 booths in the hunting hall selling the same style for like 100+...for this price I am happy and they do the same thing. I'm exited now that I don't have to carry my 3 D cell Maglite with me when I am going in and out the forest when its dark.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Zoomable-Ul ... 5aec6164c5
Snowywolf822

Post by Snowywolf822 »

What I did was I mounted a surefire g2 on my crossbow :) I figure hey my crossbow is more reliable then anything I own so I might as well put the best on it.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Ultrafire is a fine choice.
I have piles of Surefires, down to only a couple that actually work. It's too bad the company can't keep up with the technology of todays LED market, they make solid lights with a good warranty.
All my Surefires are on my bench ready to be photographed and put on CPF in "as is" condition, just have never been able to trust them.
Become a big fan of Fenix, cheap enough, stay cutting edge with technology and I have never had one fail.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I use Streamlight MicroStream flashlight. Up to 683 candela peak beam intensity, 28 lumens typical, 2.25 hours runtime all on one "AAA" alkaline battery. Comes with High Strength "Break Away" safety lanyard. Unbreakable pocket clip that clips too your hat or pocket. I bought one for my daughter too, it hangs around your neck and at the ready when you need it fast.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
Tanham

Post by Tanham »

yooper_man wrote:I use Streamlight MicroStream flashlight. Up to 683 candela peak beam intensity, 28 lumens typical, 2.25 hours runtime all on one "AAA" alkaline battery. Comes with High Strength "Break Away" safety lanyard. Unbreakable pocket clip that clips too your hat or pocket. I bought one for my daughter too, it hangs around your neck and at the ready when you need it fast.

Andrew
These Streamlight flashlights are very good to use. I've a sample of it. The power of it's battery is really amazing and appreciable :-D
Last edited by Tanham on Fri May 17, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.