Grinder Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Grinder Question

Post by IronNoggin »

We've been using one of Cabelas' meat grinders for a few years now. It finally calved (after God Only Knows how many critters it ran through!). Damn Good Thing my Buddy had one we could borrow (same model) to keep on trucking with this year's sausage runs! With 250 pounds done, we're only now approaching the 1/2 way mark...

My neighbor is wandering stateside in a couple of days, and has offered to pick up a new grinder for us while down there (obviously NO One goes near a Cabelas without wandering in... LOL! ).

Had a look online, and kind of like what i see in this 500 watt unit: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 387522.uts?

Looks like it can probably handle what we deal with, has pretty decent reviews, and that price is hard to argue with.

Kind of a reach I guess, but we're wondering if anyone here might have some experience with this particular unit?
Be nice to have some feed back before taking the plunge...

Thanks for any and all advice in this regard!!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Normous

Re: Grinder Question

Post by Normous »

I don't have experience with that particular model but I do with their 1/2 hp Commercial Grade Grinder. My 1/2 hp one has never missed a beat in the 8 years that I have owned it, I even lend it to family and friends and it sure gets a workout every year. If you can afford the Commercial line I suggest taking at decent second look at it.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I don't have any with regards to that kind of unit but I made my own and I haven't found anything yet that could slow it down. I need to build a new case cover for my grinder. Coming home from the cottage this fall it was in the trailer and the case was not secure and it flew off somewhere between the cottage and our home. This will be a good time to build a new case.

Raymond
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

enormous wrote:...If you can afford the Commercial line I suggest taking at decent second look at it.
Had the 450 watt pro Model for the past 4 years, and it has eaten up ~ 3,000 pounds of product in that time. Good unit, but obviously not designed for the Heavy Labor we forced it to endure...

Would LOVE one of those over-powered $ 600 dollar units, but that simply ain't in the cards right now. That time of year, not working and the sheckles are flowing a little thin. Eventually we will get a commercial Biggie, after the coin starts to flow once more that is...

In the meantime, I think the one I noted above will provide a decent Instant Answer to get us through the balance of this year's efforts. Hoping anyway... And it more meets with my Fishing Bum's allowance of late... :lol:

Interesting looking set-up Raymond! A tad bulky for our operation, but looks Ready, Willing and Able to chew up an entire moose!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Normous

Post by Normous »

The price is right for the 500 watt that you are interested in. I remember getting my 1/2 hp Cabelas Commercial grinder on sale at $219, look at the price today 8 years later :shock:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

Pro-Cut KG-12W-FS meat grinder ,Pleasant Hill Grain, 1604 N. Hwy 14, Aurora, NE 68818 they have a web site also :shock:
Info/Orders: 1-800-321-1073
check them out, this is a very good grinder, i have had mine for ten years this is a comercial no bs grinder, on same level as hobart, biro ect.. fo a third the price. i have used all the comercial grinders on the market and i don't have a problem recommending it to any hunter out there. i know kinda pricey but it will last you 20 to 30 trouble free years easily.
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
dfrauenkron

Post by dfrauenkron »

We've ran the Cabelas commercial grinders for many years. If your doing the amount your saying I would recommend them. That being said, they are spendy but they are an investment and very solid machine. The one you have listed will certainly grind meat, and do just fine. If you have the time and want replace it every couple years go for it. Just my opinion, and experience.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

IronNoggin wrote:
enormous wrote:...If you can afford the Commercial line I suggest taking at decent second look at it.

Interesting looking set-up Raymond! A tad bulky for our operation, but looks Ready, Willing and Able to chew up an entire moose!

Cheers,
Nog
Hey Nog,
I have to tell you it probably could grind the entire moose, LOL. It is extremely quiet. I have ground bear meat for myself and for friends. They tell me that I would need to put it in the freezer to firm it up hard so that I could grind it, not necessary with this beast. Nothing slows it down. I worked in a store meat department with a brand new commercial grade #72 meat grinder and you could forget about talking while the meat grinder was running. I would put my grinder along side of that grinder, and I know I could out grind that and I could almost hear a pin drop with my grinder working. I am so pleased with the grinder. And for the job that it does and for what it costed it was well worth it.
Raymond
rayman

Post by rayman »

Broke down and got a 1 hs Cabelas grinder. Before Christmas they were on sale with free shipping. Only used it once so far. Me and a friend ground a 100 qt cooler full of boned out deer meat in 20 minutes. My friend timed it. I couldn't believe how fast we went through it.

Also recommend looking at a SS taping machine with bags and tape. Once you get going, the process is super fast. MUCH easier and faster process than vaccum packer or freezer paper and the meat seems to be staying fresh better.
http://store.butchersupply.net/tape-machines-c80.aspx :)
IH8ATTN

Post by IH8ATTN »

We just took a hand grinder and made a frankengrinder, 10 years running like a top :)

Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Hello IH8ATTN,
I would like to ask you some questions about your grinder but I don't want to here because it wouldn't be proper to hijack this thread so I will start another showing mine and hopefully you will come along.
Thanks,
Raymond