How Do you Use Non Xbow Scope?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

taz3

How Do you Use Non Xbow Scope?

Post by taz3 »

If you have a scope with cross hairs only, what are you dialling in at for distance and how do you compensate for a closer or further shot? I still have my Verizon's scope and really have no complaints with it, but I haven't been around the sport long enough to know any better yet. :roll: I do have a laser dot scope I wouldn't mind giving ago, because it can be used with both eyes.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
rt2bowhunter

Re: How Do you Use Non Xbow Scope?

Post by rt2bowhunter »

If your scope has a duplex cross hair and like a 2x7 power. You can sight the cross hair in for 30yds. Then adjust the power ring using the points of the duplex. For 20 and 40yds. I use a Leupold 1x4 shotgun scope on my Ibex set on 1.75 power and a 2x7 leupold shotgun scope on my Y25 set on 2 power.

I traded for a Excal twilight scope its on my Y25 now. To be honest its no Leupold but it sure is holding up good and its working just fine. I might just leave it on the Y.
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

X2 on the duplex crosshair with a variable scope. but for most of my hunting I do as wabi says with a 25 yd zero with the center crosshair an good to go from 20-30 yd an only a couple inches off inside that range that most of my deer are shot.if I know the exact range I will adjust my hold to allow for the couple inches by the old Kentucky windage an elevation method an if not thinking like I have a habit of I just use the center crosshair an shoot.works great for me!
wabi

Post by wabi »

With my Phoenix I use a Leupold 2-7X shotgun scope.
I'm sighted in at 25 yards and with my arrows (about 390gr) the arrow is never above or below the aiming point more than 3" from 0-30 yards. A "center of the kill zone" (vertical) hold will always put the arrow in the deers vitals.
I can also adjust the power (about 2.5X) and use the duplex reticle for 15 or 35 yards.
For hunting I've only used the duplex once (a 16 yard shot at my feeder), but usually just range several landmarks so I'll know when a deer is inside 30 yards. So far every deer I've shot at has gone down quickly with the "center of the kill zone" method of aiming.
wabi
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Thanks, maybe I'll try my other scope and see if I like it more or less.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

I can only recommend a Leupopd. I went from a shadow-zone to a Leupopd shotgun/muzzleloader scope on my Equinox.

I plan on using the same setup as wabi.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's