Smoked Venison Summer Sausage

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Smoked Venison Summer Sausage

Post by IronNoggin »

Here's another one we've been putting off for far too long!
Asked around a bit, and checked out many recipes online. Then decided to do what we do best, and create our own...

Summer Sausage The First Run...

14 lbs Ground Vension
7 lbs Ground Pork

2 Cups Ice Water
5 tsp Prague Powder (Cure) # 1
7 tblsp Salt
6 tblsp Demerara Sugar
1 tblspn White Sugar
4 tblsp Black Pepper
4 tblsp Garlic Powder
4 tblspn Chopped Garlic
4 tblsp Onion Powder
3 tblsp Dry Mustard
3 tblsp Paprika
2 tblsp Majoram
1 Bag (100 grams) Mustard Seed

Grind the two meat types and combine. Pour in the mustard seeds while mixing.

Pour the water into a large bowl, and mix the cure (Prague Powder) and spices well into it.
Pour the mixture over the meat, and mix rigorously.

Place sausage mix into a cold fridge and hold for 3 days. Well mix it twice a day. This allows the meat to cure completely, and the spices to mix well into it.

Shoot into three inch Summer Sausage casings. Hang for two hours to dry.

Pre-heat the smoker to ~ 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Place sausages into smoker, and allow to dry at this temperature for two more hours (all dampers on smoker wide open, no smoke yet)

Here's a picture of the sausage drying in the smoker:

Bring temperature up to ~ 135 degrees, and add chips (Hickory). Smoke for 2-3 hours at this heat range.

Bump temperature to 150 degrees and smoke another 2 or 3 hours.

Final temperature bump to ~ 175 and smoke until internal temperature of sausages reaches 152 degrees (about 2 hours).

A picture of the sausage when at this stage:

Remove from smoker and immediately drown in ice water (we use a cooler full of water & ice). Hold in cold bath until internal temperature drops below 120 degrees.

Remove from bath, and hang for 4 - 6 hours to bloom.

Cut & ENJOY!! :mrgreen:

Another Winner! And yet another that when we finally got around to it, we seriously wondered why it took us so long to do so!!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
vixenmaster

Re: Smoked Venison Summer Sausage

Post by vixenmaster »

Lookin real good, fine tastin sauage i bet. No smoker here yet of any kind. Gonna get a used stove wid a workin oven next week. Friends of ours up n bought a new one & we get theirs, Blessed yup.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

IronNoggin,

Do you ship to the States ? :D

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I forwarded it to a friend who process his own meat. I look forward to him making your recipe and me getting to try it out.

All the best.

IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

JT of PA wrote:.Do you ship to the States ?
Well... I would consider it, but there's this little thing called Homeland Security... :lol:

We do a LITTLE bit of smoking around here... LOL!

Here's the smoker set-up I've been using for the past 7 or 8 years:

The digital unit to the left is used for cold-smoking. The main smoker is an old converted fridge. For hot-smoking I use an infinite control hotplate and a cast iron frying pan for the chips. Works Very Well! It has consumed literally hundreds upon hundreds of pounds of product, and has never let me down. Decent capacity (8 screens). Unlikely I'll be switching any time soon, although if I ever win the Lottery, a custom stainless job slightly larger would be sweet! :wink:

Couple things to keep in mind when building a fridge smoker:
- The fridge must be an older design in that the insulation MUST be glass. The vast majority of today's modern fridges (and freezers) have foam insulation which, when heated, releases Formaldehyde! Very Dangerous! For that reason one has to be Very Careful to ensure you have a glass insulated fridge to create your build around!
- All plastics and rubber must be removed from the inside of the fridge. They too can and do release a handful of nasties when heated. I replace the main door panels with sheets of cedar, same with some freezer compartments, and plug the holes with stainless fittings (can use tinfoil though). The magnetic rubber door seal is good to go just don't get it overly hot.
- I also put locks (gate latches) to secure the door closed. Helps keeps wildlife, pets, buddies & kids from checking out how your product is coming along :twisted:

Have a few more Tried & True Recipes, and willing to post them if there's any interest...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Looks like you did a great job there Nog it makes my mouth water just looking at the final product. Fresh Venison Summer Sausage is hard to beat.

Thanks for the sharing.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That looks delicious Nog!! Yummy. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
wabi

Post by wabi »

Good looking smoker and product!
I like the idea of being able to cold smoke, but haven't taken that step (yet).
Had some smoked cheese (store bought) with supper this evening and I guess I'm one step close to rigging a cold smoke addition to my smoker. :lol:
wabi
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Nog,

What size grinding plate you use for either meat and what's in that aluminum container hanging above sausages?

Thanks!
Fazan
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I think that looks scrumptious. I had a smoker, :lol: :lol: :lol: , HAD. I just haven't got around to finishing my next one. I always like to try some recipes. I was just getting started and then it went up in smoke, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Thanks,
Raymond
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Fazan wrote:What size grinding plate you use for either meat
Medium Grinding Plate for both. 1/8" inch holes.
... and what's in that aluminum container hanging above sausages?
Condensation Collector. Due to the chimney pipe extending as far as it does outside the smoker, the often rather wide temperature variance between the inside of the smoker and outside, and the amount of moisture leaving the product being smoked, I often get condensation form on the inside of the pipe. That will run down onto the product if not collected, and while it presents no "eating" problem, it doesn't Look all that great IMHO. So I use that Drip Pan to collect it. One of my Buddies has me filter that into a jar for use as Liquid Smoke. As I have the Real Thing, I've never bothered, but his stuff (done in an oven) turns out OK.

Cheers,
Nog
secret

Post by secret »

That looks yummy!!!!!
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

Thanks again Nog!
I may try your recipe once. I have smoker and all ingredients, other than venison. Sooo, next fall maybe.