"Okay, you obviously dislike crossbows"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

one shot scott

Re: "Okay, you obviously dislike crossbows"

Post by one shot scott »

On one hand I would like to think I could be calm about the situation. But reality is that I'm not that calm. Especially with some of the stories you guys told!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

taz3 wrote: Hey Vixchix, maybe it's time you kept a blunt handy, it would funny to wiz by the ignorant, when they go to retrieve an arrow, while you are still shooting!! :lol:
Taz3 ... I think your above statement is the perfect example of being a bad influence. :lol: (Funny as all get out though. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I think I need to perfuse the blunt section of 3 Rivers Archery ... just in case. :wink:
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

Everyone,

A HUGE THANK YOU.

No idea why, but goober boy just got to me yesterday. My therapy was putting it out on the board. Many were kind to share their own experiences. I feel much better today and an ready to take on the goobers of the world again.

Thanks all for having my back.

All the best.
taz3

Post by taz3 »

JT of PA wrote:
taz3 wrote: Hey Vixchix, maybe it's time you kept a blunt handy, it would funny to wiz by the ignorant, when they go to retrieve an arrow, while you are still shooting!! :lol:
Taz3 ... I think your above statement is the perfect example of being a bad influence. :lol: (Funny as all get out though. :lol: :lol: :lol: )

I think I need to perfuse the blunt section of 3 Rivers Archery ... just in case. :wink:
taz3 is my birthdate 1966 6th month 3rd day 666=(taz)Tasmanian devil+3 so I can't help it!LOL!! :lol:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
JT of PA

Post by JT of PA »

taz3 wrote:
JT of PA wrote:

taz3 is my birthdate 1966 6th month 3rd day 666=(taz)Tasmanian devil+3 so I can't help it!LOL!! :lol:

OH MY ... You can't help it can you. :D
taz3

Post by taz3 »

No, it's my self induced paradox! :twisted:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

Just take one of their targets and put a bolt right through it.
What's 64 tons, green and black, and can take a deer at 3400m. A leopard tank.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I met one of these type of guys in NC too. He was a member of a the NCBA and thought crossbow hunters should not be allowed to hunt during archery season. The more he talked the more I could see he didn't even really hunt with a bow, neber shot a deer with a bow but was just being a mouthpiece for crap he has heard elsewhere.

And JT for what it is worth....I grew up near Pittsburgh, PA and went to Penn State. Knowing the way some people are there, what you describe does not surprise me at all. Not sure I would have held back as you did. In fact I'm pretty sure my mouth would have gone off for sure. Not sure why but STUPID really P's me off. I know that's wrong to say, but I'm still a work in progress too.....
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
cdnarmyguy

Post by cdnarmyguy »

Cossack wrote:I hunt turkey with mine. Actually had a dufus - who uses a shotgun - accuse me of cheating, said it was "like using a rifle." You can't fix stupid, not even with duct tape.
Yes you can, you take the tape, put it over their mouth.
What's 64 tons, green and black, and can take a deer at 3400m. A leopard tank.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

You're going to have idiots like that everywhere you go usually. Normally, the recurve/longbow shooters are going to be worse than the compound shooters because they are more of the "purists" that think that anything different that their method is wrong. :roll:

Here's a good one in "contradiction" for you. The United Bowhunters of Kentucky has on their web site:
Our Goals
UBK seeks to involve clubs and individual bowhunters with our organization for a collective voice against anti-hunting sentiments and to communicate with the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife (KDFWR).

United Bowhunters of Kentucky was founded because of the need to protect and promote bowhunting in Kentucky. Along the way, we have found it best to instill in our members a desire to abide by the "Rules of Fair Chase" and a code of ethics.

We were not concerned with the type of bow an individual would choose to carry, but rather the attitude these individuals carried.

Members of UBK agree that a bow is defined as a Longbow, recurve bow or a compound bow that is hand-held and hand-drawn, and that has no device to enable the hunter to lock the bow at full or partial draw.
OK, how can they not be concerned about the type of bow that someone uses, but then later define what they consider a bow? :? They go on later to issue a statement about crossbows:
1985 Stance on the Crossbow

The UBK respects all sportsmen regardless of whether they hunt, fish, trap, photograph, or hike in the out of doors. We recognize these people, regardless of weapon, as fellow sportsmen. We ONLY represent the BOWHUNTER. We were formed to promote, protect, and preserve the SPORT of BOWHUNTING. Therefore, we have taken this stance against the crossbow as legal archery equipment and its use during any of the archery season.

The crossbow does not remotely resemble a hand held bow and arrow and certainly doesn’t qualify as a hand-drawn and released weapon. The crossbow looks and performs more like a gun than a bow. The crossbow is held, aimed, and fired, like a rifle. It can be carried in a loaded, ready to fire position. The compound crossbow is far to accurate and deadly to be allowed during the entire archery season. The crossbow is far easier to shoot and requires less skill and practice to become proficient than a bow.

If the crossbow is allowed during the entire archery season it would lead to only one thing, an increase in harvest numbers, and therefore a shorter season. This is what UBK has pledged to protect against.

In addition, all major bowhunting organizations, state and national, oppose the crossbow and The Pope & Young Club does not allow game taken with a crossbow in its record book.
An organization that professes to "unite" all bowhunters in the state is against crossbows. :roll: Go figure.

Several years ago, the KDFWR tried expanding the crossbows throughout the entire crossbow season. The main opposition came from the UBK. Because of it, we got a little bit of expansion as a compromise, but not full expansion.

I'm lucky to a certain extent. I don't go to shooting ranges anywhere. I've got a 100 yd shooting range set up in my back yard that I shoot my pistols, rifles, and crossbow at. Because of that, I don't have to deal with idiots not liking the crossbow. I hunt our family farm exclusively, so there's no one there to give me crap about the crossbow. About all of my dealings with external stuff is with Hunter Education and Bowhunter Education. With both of those, we have the crossbows on hand, present the facts and let the students shoot the crossbows. Due to the positions that we're in as Instructors, the students usually don't voice any opinions on the crossbows prior to shooting them. They will however tell us afterwards that after shooting the crossbow, it wasn't what they thought it was and it definitely changed their opinion.

Every now and then I'll run into someone somewhere that is "anti-crossbow". Usually it's at work or somewhere I don't have the crossbow. I'll talk to the person and try to find out why they don't like crossbows and then counter what they have to say. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

[quote]1985 Stance on the Crossbow

The compound crossbow is far to accurate and deadly to be allowed during the entire archery season. The crossbow is far easier to shoot and requires less skill and practice to become proficient than a bow.
quote]

This is the kind of stuff that really bothers me. I'm pretty sure if one of these guys had a compound bow that was accurately sighted in, and had the same draw length as me, and would let me shoot it, that I could be dinging a 2" bullseye at 20 yds within 3 shots. Does that mean it does not take skill?

These are the same guys using bows with 70% or 80% letoff, fiber-optic sights, stabilizers and release aids. Doesn't seem too much like a traditional bow to me.

And their statements about harvest numbers have been de-bunked over and over by states such as Ohio that have allowed crossbows for years and years and saw not real change in the harvet numbers, or like PA or NC where they recently allowed crossbows in archery season and it didn't "decimate the herd" like people like the UBK idiots said it would.

Oh well.....some people aren't happy unless they are complaining I guess.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Oh, believe me, I know. :roll: They really "decimate" the herd around here. :roll:

The archery (vertical bow) season in KY ran consecutively from 9/1/12 - 1/21/13, for a total of 143 days.

The crossbow season was broken up into the following: 10/1/12 - 10/21/12, 11/10/12 - 12/31/12, for a total of 73 days.

There were 18,708 deer taken with vertical bows this year.
There were 2,488 deer taken with crossbows this year.

The total deer harvest this year was 131,391.

Crossbows accounted for 1.89% of the total deer harvest. :roll:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Big58cal wrote:Oh, believe me, I know. :roll: They really "decimate" the herd around here. :roll:

The archery (vertical bow) season in KY ran consecutively from 9/1/12 - 1/21/13, for a total of 143 days.

The crossbow season was broken up into the following: 10/1/12 - 10/21/12, 11/10/12 - 12/31/12, for a total of 73 days.

There were 18,708 deer taken with vertical bows this year.
There were 2,488 deer taken with crossbows this year.

The total deer harvest this year was 131,391.

Crossbows accounted for 1.89% of the total deer harvest. :roll:

That's because y'all are so unskilled :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

That really sucks the way they broke it up. They cut crossbow hunters out of the best 3 weeks of deer hunting by my guess. In OH the best time is from about Oct 20 to Nov 10 every year. It's not too much different in NC either so I'm guessin' that hold in KY too.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

You got me curious, so here are the deer harvest statistics for 2011-2012 in NC. Here, crossbows are legal anytime archery equipment is legal.

Total Deer = 173,553
Gun = 138,062 (79.55%)
Muzzeloader = 19,635 (11.31%)
Bow = 11,971 (6.90%)
Crossbow = 3,885 (2.24%)

Antlered Buck = 80,014
Gun = 64,292 (80.35% of bucks, 46.57% of all Gun deer)
Muzzeloader = 10,057(12.60% of bucks, 51.22% of all muzzeloader deer)
Bow = 4,292 (5.36% of bucks, 35.85% of all bow deer)
Crossbow = 1,373 (1.72% of bucks, 35.34% of all Xbow deer)

You can't really argue with this data - but I'm sure there are those who will try.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><