Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ngamokai

My review after 87 shots. KATIPO aka matrix 380

Post by ngamokai »

Ok,
1: it IS quieter than the Equinox
2: it is faster
3: It is NOT easier to cock at all, side by side theres just no way it s the same.
4: it is a beast :twisted:
way lighter and good to shoot. the scope is crap, sorry but a spade is a spade, its great to use and I will be keeping it for now but I like hi quality optics and the tac zone is not.
the finish is average but I really don't care, its a tool for filling my freezer and it will do that very well indeed.
My friend and I put around 87 odd arrows through her today and got it shooting dead on at 20 yards. the view was too good to go to a place to shoot out to 60 so Ill be shooting more over the coming days, I did not shoot the Diablo arrows, I used my custom arrows @ 436 grains, 150 field tips and 3" vanes, awesome :cool:

I was getting some flyers but most groups were in the 1 to 2" area. stuffed 4 arrows robin hood styles, sorry no pics of groups as I just did not think of it, at the time, I did a small vid and a few of the bows so you can understand why I did not want to go anywhere for distance shooting.

over all I am happy, I think Excalibur should maybe up the price a little and put a scope on it that does the bow justice but thats just me......

the vid of me firing Katipo :mrgreen:
http://youtu.be/2gPTPfscnjM

side by side Equinox and Katipo

the view

the drive home

just so you all know, I take these pics as I know most of you are waiting for better weather and stuck indoors a lot, so it is for your entertainment, I hope you have had as much fun reading my journey into my Matrix as I have. keep safe
Matthew
Last edited by ngamokai on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dream as if you'll live for ever, Live as if you'll die today!
http://www.bowandfishnz.com
KATIPO matrix 380 blackout
JT of PA

Re: My review after 87 shots. KATIPO aka matrix 380

Post by JT of PA »

You indeed live in a stunningly beautiful land.

Thanks for the latest update/thoughts as you go through the wringing-out phase.

All the best.

vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yup fine review even better views, looks like Fishin to me. Go out sip a couple cold ones sit in the sun n relax :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mowerman

Post by mowerman »

Nice review, Matt. I am in complete agreement on the Tact Zone scope. Loved the light weight and it was extremely clear when held just right. We are talking absolute dead on, don't twitch, don't blink, don't breath dead center. Problem being, if you did not have your eye dead center in one very small area, it was smear city. How do you hunt a whitetail moving through brush with that?
I have been using scopes for 50 years and this may be the worst; next to one I bought in 1964 at TG&Y for a BB gun for $1.00. Anyway, sent it back to Danny M and am upgrading to the 2 x 7 Leupold. Don't believe they are made in China.
My Matrix 355 is top notch. I love it and am very proud to own it. I just hope the next time I pay almost a grand for an Excalibur, it has something on top that is not made in China.
Some guys like them, some don't. I just happen to be one that can't make it function.
Just my 2 cents worth fella's. Have a great day!
By the way, love the pictures. We just got 12 plus inches of snow in less than 12 hours. Lot of shoveling for an old man!
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

this is the first user review that i have read that says the 380 is not easier to cock :?: glad i am leaning towards the 355, and have the crankaroo just in case
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
taz3

Post by taz3 »

Great review and glad you're happy with it! :D

I'm hoping they'll sell a bare model, rather then step it up with a better scope. while most guys are happy with some models of scopes, it would be nice to add what each prefers on their own rather then a generic model. That's a tough one to suck up, knowing a scope is a few bucks and receiving one that doesn't fit your bill 100%.
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Nice review! I strongly suggest a Leupold VX-1 heavy duplex shotgun/muzzleloader scope in matte finish for your Matrix 380 blackout. Leupold scopes are made in U.S.A. and you certainly get what you pay for in optics.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
ngamokai

Post by ngamokai »

the more I play around with this bow the more I like it, knowing what I know now I think I would like the 355, after the amount of shots taken yesterday I am feeling it a little :shock: :lol:

As yet I do not trust it fully, I am heading out today to muck around out to 60+ yards, also I found that I like the 20" arrows on the 380, seemed to shoot very well with them, I did let one broad head go at the bag @ 20 yards yesterday, what was stopping the field points did not stop that, it went straight through and imbedded itself in a pine tree, awesome.

is it worth the grand+? Id say yes if it had a better scope, that is my only gripe really, I would also HIGHLY recommend getting Don (Boo) to sort a string out for you, with whiskers, seemed to quiet the bow down nicely and his servings are second to none in my opinion.

As far as the size and weight goes, it really is a big difference, we were shooting free standing with one hand for a laugh and I could not do that with My friends Equinox.

the holes in the underside that attached the mount for the quiver bracket were off, and I had to widen one of them to avoid threading a screw, keep this in mind when putting it together, as its alloy it will thread easily so be careful.

I am really happy to be a part of this forum, I have met great people here and with the information gained here it assisted my decision in getting this bow, really nice to have contacts over there and if any forum members are in New Zealand at any stage PM me and Id be happy to offer advice and even a few beers if you get to my Island....

M
Normous

Post by Normous »

I bet a Leupold will handle the sighting chores soon enough.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

ngamokai wrote:... after the amount of shots taken yesterday I am feeling it a little...
Wuss! :lol:

Thought you Kiwi's were s'posed to be Tough? Even this skinny little Canadian had no issues with shootin' ~ 75 shots an afternoon from the 380! Guess we simply grow 'em a tad Tougher in the North Buddy :wink: :lol:

Kidding aside, I'm liking what you have to say. Looking Forward to your results at distance!

Keep on Having Fun! I'm LOVIN' mine too!

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Andrew.....Re the Leupold, is this unit you speak of --the vx1--- lighted? I see where it weighs 9.9 oz can anyone tell me how much this Tact Zone weighs. Since it is sighted in I don't wish to remove it to weigh it. So far I have had no problems with the one that came on my 355. I like the single lighted dot and chevrons better than the lit cross hairs. Just wondering if Leupold makes a lighted model or if this one you mention is lighted. Cheers
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes
yooper_man

Post by yooper_man »

Mister B,

The Leupold VX-1 doesn't have an illuminated reticle. I swapped my Excalibur shadow-zone scope for a Leupold VX-I which was the model before the VX-1. I feel the light gathering capabilities of my Leupold with heavy reticle crosshair gives me more than enough low light performance. I tried the shadow-zones illumination, but I found it a distraction plus the scope was really dark in low light conditions. The Leupold is also much lighter in weight than the shadow-zone

Leupold's VX-R has illuminated firedot reticles, they come in a much higher price that the VX-1.

Andrew
2013 Excalibur Matrix 355 Xtra

2007 Leupold VX-I 2-7x33 Dark Earth NWTF Edition Turkey Plex scope

Dan xcaliber flemish Brownell XS2 string, 18" Easton XX75 2219 aluminum shafts, 2" Bohning Blazer vanes, NAP 170gr F.O.C., Danny Miller's RBBB's
billygoat

Post by billygoat »

Well i think i would look at the hawke XB-1 SR, very nice and has chevs out to 100yds Matt. Maybe the XB-30 as well with chevs out to 60. These clearly are right up there as far as clear optics go, some would say the best for crossbows.
Matt and i were shooting these bows at my house yesterday and i can clearly state that the 380 is NOT easier to cock that is for sure. Ive owned the Equinox for two years so my groups were spot on and with a new Boo string its a formidable beast.
To prove this point i split one of Matts arrows at 20yds with a freestanding shot.
Must admit i was surprised to do this but it sure made me feel good, Haaa.
We found with the same weighted arrows that penetration was almost the same at 20yds.
After shooting the 380 i think i would hands down buy the 355 if i was to move anywhere from the equinox, I really enjoyed the compact design and lightweight feel of the new bow. I didnt enjoy cocking it or the scope...
I have gone through two Shadowzone scopes on my Equinox and must say this,
Please please please Excalibur change the quality of your scopes!!
Why a company that makes the best of the best in re-curves would put a cheap scope on their bows is beyond me??. With proven offerings from leupold, Hawke etc etc why would you???.
I guess if they sell the bare bow option we would have a choice... that would be nice!!
Last edited by billygoat on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Equinox 225lb with S5 system
ShadowZone scope
Gold tip laser II - Firebolts - Horton lightning strike w luminoks.
Excalibur x-act 100g -Magnus stinger buzzcut 100g
If you love something set it free if it doesnt come back hunt it down and kill it!!
Sloppy Does

Post by Sloppy Does »

How is the serving wear at this point?
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
ngamokai

Post by ngamokai »

Sloppy Does wrote:How is the serving wear at this point?
after well over 100 shots after this afternoon ummmm what serving wear??? it is a Boo string after all :cool: