3D Crossbow suggestions?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

NEPAbowhunter

3D Crossbow suggestions?

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

What crossbow would you recommend for shooting 3D? I currently have a Vortex set up for hunting. I was thinking of getting an IBEX SMF and using it just for shooting 3D. There is a an outdoor 3D league about an hours drive from me that is allowing crossbows this year and I plan on shooting a lot this spring and summer. Do you think the IBEX would serve me well? Most shots should be under 40 yards. Am I wasting my money and should just use the Vortex? When I could shoot a compound I had bows set up for 3D and for hunting, and I'm kind of leaning that way with the crossbow. I am not even considering any of the new Matrix bows because of the cost. I am leaning towards the IBEX because of the cost and the fact it should be a little easier on the serving than any of the 200 pound plus crossbows. Any thoughts?
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
VixChix

Re: 3D Crossbow suggestions?

Post by VixChix »

Faster, flatter can get you higher scores but the more moderate poundage bows are easier on the servings, strings, and scopes.... and more forgiving in event of a dryfire (which is more likely to happen when out shooting with others and with more distractions - and yup that's the voice of experience :oops: ).

I use only one bow for both hunting and 3D - my poop brown Vixen. :)

Whatever you decide to shoot, pick up a Danny Miller arrow puller - that's the one item I'd really hate to go to a 3D shoot without.

Go out, shoot and have fun! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
ELLIS

Post by ELLIS »

I shoot 3D year round using an Equinox for just the reason VixChix mentions....faster, flatter can get you higher scores. So if your yardage estimation is a little out it makes little difference if any after the shot. My arrows, carbon, weigh 365 grains. I reserve my strings using a copy of Boo's Serving Jig. The serving material is BCY Angel Majesty Serving Material .026". I am currently rotating 4 strings. I average 3 tournaments and a lot of practice shooting from each serving.

Tournaments is this area only have 30 to 40 targets with a lot of down time between shots. Pulling this bow back for the day to cock is not an issue and I am not in the best of shape as well pushing 60.

As for dry fires, like VixChix, there are a ton of distractions shooting with a bunch of guys.... my dry fires so far have either resulted in nothing happening to the bow (and string) or my string is 20 or so feet downrange. If the latter happens a replacement is put on in seconds. To date none of my dry fired strings has ever been damaged.

If you are shooting IBO rules at a Tournament you will find the Matrix to be way too fast unless you plan on using very heavy arrows. Here in Ontario I am allowed a maximum speed of 350 feet per second.
Last edited by ELLIS on Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Equinox (2011)
Leupold VX-2 3-9x33mm Ultralight EFR Scope
HHA Optimizer
TriggerTech Target Trigger
OFAH Member
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Get a Boo string on your Vortex, serving probs disappear. Would guess the same is true for Vixenmaster offerings but don't know, haven't used mine yet.

I'd say use the same bow you hunt w/, 3D is great practice......if you can cock it 30+ times, lol.

X2 on the Miller pullers, absolutely needed.......put some kind of snot on the 1st inch of carbons is another good tip.........

Have fun!!
"Eze 18:21"
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

My buddy used his for 3D with no problems. Going down
25lbs is not going to make a huge difference. Might want to go all the way to a Vixen and make the change fairly big to see a difference. (50lbs) Thats my opinion. Having a spare bow is not a bad idea. Saved me last fall when I had a scope fail. Grabbed second bow and never missed a beat. :)
TPM

Post by TPM »

Get a Boo string on your Vortex, serving probs disappear. Would guess the same is true for Vixenmaster offerings but don't know, haven't used mine yet.
Agreed. Not sure the secret of Boo's servings but I can get 300+ shots out of one with my Phoenix. Got a Vixenmaster string on now. Looks great and I'll be putting it through it's paces on the 3D circuit this year. :D
X2 on the Miller pullers, absolutely needed.......put some kind of snot on the 1st inch of carbons is another good tip.........

X3. No arrow pullers come close to the Danny Miller pullers. I wouldn't dream of hitting the 3D course without them. :D
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger