F.O.C

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sloppy Does

F.O.C

Post by Sloppy Does »

The goldtip site says FOC should be between 7 and 15% but between 7 and 10% is the more desired. My question is does this apply to crossbows as well or is it slightly different for us? Im asking this because if I get a Matrix I'll get my arrows at the same time. I'll be shooting 100 gr Rage Hypodermics if they are as good as they appear to be. I also noticed that with GT laser 4's the brass insert is only 60grains as opposed to 110gr. I am using their calcualtor to work up an arrow combo and like to hear your thoughts on this.
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
diesel

Re: F.O.C

Post by diesel »

I feel you see most people like a higher FOC than that. I set mine between 15 and 17% and I would bet most set theirs even higher than that. I set mine between 15 and 17% because I want my arrows shooting fast and flat. There are trade offs. The higher the FOC the easier it is for the vanes to correct the arrow in flight the better penetration.
Read Dr. Ed Ashbry he has some great info on this.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I'd bet most guys don't even bother checking the FOC.

If you put a tip on the end of these short arrows, then you have enough FOC.

I've shot light set-ups and heavy ones in my Exomax and both extremes are very accurate.

The heavier arrows have a smoother take-off and less vibrations, but, are slower . . .just a personal preference really.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

The shorter the arrow, the more a healthy FOC value will factor into good arrow flight. Mechanicals will be more forgiving of a low FOC value but I'd try to get at least 12-15% if you can ( I like Diesel's 15-17% range). This FOC range is only my opinion. Shoot the set-up you planned on and see how things look. If you're not seeing good results, switch to 125s then 150s if you're still not satisfied.
In the Wind.......
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

X2 on Smileys post, however me thinks FOC only affects fixed blade bheads.
"Eze 18:21"
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Prefer 18-20% FOC for my arrows that weight 400-425 grs.total (depending if 100 or 125 gr is used) fletched with 2" Blazers at right helical. Using either Slick Tricks or Spitfires. they hit same POI as field tips....no broadhead practice required.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Boo

Post by Boo »

A set up with a 60 gr brass insert should fly well but the big question is do you need it?
Increasing FOC should be done to correct an arrow flight issue. If an arrow flies straight as a laser what are you going to achieve with a heavier front insert? I don't measure FOC.
I haven't had time to shoot my Black Eagle Arrows yet but the Carbon Express Maxima Hunters fly great out of all of my bows with fixed broadheads. The shafts come with an aluminum front insert and a plastic rear insert. I was happy about the speeds but not happy with the fixed broadhead flight. So I increased the offset of the fletchings and I have great accuracy to 40 yards.
Your bow might shoot fixed broadheads to your satisfaction with minimal FOC but you won't know until you try it.
If you are trying to get good flight with minimum effort, the use a brass insert and an Arizona EZ Fletch Bolt.
What set up you choose should be based on what you want to achieve. It might be speed/flat trajectory, it might be bone smashing weight, it may be a more quiet bow or a combination of things. I think one should start there.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
secret

Post by secret »

ImageImageImageIf you want more upfront just buy the GT tool and add some weight i do....."never glue your nocks"
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string