Couple of modifications / ideas

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Lucky-Dog

Couple of modifications / ideas

Post by Lucky-Dog »

Just messing around mostly. I didn't like the quiver sitting out so far so I bought a three arrow quiver and mounted it just close enough to where I can still hold the stock comfortably. I also filed the scope mount so it doesn't touch the vanes. The last thing I did was install an adapter mount for the Stoney Point "Pole Cat". We already have the same adapter mounted on the .223 rifle. We also have a V-yoke to snap on the bi-pod for use with shotgun (turkey) and I then I just mounted the adapter on the crossbow shown in top picture. So now we can use the same bi-pod stand for all three (rifle, shotgun, crossbow) :D
I simply love the versatility of the Stoney Point and the way it swivels and moves. The bi-pod set I have is made to adjust from sitting (mostly in lawn chair for me) position to standing.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
Dereck

Re: Couple of modifications / ideas

Post by Dereck »

good job :D

smaller quiver really is the way to go
Tenpoint Matrix
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Looks good! if it don,t suit you make it :D :D :D
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed May 08, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

That looks good fuzzy. I should have done mine like that.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

An impartial observation if anyone is interested.
You will be surprised how much more strength will be retained in the front half of the mount if a square corner is avoided and a quarter radius cut instead. The photo of fuzzy's seems to indicate that a radius would still clear the vanes.
Basically it looks like a good modification... Jus-sain :roll:
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

I believe you are correct Tinker and that is part of the reason I did mine the way I did. I do like the way his looks though. When I was filing mine I noticed the strength of the mount and believe that the scope would have to be damged from a pretty big impact to bend the mount but I could be wrong and in that case I would replace the scope and the mount. I can see where his would be more susceptible to bend in the event of an impact though.
On a different note. In time after shooting several rounds I will probably cut the extra sticking out the other side on the quiver mount bracket if I end up liking it that way and I believe I will.
Thanks for your observation.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed May 08, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

fuzzy wrote:
Good eye :) you are correct and there is nothing wrong with Lucky-Dogs mods, just showing different styles. That bow is no safe queen :lol: has been droped, tossed across creeks, forced thru the bush, slid around in beds of trucks, left out all night in the rain etc,..etc.... 8 years running, never bent mount or lost zero. :D Good luck.

Fuz: I suspect your modification would probably never cause a problem under most circumstances; but, if on an extended hunt in the boonies somewhere, falling down wrong could really ruin a guys day :oops:
Of course a little Kentucky windage/elevation could prove useful in that case... :roll:

Wondering how far in from the nock you are fletching? I went with SK-300's and it appears you are using three inchers also, Eh? [like to say "eh?" to look like a Kanuck] :mrgreen:
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed May 08, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheTinker

Post by TheTinker »

fuzzy wrote:It's all good :)

I use Truflight round back 4" right wing feathers in floro white, straight fletch..right offset, set 3/4" from end of nock. Puts fletching approx 1/16" off housing. :D Good luck.
THANX :)
Moedaddy

Post by Moedaddy »

Cool mods!!!!
strum

Post by strum »

i am curious...but before i ask..i want to say fuzzy im in no way dissin yer mod ..if it works for you then im all for it..
my thinking(question) is that even if vanes are rubbing the scope mount.
even if the mount is putting pressure on the vanes...does it realy have an effect on arrow fight?..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

strum wrote:i am curious...but before i ask..i want to say fuzzy im in no way dissin yer mod ..if it works for you then im all for it..
my thinking(question) is that even if vanes are rubbing the scope mount.
even if the mount is putting pressure on the vanes...does it realy have an effect on arrow fight?..
I altered mine because once in a while one of my vanes would come loose . I looked for the problem and since I mark my cock vane It was always my left top vane that would come loose in the back. I saw that it would get bent pretty good so I altered my mount . It only seam to do that on my Blazers not my feathers or other vanes the Blazers do sit up a little higher . So far it has worked but I only have about 50 shots in since I reworked it. I didn't see any effect on My arrow flight one way or the other.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Lucky-Dog

Post by Lucky-Dog »

I only filed off just enough to clear the vanes that Im currently using. The reason that I did so was only for personal preference. These SK-300 vanes that Im using are very stiff vanes. So I can only guess that when they are temporarily disfigured especially in cold weather for maybe a couple hours or so then it is in my opinion that they might very well miss POI by a slight difference especially with a broadhead. I have not tested this theory but it really didn't take much time for me to eliminate this possibility. I have simulated the same bend on the vanes in warm conditions and then when releasing the bend I immediately sat and watched how the vane returned to its mostly normal fletched / glued position. This time that it took for full vane reposition took longer than the flight time before the arrow would hit its target. Again I cant prove that POI in cold conditions would be worse but Im a stickler when it comes to small things like this. I certainly hope that it didn't bother anyone by posting it. Excalibur has been shooting theyre bows the way they are for years and no complaints so like I said its just a personal preference for me.
Thanks for listening.
Matrix Cub
Montec CS 100 grain